Tradition finisher scope

Junuxx

Emperor
Is it

Adopting all policies in the Tradition tree will grant (+15% :c5food: Growth) and (a free Aqueduct in your first 4 cities)

or

Adopting all policies in the Tradition tree will grant (+15% :c5food: Growth and a free Aqueduct) in your first 4 cities

:confused:

You can find an answer by hovering over food basket inside your satellite city. ;)

Moriarte said it obliquely, but the finisher gives you an "empire" modifier that gives you 15% growth in all cities. You can see this yourself by firing up a game, finishing tradition, and acquiring more than 4 cities. So the answer is, 15% growth in all cities.

For those in doubt (candidly, I don't think I had ever paid attention to the scope of this piece of the Tradition finisher), I just fired up a 9-city Tradition game (don't ask) and "15% Empire Modifier" appears in each city. It also appears in my 8 puppets.

I'm kinda bummed that it works in puppets - limiting their growth is hard enough as it is. (And, FWIW, ToA also works in puppets, which makes puppet pop management even harder.)

In addition, the free Aqueduct appears to also work on puppets if you didn't found four cities that you built first.

I have had more than one game in which I had 3 cities and one or two puppets at the time I finished tradition. The 4th aqueduct has always gone to the first puppet I acquired.

Just messing around during the Final Four BB games on Saturday. Emperor Pangaea, where I do most of my "I wonder whether ..." experimentation. Completed Tradition and Piety, plus the Order opener, in a turn 209 domination victory with my religion in every city. Would have been faster if I hadnt fooled around with all those cities, and Piety, and wonder spamming, and ... er, whatever....

I did say don't ask....

So it is the first option after all. Kind of unexpected given the overall flavor of Tradition, and also rather strong I think. Hmm.

I'm kinda bummed that it works in puppets - limiting their growth is hard enough as it is. (And, FWIW, ToA also works in puppets, which makes puppet pop management even harder.)

This can be a bit annoying, but +Growth modifiers won't change the point at which a city will stop growing, only how fast they will reach that point.

Interesting, I hadn't even considered that the growth modifier didn't apply to all cities. Now that I think about it, I have to admit I'm kinda surprised it isn't just your first 4 cities as well.

The only issue I have with this is that the qualifier 'first 4 cities' isn't always clear when dealing with puppets, and I wouldn't want the bonus wasted on a city I happened to capture early on.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know how Legalism and the Tradition finisher is affected by puppets? I recently played a culture game as France where I captured Persia's capital before settling my fourth city (but after taking Legalism), and I don't think my fourth (fifth including puppet) city got the free monument.

In this case, the +15% growth would have been wasted on the puppet.

Any city (founded yourself, puppeted, annexed or (worst of all) in the process of being razed) that you own when you adopt Legalism will get the free culture building. Any city you found after that time (up to your 4th of course) will get the free culture building; any city you conquer will not.

Any city (founded yourself, puppeted, annexed or (worst of all) in the process of being razed) that you own when you adopt Legalism will get the free culture building. Any city you found after that time (up to your 4th of course) will get the free culture building; any city you conquer will not.

Browd seems to be our treasure trove of CiV knowledge.

I don't have my save on hand which is why I asked. I didn't recall seeing the free monument in Persepolis, but after reading your comment it occurred to me that it most likely was burned down in one of Persia's other cities that I razed during my conquest. This most likely explains my confusion.

In addition, it appears the same exact logic is the case for the Tradition finisher.
Any city you own (up to 4 cities) will get the free aqueduct. Any city founded after that time (up to your 4th) will get a free aqueduct; any city you conquer will not.

And in both cases: Austria marrying a city state counts as conquering.

Top Bottom