First time OCC game and playing as the Incans

McBean

Chieftain
As the title states this is my first time trying a OCC game as well as playing the Incans. I'm playing a King / Pangaea / Standard map. Would you consider the start shown below to be a good one? This was the first one that popped up for me.

The pros I see are:
- Flanked by mountains (defense and observatory)
- Plenty of hills next to those mountains for terrace farms.
- River

The Con
- Only seeing 1 luxury. Hopefully I'll see more once I start moving that warrior around.

When playing as the Incans is it best to utilize all hills for terrace farms or should some be used for mines in order to boost production? I know in a OCC game you want to grow as big as possible so I'm thinking all farms.

I'm skimming thru a OCC guide on here now so I'll probably start playing this one later on.

Attachments

• 2013-04-09_00001.jpg
    2013-04-09_00001.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 179
Well the first thing is, move your warrior NE or E to peek around a little more.

In addition to only having one luxury, it looks like the start really lacks food. You're going to have a lot of trouble growing beyond pop 4 or so, until you can get some terrace farms up and running.

My vote? Reroll. Since it's your first game playing OCC I would try to get a quality start to make it a little easier. Possibly 1 lux is rough (and doesn't look like you'll have many if any dupes) as well.

Personally I would reroll until I found a start that's river, on a hill, next to mountain, 2 luxes, and a couple wheat/deer/cow etc to get you started. And of course, a few nice terrace farm locations. You don't have to, but OCC could be rough without a nice start (especially if King is your normal comfort level).

This start looks challenging but could be fun with some crazy terrace farms.

All that forest though... Lots of chopping. Might not be the best start for a first time OCC but I do like challenges so I would try it.

Keep the save and give it a shot. I don't usually reroll when I play OCC, I just give it a shot and see what happens. With all the hills and forest it is hard to see what is out there. Could end up being a good map.

The nice thing is you have a river and mountains close (observatory - and don't have to move settler too much).

Will be a slow start but if you can focus on getting farms up you should be OK.

As for your question about mines/vs farms - go terrace farms all day long. Grow Grow Grow. I like to aim for 45-50 pop in my OCC cities. Happiness is not a problem in OCC so grow!

Gave it a go and won a late T355 science victory. Once I founded the city I saw that I had marble and more dyes. So those helped. It was slow going from the start. I misplaced a couple of builds and was having a hard time making friends early. I only had 3 RA's to start and those took a little while to get. The civs never seemed to have any gold to do the RA's. I eventually got up to 5 RA's, but all ending at different times. At least I had a bunch of repeat customers.

Austria was the only CIV to DOW me. She also made the fastest peace offer I've ever seen soon after that. The screenshot below doesn't show here units anymore, but they were all lined up just to the right of the mountains. It was comical. She couldn't decide if she wanted to attack from the north or south, never moving a unit into my land. I guess she could only see a couple of tiles into my land so she didn't know what units I had. She sent in a lone great war infantry to the north and quickly retreated, then made peace. I think I got a total of 4 artillery shots off.

Greece started the Apollo program one turn after I launched. I find it surprising that none of the other civs were even close in tech this late in the game.

I guess I'll be trying another OCC game again.

Attachments

• 2013-04-11_00001.jpg
    2013-04-11_00001.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 79
Top Bottom