Relevance of Geographic Location

This is why I'm baffled at people who say that the Khmer won't or shouldn't be included because Siam is already in. So what if they are? Siam and the Khmer Empire were not the same thing. Of course there were cultural similarities, because they existed in similar regions. But there was not much overlap of their territory, and they were not linked politically. They would not have the same city lists, and uniques could be found for the Khmer that would make them different from other civs. There is no argument I can see against the Khmer that could not equally well apply to any of the European civs. Saying Siam precludes the Khmer is no different from saying Germany can't get in because France already is, or the Netherlands can't get in because England already is. It's nonsense. Trying to get Siam and Thailand both in might be silly (like trying to get both England and Great Britain), but the Khmer Empire was different from Siam and should not be excluded merely because "Well, we've got Southeast Asia covered already." We've got Europe covered, too, and exhaustively.

While I agree that Khmer and Siam are distinct enough to warrant the inclusion of both, I think unfortunately the devs don't agree with you (at least so far). Civ has always been a Eurocentric game, for better or worse - so to them, getting one SE Asian civ is enough. It is enough to represent the "other". Europe's familiar. It's easy for the audience of the games (living mainly in North America and Western Europe) to see the differences between Germany and France. It's not so easy for them to see the difference between Khmer and Siam, and the devs account for this in their decision. Unfortunate? Yes. But that's how it is. Still, with BNW, I'm hoping that one other SE Asian civ gets in - in terms of "diversity", either Indonesia or Vietnam is viewed distinct enough from Siam to a mild extent (in public perception, maybe) that either might get in - Indonesia because it's all Muslim these days (thus seen differently to the common man than the other SE Asian states (well, except Malaysia, maybe)), and Vietnam because of the association with the Vietnam War and the fact that it's the only Sinicized SE Asian state (rather than an Indianized one)

I would like to see ethnic groups starting in individual clusters (i.e. Africans civs next to african civs, etc.), in areas similar to the actual terrain of where those civs are located.

While I agree that Khmer and Siam are distinct enough to warrant the inclusion of both, I think unfortunately the devs don't agree with you (at least so far). Civ has always been a Eurocentric game, for better or worse - so to them, getting one SE Asian civ is enough. It is enough to represent the "other". Europe's familiar. It's easy for the audience of the games (living mainly in North America and Western Europe) to see the differences between Germany and France. It's not so easy for them to see the difference between Khmer and Siam, and the devs account for this in their decision. Unfortunate? Yes. But that's how it is.

I mean there are people right here in these forums saying Siam rules out the Khmer. I agree the developers could stand to be less Eurocentric, but it really floors me to see people here thinking Siam and the Khmer are basically the same.

I just envision the game being developed in Cambodia, with the Khmer, Siam, Vietnam, and Malaysia all in as unique and fun civs. Then an expansion comes out where Laos and Burma are announced. Someone goes on to the forum to say, "They should include Germany. Germany's really cool." And someone else says, "They've already got England and France. Germany's just more of the same. Europe is already covered." :crazyeye:

While I agree that Khmer and Siam are distinct enough to warrant the inclusion of both, I think unfortunately the devs don't agree with you (at least so far). Civ has always been a Eurocentric game, for better or worse - so to them, getting one SE Asian civ is enough. It is enough to represent the "other". Europe's familiar. It's easy for the audience of the games (living mainly in North America and Western Europe) to see the differences between Germany and France. It's not so easy for them to see the difference between Khmer and Siam, and the devs account for this in their decision. Unfortunate? Yes. But that's how it is. Still, with BNW, I'm hoping that one other SE Asian civ gets in - in terms of "diversity", either Indonesia or Vietnam is viewed distinct enough from Siam to a mild extent (in public perception, maybe) that either might get in - Indonesia because it's all Muslim these days (thus seen differently to the common man than the other SE Asian states (well, except Malaysia, maybe)), and Vietnam because of the association with the Vietnam War and the fact that it's the only Sinicized SE Asian state (rather than an Indianized one)

The unfortunate truth on how the rest of the world views SE Asia

Personally, I would love to see additional non-European civs just add diversity. Central Asian civs are almost never represented but they would be an incredible addition to the new current civ game given their placement on the silk road and their unique systems of trade.

But seriously, almost every other continent besides Europe needs more civs at the moment.

Hun, India, Mongol, Persia fill central Asia good enough no more central asian civs plz

In the debate over which civs may be included in BNW, its seems as if this community's biggest concern is geographic location, for example 3 european, 2 african or people hoping for inuit and aboriginee because those areas are not expressed in the game.
However, since true-start maps are not a part of the game they are selling us, but only included in user-made mods, wouldn't this mean geography is irrelevant to the devs? The only thing that should concern them is if including a civ is going to sell more copies, meaning it should be something interesting, which is why they added civs such as the Huns, for name recognition not for their legitimacy as a civ. In some cases, such as The Scramble for Africa scenario, it should be assumed that african civs should be included. But it seems that people saying "there are too many civs from x continent/not enough civs from y continent" or "this civ needs to be included to fill out this area of the map" are not making legitimate claims, no?

I love to play true-start maps but you have to look at what's actually included in the game.

P.S. this is NOT in support of the inclusion of Italy... they better not do it

Did you break into my mind and stole the words?

I totally agree.
Location is completely irrelevant.
Only the greatness / uniqueness / attractiveness of a civilization should matter.

The world has developed in great centers of civilization beside poor and uncivilized lands. So I think it is not fair to favor a not so important civilization over and really influential one, only because the latter's land area is already represented in the game.

Hun, India, Mongol, Persia fill central Asia good enough no more central asian civs plz

Actually, the Huns never was in central Asia. They were in present-day Ukraine or Hungary. Their empire expanded from Germany in the west to western Kazakhstan in the east and from Estonia in the north to Caucasus in the south

I mean there are people right here in these forums saying Siam rules out the Khmer. I agree the developers could stand to be less Eurocentric, but it really floors me to see people here thinking Siam and the Khmer are basically the same.

People saying Siam rules out the Khmer doesn't' mean those same people imply that Siam and Khmer are basically the same. ;) Most of the time, as said, such people (including myself) are just saying that Siam and the Khmer are basically the same in the public perception. There's a very subtle but significant difference there - we usually just don't put in the "in the public perception part" even though we mean it.

All that aside - frankly, the Khmer have very, very little chance of getting in, in my opinion. I would even want to say they have almost no chance of getting in, but that might be too overconfident a prediction.

Indeed, I am curious as to how a Civ game made by a non-Western company would play out. Would be pretty interesting.

Let us see a game similar to Civilization made by the Japanese. After all, behind the United States, Japan is the country that produces the most video games.

Why do so many people swagger onto this thread with the attitude of "Of course people are idiots for wanting new/unusual/non-classical/non-Euro civs"?

You are perfectly entitled to enjoy those civs more - my friend Bran LOVES the classical and Euro civs - but I enjoy civs like Polynesia and Siam, and would love some more African civs and more obscure civs. My enjoyment of the game is different than yours, but no more or less correct. Correctness has nothing to do with it. Civ is for entertainment and some players like variety in civs.

Further, the Euro/classical civs reflect a "history written by the victors"/imperialistic view of the world. Many civs have been great within their own particular contexts but were wiped out and their majestic stories re-written as pathetic fables by dismissive imperialistic powers whose only interest was quashing dissent and ethnic minority self-identification.

I'm a "white" North American, but I want a chance to walk in the footsteps of many different civilization who were not globally pre-eminent (indeed - very few civs can even make that claim).

People saying Siam rules out the Khmer doesn't' mean those same people imply that Siam and Khmer are basically the same. ;) Most of the time, as said, such people (including myself) are just saying that Siam and the Khmer are basically the same in the public perception. There's a very subtle but significant difference there - we usually just don't put in the "in the public perception part" even though we mean it.

All that aside - frankly, the Khmer have very, very little chance of getting in, in my opinion. I would even want to say they have almost no chance of getting in, but that might be too overconfident a prediction.

Indeed, I am curious as to how a Civ game made by a non-Western company would play out. Would be pretty interesting.

Siam doesn't equal Vietnam nor Khmer
Songhai doesn't equal Kongo
Mongols doesn't equal Timurid
Brazil doesn't equal Argentina
etc etc

I dont believe they are the same things at all nor should they preclude them from consideration. I just think that they have many basic similarities. Some of the other choices offer a tad more variation and diversity design wise. I'm all for the above to be added long term and I'd also be happy for the HRE, Hungary and Italy (under Venice) to be added long term. I just think that right at the moment there are a few choices that offer more diversity to the current choices - Moors, a Western Nth American Native, Indonesia/Majapahit seem to just edge them for mine. Portugal and Australia are more marginal but I'd select them for reasons I've already posted.

In a perfect world we would get 20 new choices but we are getting 9 and that means in the end we are going to miss out on some choices we would love to have.

Why do so many people swagger onto this thread with the attitude of "Of course people are idiots for wanting new/unusual/non-classical/non-Euro civs"?

You are perfectly entitled to enjoy those civs more - my friend Bran LOVES the classical and Euro civs - but I enjoy civs like Polynesia and Siam, and would love some more African civs and more obscure civs. My enjoyment of the game is different than yours, but no more or less correct. Correctness has nothing to do with it. Civ is for entertainment and some players like variety in civs.

Further, the Euro/classical civs reflect a "history written by the victors"/imperialistic view of the world. Many civs have been great within their own particular contexts but were wiped out and their majestic stories re-written as pathetic fables by dismissive imperialistic powers whose only interest was quashing dissent and ethnic minority self-identification.

I'm a "white" North American, but I want a chance to walk in the footsteps of many different civilization who were not globally pre-eminent (indeed - very few civs can even make that claim).

While I appreciate your point, I'd say there are far more "anti-European" voices in this community than "anti-diversity" voices.

While I appreciate your point, I'd say there are far more "anti-European" voices in this community than "anti-diversity" voices.

I think that depends somewhat on if your CIV is in or not. People from England or France etc are more likely to want more diversity, people from Hungary or Portugal are more likely to want their area represented.

In general I think the other factor that pushes diversity is that it offers different ways of playing the game. I have little interest in Austrian history but it was interesting trying to use the abilities on city states and made for a new way to play the game. Most of the non Euro choices presumably will also offer different ways to play and that is a major part of the appeal.

I dont know if anyone has ever played against the Huns on the great plains map but jeepers I am glad they didn't naturally come from that environment because they are scary scary guys in that environment and almost unbeatable when there are lots of horses and sheep lying around - on small island formations not so scary :D. Thats the beauty of the game - you can play a lot of different ways against a lot of different opponents. Most people like the idea of new civs that add new variants to the game.

I understand what you are saying, I am a white guy from California and my favorite civs to play are Songhai, Japan, Russia, Rome, and Egypt... I want more civs in the game, more and more and more diversity is better! My issue was with people who will say "since brazil is now in the game, no more south america civs are possible/deserving" because they anticipate another civ from another continent. It is that feeling that drives me crazy; in that sense geography should not be considered! Civs that are unique and wonderful should be added regardless of if they end up being closer to each other than others.

I guess while we're addressing the geography argument, I'll say that I really don't get the support for Australia's inclusion (and Canada, for that matter.) Australia's only purpose seems to be to fill in the map. Australia does not seem to have that unique 'Civ' quality about it, so why does it garner so much support?

Im pretty certain that if the game was made by European (non-British) company, there would probably be few more Civs from Asia, Africa and/or South-America. On the other hand Iroquois and Zulus probably would not be in the game.

Top Bottom