City States capped on custom game?

hellagrant

Chieftain
When starting a custom game, I select 41 city states(the maximum). Map is huge, and usually something like Communitas or Perfect World map(so generated maps).

The total amount of city states is never close to 41, it is usually around 20.

Is it because I set the number of civilization to the max? I believe it is 22, or something like that.

edit: I do have several mods running, like Civ 4 diplomacy, bunch of mods from the pick n mix series, etc.

what happens is all civs will found their cities on t0 and some cs will be within 4 tiles of those civs, the ai doesnt know to move the cs settler so he just stands there until captured, at least ive seen it happen a few times with max cs and civs but it might be something else

Settlers get captured if there is not enough space to plant the cities, i've seen some non settled people wandering the map at times of overcrowded games. .

I also play with maxed CS numbers, but with a more middle range world size and civ count. I am wondering though, is it really worth it? The CS inevitably stay passive I find don't influence global politics nearly enough. What do you guys thinks makes for a more interesting game?:

41 CS, 8 civs standard map
41 civs, 8 CS, standard map

Bear in mind that one of the reasons I have stopped playing huge maps with all civs and CS is because every turn then takes far too long to load by the industrial age.

i find on huge maps with 18 civs and 18 cs makes for a good game, theres enough room for everyone to expand as well as allowing cs to develop, but theres not too much space where everyone gets 5+ cities, well not 5+ good cities anyways

I had that happen to me recently on a simple Large archipelago map. I wound up with the 10 civs, but only 8 CSs instead of the normal 20. The other 12 must not have survived the initial city founding.

If there's no place decent enough for all the city states chosen, it will kill them while placing civs.
That includes the standard minimum displacement.
Now if you mod min city placement up from 3 to 5, then it would place the city state settler which would never move nor found a city.

This can be seen in much lower number on the ring map (from explorers); If you play on standard size map you will sometimes find 3 and at other times 4 city states instead of the 5 you saw on the advanced setup screen.

Top Bottom