What's the best militaristic city gift you've received?

Admittedly, I don't focus on militaristic city states...but near the end of the game, I was incredibly bored as England, so I decided to go on a bit of a conquering spree. Getting XCOM squads is utterly fantastic.

Janissarys into Caroleans is the only interesting thing i've had :(

I befriend militaristic city state. They give me 2 siege towers in two turns. Needless to say that flatland capital of Brazil fell in short order.

What!? :eek: How did you get 2 units from a friendly militaristic CS in 2 turns? Explain. :confused:

Militaristic CS' offer units every 10-20 turns or so on standard speed. So this is a big discrepency here.

I remembered reading somewhere in this forum that CS doesn't give you ancient/classical era UU. Must be not true then.

It will be interesting if we can get Pathfinder from CS. Has anyone ever got this? Can you pick the ancient ruins?

AFAIK, you just can't get Scout/Warrior UU's. I know I've seen a CS offering Chariot Archers as well.
Though, I do play with mods, it's possible one of them had that side effect somewhere.

I didnt receive any but i saw greece got something awesome in the ancient/classical era

Greek Impi.
GREEK IMPI.
AND A LOT OF THEM!
Couple of turns later Greece has taken down 2 capitals including mine.

Keshiks in a game where i had Mt Kilimanjaro in my borders. It was carnage. These days if i find a miltaristic CS that has a great UU i make allying it a top priority.

In the industrial era, I planted a distant colony for some coal and aluminum; then was gifted a garden-variety cavalry. No biggie, not a UU... but when it popped a nearby leftover hut, it was upgraded (by "ancient weaponry") to a landship. That thing was the industrial-era equivalent of a GDR.

Separately, and slightly OT, the best unit gift I ever got was six foreign legion from the freedom ideology, while the rest of the world (including me!) was still using muskets. A truly monstrous, and instantaneous, military enhancement.

What!? :eek: How did you get 2 units from a friendly militaristic CS in 2 turns? Explain. :confused:

Militaristic CS' offer units every 10-20 turns or so on standard speed. So this is a big discrepency here.

OK, this was probably the case, BUT IT MAYBE WAS quick speed game. IIRC

They gave me very early game one siege tower. I finished early CS quest, and they gave me early siege tower.

Second siege tower gift became just one turn before I decided to dow Brazil. Second siege tower received around turn 65 or so.

Okay, you definitely have an argument there. I think I'd still take the Minutemen first and take out a neighbor with a Renaissance war to get them promoted, though. Minutemen start with rough terrain bonus and Ally gifts start with a free promotion so you're just a few fights away from Medic 2. The Minuteman and the Carolean are the two melee UU's that have traits that make them better at melee's job, and putting them together just makes things silly.

Well, no actually.

Minuteman gains MOVEMENT BONUS in harsh terrain. NOT COMBAT BONUS. But, they are still very good units of course, and they get better when upgraded into great war infantry and infantry.

Aztec jaguar -> rifleman is still better unit though, but it takes more costly unit upgrades of course.

Aztec jaguars have +50% jungle and forest combat bonus, also normal movement in jungle and forest, also heals back immediately some health after kills.

Possibly jaguars have also heroic epic bonus so they can be excellent units when upgraded into late game units.

Caroleans get march promotion free so I simply thought that they might have good synergy, with medicII.

You can literally spam march, medicII caroleans. MedicII gives healing bonus to unit itself also in enemy land, but medic line also gives faster healing for adjacent units.

MedicII land unit also can heal ships faster, if you put medicII into coastal tile and put ships near the beach, adjacent to medicII. Medic line also heals air forces faster, when medic land units is inside city.

I once got Longbows from a citystate, in a game using the No Obsolete Units mod. Felt good being the only one with two hex bazookas in the endgame.

I had a game on highlands (I was maya) where I kept getting Hwach'a units, 26 ranged is amazing for medieval era, as long as protected (only 11 defense), really nice units to keep in cities or on strategic spots.

I only discovered recently you can mouse over the militaristic word to see what special unit they will gift at ally after specific tech, and they will give that unit for a while (tech based I think)

Top Bottom