What's the best militaristic city gift you've received?

Laurwin

Prince
I started first game ever as Sweden. King continents. I start in bad place tundra, I picked tradition though because capital was good enough location.

I got second religion together with stonehenge.

I scout and see brazil like 10 tiles away weak capital. I build 4 archers 2 spearmen, and warrior. This is sub 60 turns btw, normal speed, normal continents, king difficulty.

I befriend militaristic city state. They give me 2 siege towers in two turns. Needless to say that flatland capital of Brazil fell in short order.

Swedish army then attacked the sprawling Chinese empire (they had like warriors). Chinese capital fell in short order, and their junk cities were burned. I had about 7 archers, 3 spears, 2 swordsmen.

Next target of Swedish army was Incan empire. Inca has Great Wall in capital. I capture a nice second city in the jungle river, which I kept. I lose couple regular units though, to the Inca troops in the jungle fighting.

Inca capital falls and they are wiped out also, I lose one siege tower though, because of Great Wall (I suicided it, in order to dmg capital instead of just taking hits and dying)

Teching to machinery is ongoing. Only un-scathed civ besides myself, on this continent, is Polynesia, but I doubt they're that strong, especially if I take them on, with crossbows.

THANK YOU BUDAPEST, you are now my new best friend militaristic city state in this game. Budapestian citizens will be richly rewarded by the Lion of the North, with loot and prizes from vanguished enemies abroad. :king:

As Egypt, it was nice recieving Battering Rams from Sidon. Did a pretty good Atilla impression that game.

I know its a Patronage gift as opposed to a Militaristic gift but getting a Khan while playing a Poland game I intended to win by Domination was godly.

once upon a time I liberated two CS's in war against russia in the modern age. I got gifted about 4 panzers before I had won the game.

it sure is nice to get free panzers in the final domination push! especialy when oil is not a problem.

Back in Vanilla when I had some great wars playing to win via Domination on 6 player std maps at the Immortal level, I was gifted GDR's a few times.

As Egypt, it was nice recieving Battering Rams from Sidon. Did a pretty good Atilla impression that game.

I remembered reading somewhere in this forum that CS doesn't give you ancient/classical era UU. Must be not true then.

It will be interesting if we can get Pathfinder from CS. Has anyone ever got this? Can you pick the ancient ruins?

longbows were the best gift I got once... they helped me hold off the warmongering Aztecs really easily with good terrain.

Well, my current game has to be a contender....(Denmark, Small Continents, Epic, Immortal if anyone's interested) I am locked in a 3-way mid-game permawar with Cathy and Hiawatha, and Cathy and I each have Militaristic CS allies. Sofia gave me a series of SOTLs (nice w/ denmark's UA), and I just got a keshik from Valetta. What made it even more fun is that Cathy got CKNs. All these ingredients have made this a really fun and dynamic war ;)
Gotta love them militaristic cs.....:king::king::king:

Not the best units I have received but in my current game, I am Friends with two Militaristic CS and every 8 turns I'm getting a unit. One is constantly giving me Impis while the other Pikeman. I don't know what to do with those (I'm doing wonders/cultural) but at least they're keeping my military rating decent.

I remembered reading somewhere in this forum that CS doesn't give you ancient/classical era UU. Must be not true then.

It will be interesting if we can get Pathfinder from CS. Has anyone ever got this? Can you pick the ancient ruins?

You can definitely get Classical but I'm pretty sure you can't get Ancient Era UU's.

Gifted Minutemen promoted into Caroleans will trash pretty much everything on the map.

Not the best units I have received but in my current game, I am Friends with two Militaristic CS and every 8 turns I'm getting a unit. One is constantly giving me Impis while the other Pikeman. I don't know what to do with those (I'm doing wonders/cultural) but at least they're keeping my military rating decent.

I remember in one game as Germany, I actually got a perfect unit, in perfect timing, in perfect location, as gift from militaristic city state.

I was in dangerous early defensive war vs carthage. (those elephants man! only Siam's big stampies are worse)

Carthage was almost breaching my defensive lines (held in german captured assyrian capital)

But city state gifted me a catapult, which blocked zoc from enemy melee unit, and I was able to kill the other dangerous enemy melee unit with focus fire in that one turn. Thus, the war turned slowly into my favor, because I was able to push off Carthage from my spoils of war, from Assyrian war.

Range promoted comp bows and pikemen finally finished ended the Germanic-Punic war.

You can definitely get Classical but I'm pretty sure you can't get Ancient Era UU's.

Gifted Minutemen promoted into Caroleans will trash pretty much everything on the map.

ouch, minutemen promoted caroleans, what can you say otherwise? Good thing they are so rare, because even caroleans on their own can be pretty good units.

I would slightly prefer brandenburg gate caroleans, over similarly minutemen upgraded rifles.

Minutemen gain more value in forest battles of course. Those things just run rings around anything, (anything else except jaguar upgraded rifles)

March + medicII + drillI/shockI promotion from the start, is quite good. Not so easy to kill even with ranged?

It's not just forests. The bonus for minutemen is "ignore terrain costs"; it applies on hills, too. The only thing that slows down a Minuteman is the Great Wall.

What's the value in Brandenburg Caroleans, anyways? The promotion that you're trying to get to with melee units is March, which the Caroleans start with.

I had one game as Rome where I never had to build another unit after my legions + ballistae killed the backstabbing French (with my gifted Siege Tower). 8 of the 10 City-states on my continent were Militaristic...

Moderator Action: This is not really an S&T topic, so thread moved to General Discussions.

It's not just forests. The bonus for minutemen is "ignore terrain costs"; it applies on hills, too. The only thing that slows down a Minuteman is the Great Wall.

What's the value in Brandenburg Caroleans, anyways? The promotion that you're trying to get to with melee units is March, which the Caroleans start with.

They could walk out the door en-masse with Drill, Medic 1 & 2, and March. Now they heal 15 hp/turn alone or 20/turn in pairs... and 30/turn in newly conquered lands :)

Okay, you definitely have an argument there. I think I'd still take the Minutemen first and take out a neighbor with a Renaissance war to get them promoted, though. Minutemen start with rough terrain bonus and Ally gifts start with a free promotion so you're just a few fights away from Medic 2. The Minuteman and the Carolean are the two melee UU's that have traits that make them better at melee's job, and putting them together just makes things silly.

Top Bottom