Support for Triple Buffering?

seregost

Chieftain
Hi,

Does anyone know if Civ 4 has a way to enable support for triple buffering? I like using vsync in games to eliminate tearing, but running my monitor at 100hz with vsync on causes civ to jump rapidly between 33-50fps during the mid game (without vsync it appears much smoother because there are no rapid changes in framerate). Triple buffering smooths this artifact, but as far as I know it requires game-specific support to enable in DirectX apps.

I've looked through the configuration files, but can't seem to find anyplace to enable this.

Thanks!

I though this would work too, but enabling triple buffering in the 81.85 forceware driver doesn't seem to work for civ 4. From what I've subsequently read, this flag doesn't seem to "force" triple buffering if the application doesn't support it (at least in DX).

I have a 7800 GTX, turning on triple buffering in 81.85 isn't doing a thing for me either. Just thought you'd want to know it's not just you.

One other thing -- I'm not getting those wild jumps with vsync enabled...because at any given zoom level, as I pan around, the framerate isn't affected at all (fillrate and triangle count are well below limits of the card).

Er, I take that back. It is happening to me too.

(Am I seriously considering upgrading to SLI for ... a Civ game?!? :confused: :lol: )

Not gonna help. I have 7800 GTX sli and I still get 15 fps sometimes, especially when zoomed out. For the most part though, it's either 30 or 60 with the vsync. 1920x1200 with everything cranked up. This game gives Half-Life 2: Lost Coast a run for its money.

Top Bottom