How to share?

Hanny

Prince
Hi all.

Ive put together a LOTR mod for FF2, couple of hundred models complete with sounds for most of them, and custom LOTR themed music for all the factions etc, and a map of course of Middle Earth for ita ll to run around in, little over 420meg when packed.

So how do i share what ive got?, i can see how to pack the art folder and pk zip the rest, but how do i get filefront, or anyone else for that matter, to host it all?, when i try to upload it looks for a single file to upload and ive got a bunch of the blighters!, and or a 100meg limit for a file, so do i need to pack it all up in an installer?, if so how do i do that?.

Any help would be great as i would like to think the mod has something of intrest to others, and stuff not shared is stuff lost......

I know next to nothing about this, but would it be possible to zip all the files together? Preferably zipped in all appropriate folders of course. That should at least give you one file.

Use WinRar to compress it into a RAR format archive, and specify the max size per filepart to be under what the upload limit is for the website you are trying to host on (Rapidshare allows 200 MB and is free, if not fast, so unless your 100 MB limit location is a pretty fast connection to download from, consider moving so there are fewer parts total).

Once you have it hosted somewhere, post links on the forums and people will flock to it appropriately :)

Thanks all.

Will upload Tues morning on Filefront in a number of packs, after ive downlaoded them and they look ok, ill open a thread in the Scn section with a link.

Q. Is it best to upload only the files changed ( Art/xml/sounds) or all of the assets folder contents regardless?, so people can more easily move between mods?. It seems to me a bigger download would then allow people to move between mods easier.

Just the changed files means you should probably design an installer program that copies the base files for them, then you can avoid a LOT of user-error related complaints ;) Full assets is nice if you want to make it a stand-alone download (ie - post it outside of the FfH section of CFC) But be sure to give credit so that people who like the mod and want more of the same know where to go.

This is just the kind of thing I was looking for in FFH2!

I had just asked for just this kind of thing!

If we can't get the huge 420mb load, is there a way to post just the map of Middle Earth?

:D

Just the changed files means you should probably design an installer program that copies the base files for them, then you can avoid a LOT of user-error related complaints ;) Full assets is nice if you want to make it a stand-alone download (ie - post it outside of the FfH section of CFC) But be sure to give credit so that people who like the mod and want more of the same know where to go.

Me again, and thanks for your help.

How much time would an installer save me?, at prest filefront gives 9 hours for a full assets folder, (680 meg) 5 hours for the sound folder (333 meg)and art folders 2 hours for 126 megs, since im going to port it all onto .40 how much time would this save me on uploading if i do it with an installer?, does its compresion make it smaller and hence quicker?. Will i save anything time wise by putting it into an installer or will 3 seperate (art/sounds/xml) bea fastewr way to go?

I have a poor, in terms of speed, connection and dont really have the time to spend hours and hours to upload, and get a server reset!.

Caeser, ive linked you to the maps for LOTR in a thread on the scn forum. Any problems get back to me and ill see if i can help you out.

The installer will compress, but I don't think any more than a standard RAR would manage. You should also look into packing up all your art and sounds into an FPK to help reduce size even more.

It may work out to have seperate uploads for your side of things to upload properly if you don't have a reliable connection. Not sure if I have ever heard of an Upload management program which can support resume functions...

Not sure if I have ever heard of an Upload management program which can support resume functions...

I have, it's called FTP ;)
(well, guess it's more of a protocol...)

A couple places I found that allow FTP uploading. Don't know if they allow you to resume, nor have I ever used them for anything.

Easy share (100 MB/file limit)
Badongo (no limit I think?)

An alternative if possible would be to have a friend with faster connection run an FTP server, upload to them and then they upload to some site. Or burn it to a CD/DVD to give such a friend, if any.

Badongo came out awith a 17kbps upload time, which predicts 11 hours rather than Filefronts 9, neither seem atractive to;) me so far.

Found a way to further increase upload time.

Every unit at present has its own folder, ( with some none needed animation and copy1s of files in vanila FFH, which if pruned makesa modest saveing) so each civ shares many common dds files and duplicates them in many seperate folders, but you can combine many of these into a single folder and call up from that combined civ folder, which nif you want, and it draws all the dds files it needs from the civ factions pool that now sits in the folder, this means quite a large saveing on size as all duplication is avoided.

Also, you shouldn't need to include the Resource folder, just Assets. Unless you actually retargeted the access and modified some of the files in it. Though by not re-targetting you are requiring that people have FfH installed for your mod to work.

Once you get the mod up, stick it in your signiture so it shows up at the bottom of all your posts. Being a big Lotr fan, I'm kind of curious to see it.

Once you get the mod up, stick it in your signiture so it shows up at the bottom of all your posts. Being a big Lotr fan, I'm kind of curious to see it.

Will do, for now its in the sn forum while its at an early stage.

Top Bottom