Everything about Tokugawa

scy12

Deity
I don't have any experience with him but i would like to use him in the future. So unfortunately i can not offer anything to the table but i ask from you which are the better and most interesting ways to use him.

Tokugawa has one of the best unique buildings in civ4.Shale plant gives huge boost to productivity in late game.

Priorities:
1.) gunpowder tech: even though the three free promos don't mesh well, it's still three free promos, and practically the prereqs for all other promotions
2.)civil service/machinery: barring praets, I don't think there's a single unit in the game that can run the field in their era as well as samarai. If you can pull it off, an oracle sling for machinery is nice, and the oracle's priest may be able to bulb most of CS.
3.) Unfortunately, lots and lots of cottage cities. Since losing the organized trait, Tokugawa is perhaps the best warmongerer, but is practically helpless in acquiring the techs/infrastructure necessary to utilize this gift.
3.a) To keep ahead technologically, don't trade techs. Rather, start a war, raze a few cities, flex your muscles, and demand techs for peace. Along with Julius, playing as Tokugawa means that you should feel that other civs PAY to have a state of peace with you.
4.) kind of an afterthought: get ecology. Shale plants clearly answer the question about what power source to use for factories, and the answer is to have lots of polluting buildings, 1 from forge, 1 from factories, 2 from shale plants, coastal cities have cheap drydocks for another, and the optional 1 from airports (though, as aforementioned, in addition to mobility he could really use the trade route) that's a gain of 6 health from recycling centers.

3.a) To keep ahead technologically, don't trade techs. Rather, start a war, raze a few cities, flex your muscles, and demand techs for peace. Along with Julius, playing as Tokugawa means that you should feel that other civs PAY to have a state of peace with you.
I started a game on prince ( i should move up a level now). By trading i archieved to always have an ally (Ramses) in war and all wars were all easy.

When i traded gunpowder to Ramses to help me against Saladin and earlier the Inca(which he did) i would never expect him to trade that tech to our mutual enemies after (short) peace.

Bah! Tokugawa needs no allies! I suggest running a SE for faster research, and frequently warring with anyone you can beat (though you should try to kill the most powerful civ at the first opportunity). Beeline first to Machinery/Civil Service to get Samurai and war your little heart out. They're awesome units. While you're doing that, you should beeline to Chemistry/Rifling. Being Aggr/Pro, your gunpowder armies should be unstoppable (they were for me).

Tokugawa is really good for a warmonger playstyle. Samurai are really powerful and durable, and aggressive/protective gives you very versatile musketmen and infantry as well.

Drafting is great with Tokugawa. Get nationalism soon after civil service, and he can draft samurai. Drafting gunpowder infantry is also good because Tokugawa is aggressive and protective. Every drafted unit is fairly powerful with combat 1, drill 1, and city garrison 1 for free. A barracks and theocracy gets one more promotion for a drafted unit.

Very simply strategy with Tok....just go and conquer people. I actually managed with My no 1 military city, (Heroic Epic / West Point / Pentagon) no special civics, but masses of Great Generals, to get Infantry that started fresh out of barracks with Commando (if I so wished).....with city garrison I (free), Drill I (free), that's 7 promotions out of training school :)

Which is quite ridiculous, if good fun for a while (when you've got whole armies than can just march down an enemies' highways as if they were there own (and soon will be ;) ) it just encorages you to go a conquering.

Does the Samurai first strikes get carried away into the new units it updates to , because i am thinking updating some axemen first to samurai and then to Grenaders.

<unlurk>

A CRIII Samural utilizing the first strikes to take no damage against fortified units in a city on hills is a beautifull thing :D

Might not work every single time but when it does it sure speeds the conquest along.
<lurk>

Does the Samurai first strikes get carried away into the new units it updates to , because i am thinking updating some axemen first to samurai and then to Grenaders.

Unfortunately, No.

I don't know why people dislike having Tokugawa next to them so much. If you want to win your first deity game, consider befriending him through lopsided trades, mutual military struggles and years of peace, and religion. He's often behind in techs, which means he'll be your only trading partner in techs for most of the game.

Probably because he is very hard to please , isolated and has a very strong unit selection. So he is always ready to attack at any sign of weakness and he can't be destroyed easily. How easy is to befriend him ?

You normally need the same civics, religion, no trading with anyone he dislikes ( which is most of the rest of the world ), then give him a few gifts, and then if he asks for anything at all, you'd better give it up that very second.

Leaders like that really aren't worth your effort (the same lvl of your dedication to almost anyone else, would have them at friendly status). He's best left to his perverse ways himself, while keeping an eye on his army, and soon enough he'll be so far behind in tech as not to pose a threat. Then he's actually a good choice to part conquer, vassalise, then carefully give him military techs to bring him up to date. Leave him enough land, and he'll then be a usefull wardog, if kept on a short leesh.

I like toku for the UU's first strike bonus, fight and take cities without losing much. Your army just gets bigger and you do not need to upgrade his UU for a long time.

Top Bottom