How does Final Frontier compare to Galactic Civilizations 2?

stwils

Emperor
Have any of you played Galactic Civilizations 2? If so, how does it compare to the scenario Final Frontier? More fun? Harder? Graphics? Keeps you coming back to play?

stwils

there's really no comparison....if you want to play civ in space, get GalCiv2.....final frontier is just a mini-game

Have any of you played Galactic Civilizations 2? If so, how does it compare to the scenario Final Frontier? More fun? Harder? Graphics? Keeps you coming back to play?

stwils

Final fontier is kind of lame i don't like the units that it has. (Only 5 or so miltary units[research just gets them more powerful). In gal civ2 you can make your own ships in civ4 you can not. (In final frontier you have about 3-6 planets and you can build in all of them but you have to one at a time which is a very long time) Anyways i like gal civ 2 a tad more but because civ4 bts can be moded and be changed i'll play it alot more!

Do you all mean Galactic Civ2 is a better space game adventure than Final Frontier? Is it easier to learn?

stwils

I've been playing FF more then regular BtS, so I've been enjoying it. FF plays very much like Civ 4 (obviously), about the only thing that's really different is how you improve your planets. GC2 is a different game, it has the ship designer, customizable aliens, a totally different economy, etc. It is definitely much bigger and longer than FF, and I'd say GC2 is overall better. It's worth trying out if you like sci-fi and games like civ.

FF is fun, but GalCiv 2 is so utterly far above it that there is no real comparison.

There is no comparison, GC2 is not as fun as civ4 but it's a lot better than FF.
GC2 was developed for 3 years by an entire team of developers, FF has been created by a single Firaxis developer for only a year, so you can imagine how much better is GC2.

One more vote for GalCiv2 -- FF is a fun Civ diversion GalCiv2 is in depth space civilization -- fun too.

Oh hey this post makes me a King! woot

It's not even a contest: GalCiv2 is an actual full blown game, not just a mod someone put together in a couple months.

GalCiv2 is by far the more complex and detailed of the two.

This can be good or bad, depending.

Personally, I find Final Frontier more enjoyable generally, though I'd like to see depth added to it (ie, the missing Civ IV features added back in).

I've been a bit disappointed with how much FF feels like galciv. Like galciv 2 light. It could almost have been a demo version of galciv, with many of its features present, but trimmed down. I know there's only so many ways of doing civ in space, but I feel that neither hit the mark.

As other people said, galciv is a full game though, so the sheer amount of content blows FF away already. All the more reason for FF to have been something different.

Heck, even the espionage system for the epic game made me think of galciv when I first read about it. It seems like Firaxis has been shopping from another game's content for BtS.

I really like FF - it lacks some more wonders, but I really appreciate how it was made. I think it's much more like MOO2 (which is and as it seems always will be the state of the art) than GC2. GC2 is a wonderful game, but it's interface is really a pain. Also the "build ship" option was not so great. The research tree is funny, but not "civ-ish". At least all in my opinion ;)

I hope the MOO2-Mod for FF will be a revival of MOO2 with CIV4-Rules, that's something to look forward too.

I could'nt really take FF seriously ,to be honest after playing GalCiv2. I gave it a couple games just for passing some time but I'd have to throw in GalCiv2 and throw down that way from this point on. It was more fun to me to play it from the Civ4 perspective/UI/Tech tree, but in the end I was missing quite a few things and like someone else said already , like I had just stumbled across a DEMO.

Gal Civ is in the same vein as Civ, but quite a bit different in flavor, theme, rules. And for one, you actually design ships and research specific ship technologies in Gal Civ. For two, in Gal Civ fleet combat is simultaneous, not one on one battles.

They're both good games for what they are. Mr. Schafer did a good job of taking Civ to a space/Alpha Centauri theme and not making it a copycat of Gal Civ.

Like others have said, there's no comparison, nor is there meant tobe. FF is a fun little minigame, GC2 is a deep space strategy game largely influenced by Civ and Master of Orion.

That said there's one thing FF and Civ for that matter do better than GC2, and that is inviolable borders. GC2 has culture borders much like Civ IV except that aliens can trespass at will and setup colonies deep inside your territory. Annoying as hell, I tell you.

Glad to see the general response here as I do have a soft spot for GC2! :D

GC2 is fairly deep and involving - I don't find it particularly challenging unless I make a custom race (DA expansion) that has no pop growth, econ or tech boni.... but FF is not comparable.

Top Bottom