Preview: OWNES I: The National Game

Haha, it's not so bad! Even sharing with nk Chicago is still a larger market than Pittsburgh. And both the White Sox and the Cubs consistently ranked among the highest in attendance throughout the era. You'll be fine :p

The current split is 8F/5N. I'm going to give it until Sunday night to accept any additional applications and then I'll NPC the rest. Teams will be listed on Sunday with the main thread going up later this week.

St. Louis, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Louisville remain notably unclaimed.

At the behooving of mv, imma try this NES and see how it turns out, even though I lack most knowledge concerning anything baseball related.

City: St. Louis, Missouri

League: National Association

Owner: Louis "His Majesty" Simmons

Backstory:

Born in St. Louis in the year 1850, Louis was always an ambitious man. He walked earlier and talked earlier than his peers. Feeling cooped in and kept back his home city, Louis moved out east at the age of 19 to follow his dreams, and that he did. Stumbling from industry to industry, through shear perseverance, skill, and luck, lots and lots of luck, he made it big time and time again. By around the turn of the century, Louis had amassed himself a massive fortune, and he was bored beyond his wildest dreams. He had conquered every industry he could get his hands on, climbing his way to the top and making massive amounts of money in the process. Louis, needing a new outlet to conquer and spend his cash on, decided to move back to his old hometown of St. Louis and see what he could do there.

Upon coming home, he was invited to meet up with some of his old friends at a small time baseball game in the city. It was here that it hit him, a foul ball in the third inning. Went straight to his face, bruised him up something good. After getting up, he furiously purchased the entire team with the intent of firing every single one of them for injuring him so grievously. On his way to fire the team, a better thing hit him, not a baseball, but an idea. What if he took the team he just bought, and then used them to conquer baseball itself? A new challenge, a new outlet, something not boring! Louis was stunned by his ability to think and thanked himself publicly. He then went on to fire every single one of the players and rename the team, rebuilding it in the process. Enter, the St. Louis Royals.

Uniforms:

The Americans would like to host a team for the 4th of July in New York City.

The Americans would like to kick off Opening day in New York with the Philadelphia Warriors

Yeah, Owen, I'm assuming that Federal teams can start scheduling now? Or do you want us to wait until you finalize the NA as well?

At the urging of the mod I'll claim a Detroit team. Details to come later today.

City: Detroit, Michigan
Owner: Basil King
Team Name: Detroit Wheelers

The history of the Detroit Wheelers begins in 1885 when the Midwestern League was formed. Detroit hosted two of the leagues founding members, the Detroit Lions located in southwestern Detroit, and the Detroit Tigers located northeast of downtown. The two teams quickly became rivals, but struggled to survive. Detroit, though a rapidly growing industrial center, was simply not big enough to survive. The Detroit Lions, perhaps owning to luck, managed to stay afloat and when the Tigers went bankrupt in 1892, Lions owner and founder Basil King was quick to purchase them and merge the two teams. The 1893 season proved to be a breakthrough season for the Detroit Lions as they were able to pick the best players from both teams to field, and the team became much more profitable due to improved attendance as the fan bases merged.

When the Midwestern League became the National Association in 1894, the Detroit Lions were a part of it. In 1901, Basil King had King Field constructed at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Trumbull Avenue, giving the team a home inside the central regions of the city instead of on the southwestern edge. He also renamed them to the Detroit Wheelers in recognition of his stake in the cities wheel industry.

King Field

Basil King is one of the wealthiest people in the Detroit area. Born into relative prosperity as his parents owned a bicycle shop, King attended West Point where he studied engineering. His wealth comes primarily from the factory he owns that produces wheels and tires for the carriage and auto industry. As the city booms with the growth of these industries, King quietly grows richer in the background. However, in recent years Basil King has turned over much of the operations of his factory to his son, and prefers to spend his time watching and managing his baseball team.

I'm interested, but as mentioned elsewhere I just got back from Hawaii and am operating on fumes (2 hours sleep in as many days). I will read through this and put something up soon; I hope I am not too late.

I'm interested, but as mentioned elsewhere I just got back from Hawaii and am operating on fumes (2 hours sleep in as many days). I will read through this and put something up soon; I hope I am not too late.

I think you're actually just in the nick of time :D

My savior! :love:. I look forward to seeing your application. Meanwhile lineup generation is continuing apace and should be up sometime soon.

I'm going to create the Baltimore Barnstormers Giants, if that is alright. I have some time before I can let myself sleep and I very well may edit in some stuff, if I manage to read all your stuff right now.

EDIT: The Barnstormers Giants were officially accepted into the National Association in 1900, having flipped leagues when the Federal Association dropped four teams.

EDIT 2: Better-prepared Application

City: Baltimore, MD

Owner: John P. Poe, Sr.

Background: Attorney General John P. Poe, Sr. always loved sports, and indeed two of his sons played and then coached college football. He had a special connection with the Baltimore baseball team the Ravens, since that name was derived from a poem written by his famous cousin Edgar Allen Poe. Upon retirement from office, Poe felt it was the perfect opportunity to dive into the world of sports. He purchased the Ravens amidst the turmoil of the league wars and re-branded it as the Barnstormers to help offset previously held notions about the team, as well as to make it more relevant to himself- barnstorming is what got him into office. Poe, though originally complimented by his family's connection to the team's original name, felt that the depressing life of his cousin was no basis to name a team after. Instead, the team would be named after something important to his own, successful, good life. And thus the Baltimore Barnstormers were born. They were soon renamed the Giants after a comment by Joe Pulitzer inspired the name change.

Team Scouting Report: Good pitching, mediocre hitting has been the longstanding status of the Baltimore team, but Poe is attempting to shore up his team's hitting, focusing on purchasing the contracts of young, high-average hitters. Apparently this isnt true.

Colors: Gold and Black, the colors of the city of Baltimore.

Jerseys:

Considering your Eastern location, it might work better if the Barnstormers were one of the cut teams from the Federal Association. Just a suggestion. :)

D'oh! I was trying to think of how to work it out, but I couldn't figure it out. That works! I will edit it in now. Thanks! (Major changes coming to backstory then)

The Official Schedule of the New York Americans for the 1903 Season

Spoiler :

Month of April

04/14-vs Philadelphia Warriors
04/15-vs Philadelphia Warriors
04/16-vs Philadelphia Warriors

04/18-vs Providence Blues
04/20-vs Providence Blues
04/21-vs Providence Blues

04/23-@ Richmond Rebels
04/24-@ Richmond Rebels
04/25-@ Richmond Rebels

04/27-@ Washington Smokes
04/28-@ Washington Smokes
04/29-@ Washington Smokes
04/29-@ Washington Smokes

Month of May

05/01-@Philadelphia
05/02-@Philadelphia
05/02-@Philadelphia

05/04-vs Richmond
05/05-vs Richmond
05/06-vs Richmond
05/06-vs Richmond

05/07-vs The Boston Minutemen
05/08-vs The Boston Minutemen
05/09-vs The Boston Minutemen

05/12-@Providence
05/13-@Providence
05/14-@Providence

05/16-@Boston
05/17-@Boston
05/19-@Boston

05/21-vs The Chicago Railers
05/22-vs The Chicago Railers
05/23-vs The Chicago Railers

05/25-vs The Pittsburgh Kings
05/26-vs The Pittsburgh Kings
05/26-vs The Pittsburgh Kings

05/28-vs Richmond
05/29-vs Richmond
05/30-vs Richmond

The Month of June

06/02-@Pittsburgh
06/03-@Pittsburgh
06/04-@Pittsburgh
06/04-@Pittsburgh

06/06-@Chicago
06/07-@Chicago
06/08-@Chicago

06/10-@Pittsburgh
06/11-@Pittsburgh
06/13-@Pittsburgh

06/15-@Philadelphia
06/16-@Philadelphia
06/17-@Philadelphia
06/18-@Philadelphia

06/20-@Washington
06/21-@Washington
06/22-@Washington
06/23-@Washington

06/25-@Richmond
06/26-@Richmond
06/27-@Richmond

06/29-@Washington
06/30-@Washington
06/30-@Washington

The Month of July

07/02-vs Boston
07/03-vs Boston
07/04-vs Boston
07/04-vs Boston

07/06-vs Providence
07/07-vs Providence
07/07-vs Providence

07/09-vs Chicago
07/10-vs Chicago
07/11-vs Chicago

07/13-@Providence
07/14-@Providence
07/14-@Providence

07/16-@Boston
07/17-@Boston
07/18-@Boston

07/20-@Pittsburgh
07/21-@Pittsburgh
07/22-@Pittsburgh

07/24-@Chicago
07/25-@Chicago
07/26-@Chicago

07/28-vs Pittsburgh
07/29-vs Pittsburgh
07/29-vs Pittsburgh

07/31-vs Washington

The Month of August

08/01-vs Washington
08/01-vs Washington

08/03-vs Philadelphia
08/04-vs Philadelphia
08/05-vs Philadelphia

08/06-vs Richmond
08/07-vs Richmond
08/08-vs Richmond
08/08-vs Richmond

08/10-@Philadelphia
08/11-@Philadelphia
08/12-@Philadelphia

08/14-@Washington
08/15-@Washington
08/15-@Washington

08/17-@Pittsburgh
08/18-@Pittsburgh
08/19-@Pittsburgh
08/19-@Pittsburgh

08/21-@Chicago
08/22-@Chicago
08/23-@Chicago
08/24-@Chicago

08/26-vs Providence
08/27-vs Providence
08/28-vs Providence

08/29-vs Washington
08/29-vs Washington
08/31-vs Washington

September

09/01-vs Providence
09/02-vs Providence
09/03-vs Providence
09/04-vs Providence
09/05-vs Providence

09/07-vs Philadelphia
09/08-vs Philadelphia
09/09-vs Philadelphia
09/09-vs Philadelphia

09/11-vs Chicago
09/12-vs Chicago
09/12-vs Chicago
09/14-vs Chicago

09/16-@Boston
09/17-@Boston
09/18-@Boston
09/19-@Boston

09/21-@Richmond
09/22-@Richmond
09/22-@Richmond

09/24-vs Boston
09/25-vs Boston
09/26-vs Boston

CONFORM TO ME :p

Cool!

Well with all the teams in place I can get going on generating rosters, which I plan to do tonight and tomorrow. You guys can start planning out your schedules, in case you haven't already started. In the interest of this not being a massive masochism-fest, the season will now span 140 games. That's 20 games, 10 home and 10 away, against each team in your league. The season starts on the second Tuesday of April, and concludes the last day of September. You are responsible for scheduling your own games. Any games you fail to play (barring weather concerns) will result in a fine.

If you guys want to create some fun traditions for your league (for example the Cincinnati Reds always open at home with a day game), that's entirely up to you and your league.

Some recommendations for scheduling. Baseball-reference is your friend. I would recommend looking at historical schedules from 1903-1911 for inspiration. From the looks of it teams on the peripheries typically scheduled 2 to 3 lengthy (15-28 games) road trips in which they visited 5-7 cities (sometimes the same city twice, at either end of the road trip), and a couple smaller road trips to more local teams (for example the Washington Senators usually visited the Philadelphia Athletics for one-off road trips due to close proximity). For visualizing, I would recommend either doing a mark-up yourself on excel or google spreadsheets. Doing it like how bbref draws theirs up helps for visualizing the road/away splits, and you can easily use the COUNTIF function to keep track of games scheduled against each team. One last word of advice - remember blue laws (in many of the cities teams are actually not allowed to play baseball on Sundays, although there are ways around this), and remember that doubleheaders (two games played on the same day against the same team, back-to-back) are your friend - doubleheaders were very common.

So good luck, feel free to ask me for advice if you need any help. For you non-regulars, don't be a stranger: #nes is a helpful place, and I'm almost always online over there. Expect to see a main thread up with individual team-roster profiles forthcoming.

Oh, this would probably be useful. List of teams:

Federal Association
Boston Minutemen
New York Americans
Providence Blues
Chicago Railers
Philadelphia Warriors
Washington Smokes
Richmond Rebels
Pittsburgh Kings

National Association
New York Mohawks
Albany Half-Moons
Baltimore Barnstormers
Detroit Wheelers
Chicago Foxes
Omaha Barons
Minneapolis-St.Paul Loons
St. Louis Royals

For ease of use, spoil'd is a map of the teams:
Spoiler :

I can't believe I knocked out that application tonight, I'm going to bed! I'll make a schedule tomorrow if I haven't already had one made for my by other schedules.
I can't believe I am awake, but I'm gonna work until I get too tired to read (which is going to be pretty soon).

Also, I'm a longtime NES'er (relatively) and I still dont know what #nes is...

EDIT: The Barnstormers hope to begin he season with a massive road trip:

PLEASE AGREE TO THIS:

Barnstormers Schedule, 1903: (SO FAR)

April

04/14 @ Mohawks
04/15 @ Mohawks
04/16 @ Mohawks
04/17 @ Mohawks

04/20 @ Half-Moons
04/20 @ Half-Moons
04/21 @ Half-Moons
04/22 @ Half-Moons

04/24 @ Foxes
04/24 @ Foxes
04/25 @ Foxes
04/25 @ Foxes

04/28 @ Wheelers
04/29 @ Wheelers
04/30 @ Wheelers

May

05/01 @ Wheelers

05/04 @ Foxes
05/04 @ Foxes
05/05 @ Foxes
05/06 @ Foxes

05/08 @ Royals
05/08 @ Royals
05/09 @ Royals
05/09 @ Royals

05/12 vs Mohawks
05/13 vs Mohawks
05/14 vs Mohawks
05/15 vs Mohawks

05/18 vs Loons
05/18 vs Loons
05/19 vs Loons
05/20 vs Loons

[Thats it for now]

Ignore this. I am making a more realistic schedule, now that I actually have some sleep to work with (remember, that was made on 2 hour's of sleep.)

I can't believe I knocked out that application tonight, I'm going to bed! I'll make a schedule tomorrow if I haven't already had one made for my by other schedules.

Also, I'm a longtime NES'er (relatively) and I still dont know what #nes is...

Oh, and which teams are NPC's?

#nes is an irc channel for chatting about NESes (and other random crap).

All the major league teams are played by humans. All the minor league ones will be npc's (there'll be more on the minor leagues in the main thread).

Federal Association peeps

1. Join the group, Nuka should have sent you an invitation.

2. It seems, that unless y'all have serious objections, I'm going to do everyone's schedules for them... I'll try to be as fair as possible with regards to travel but as I currently have the schedule set up, there's a) always a day between series for travel and b) no Sunday games. I'm doing this since it'll be a) faster and b) less confusing (except for me). :)

For the Federal Association, me and madviking are making all the schedules, do not fret :)

Crosspost with mv XD

Made a rudimentary logo for the National Association and a group while I'm at it. I find it hilarious that blue is NA and red is FA, when the colors are the exact opposite with the NL and AL. I blame alternative timeline for that. :p

Top Bottom