The NESer Paradox Games Thread

So what times are you guys mainly going to play?

I got a pretty stable and speedy internet so I'm not too worried...

Probably a combination of Friday nights, Saturday days, and Sunday days/nights, in American time zones. No Saturday nights so as not to disturb DnD. I'll add you as an alternate.

Do you understand how the speed of light works in combination with servers?

Admittedly, the speed of light is pretty fast. 3.0 x 10^8 m/s is no slouch unless you're trying to get to Alpha Centauri. I think the limiting factor is the increasing levels of latency times added by international fiberoptic networks rather than the actual speed of light.

It only takes about .06 seconds for light to travel from New York to Israel and back if nothing else gets in the way, not long enough for you to notice any lag at all. So if he really has good internet, it's not that much of an issue. Whether it will sync up with ours remains to be seen.

Okay, the final roster, for now.

Dramatis Personae

1. Thlayli - Italy/Socotra/Brittany
2. Lord Iggy - Norse/Scotland/Baltic
3. Tuxedohamm - Irish/Welsh
4. Ork - Sweden/Brandenburg/Anjou/Khazar
5. TMG - Makuria/Meryas
6. Perfectionist - Greece/Germany
7. cicero - Southern Francia/Upper Burgundy/Great Moravia

Understudies

1. Shadowbound
2. Gem Hound
3. Erez

I'd like to get a few more alternates since I'm sure we'll have our fair share of defaults. Please try and clear a little time on Sunday for us to try this out. If we can't achieve a quorum this weekend we'll try next weekend, and every weekend thereafter until the end of recorded (game) time.

I realize Iggy is still on vacation so we might wait until he returns.

pics or it didn't happen

(also - regional lockouts? really? why exactly??)

Because people are weird. No one is actually allowed to start as Iceland or Ethiopia.

What the difference between american and Israel again? Since for you Sunday is practically Monday on my part I probably couldn't join that one.

Because CK2 performs atrociously when you are trying to play intercontinentally, apparently.

There seem to be two conversations here: regional lockouts ingame (Shadow saying people can't start in Iceland, for example) and the fact that for reasons of timezone and game stability, we should run games independently by real-life location.

I'd be happy to try playing a game with you Daft, to see if the game is playable.

Ahh, I thought the game had built-in regional blocking in multiplayer. That's what I get for skim reading!

So far I've only got the CK2 demo, and I've been struggling to get into it. But I remember the learning curve with EU took a while to get over.

Adventures in Crusader Kings 2: In which Pope Donus II goes off his meds

In what is, technically speaking, my first ever game of CK2 (due to switching different, Irisher character after the regrettable fate of House Domagojevic in Croatia), things have just gotten a little weird.

I am King Mael-Martain Ua Neill Noigiallaich, King of Eire and Alba. I've played this dynasty up from an Irish minor, at one point being reduced to nothing but Kildare due to a Viking adventurer... but at this point I've solidified my rule over Eire, and most of a disunited Alba has fallen into my demesne. Aileach, in the county of Tyrone, is the heart of my realm, and the home of my ancestors for the past seven centuries.

In Europe, things have gone... althistorically. Roughly 200 years ago, a wildly successful Iberian Muslim dynasty secured control of all land south of the Pyrenees. This affected me little, beyond providing my dynasty with a series of very helpful Basque expatriates who have made residence in my court. However, shortly after securing Iberia, the Muslims launched a massive war of conquest, seizing control of the vast majority of France, excepting Piedmont and Brittany. This conquest then proceeded into Germany. Ultimately, a stupendous Umayyad Empire of Hispania stood triumphant, reigning from Morocco to the Elbe, with the city of Ulm becoming a major Muslim center.

The Catholic world reeled for a time, but ultimately the series of stupendous conquerors fell into decadence and internal conflict. Slowly, but surely, Catholicism has fought back. Crusades have been fought in Aquitaine, Toulouse, and most recently, Lotharingia. I was an early, but minor participant in the reconquest of Lotharingia from the hands of Hispania, and their allies in Muslim Burgundy, but I contributed only 3000 forces. Ultimately, I came to occupy the County of Bar, in Upper Lorraine, before attrition and mounting financial problems forced me to return home, with naught but the 'Crusader' trait and a nice facial scar to show for my troubles (also 2500 dead soldiers, but we don't talk about the peasant blood that oils my conquest machine).

However, several months after my withdrawal, the new Pope, Donus II, extracted a surrender from young Emperor Jibril of Hispania and proclaimed victory. Inexplicably, when he looked to his myriad allies to divvy up the spoils... he decided to give all of the gains to me.

I immediately found myself with several dozen notices, and a lovely 27/5 demesne size warning. I am currently coming to grips with my new situation, as an Elector in the Holy Roman Empire, and the King of Ireland Scotland and Lotharingia. I'm currently rounding up as many Irish Catholic Priests as I can, and handing out Lotharingian counties like candy. With luck, we'll get these Sunni Franks converted back to Catholicism pretty quickly. Who knows, I might actually be able to hold onto this bit of my title, or at least use it for leverage in my long-term goal of becoming Emperor of Britannia.

Meanwhile, things just seem to be going downhill for Muslim Europe at this point. A Swedish pagan adventurer named Dan Ragnarsson has conquered Valencia, and started introducing the Castilians to Odin. Hispania looks like it's going to be a damn interesting place in a few generations.

Spoiler Screenies :

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still pretty amazed about it, I just sent a piddly little force in, but I was the person to start a lot of sieges, so I probably gained warscore from occupying territory. At any rate, Mael-Martain has just kicked the bucket at 72, and two generations after him have perished due to misfortune, so rule of Ireland, Alba and Lotharingia passes on to his great grandson, Baetan Ua Neill Noigiallaich, who can still count his age on two hands.

My computer exploded friday. I won't be available for a bit.

Chronicles of the West.​

Spoiler :
Spoiler :

I'll be using the mod A Song of Ice and Fire.

Spoiler :

I am Loren Lannister, King of the Rock and the Western Lands, one of the Seven Kingdoms. For those unfamiliar with ASoIaF, the western lands are rich in gold and silver, so the local lords have always been rich. In the original story, Aegon came with his dragons and conquered the seven kingdoms, subduing its kings. But who knows, things may happen differently now...

Some things about me and my family:
Spoiler :

Political Map:
Spoiler :

The Council of the West:
Spoiler :
The seventh member is the septon, whose name I can not remember.

The Eastern Menace

The wind blew from the east, and did not bring good news. I always knew this day would come. Three Dragons, said the messenger. On their backs, Aegon Targaryen and his sisters, Visenya and Rhaenys.

The sun was setting, touching the distant waters of the west. It was really a beautiful sight, Loren could not get enough of it. Nothing better than spending hours watching the movement of the waves ... If only they did not occupy my time with so much work, I could come here more often. And if Lord Damien is right, my visits to the beach will become increasingly limited.

Loren tried to empty his mind, think only of the beautiful landscape, but his head was focused on more important things... in dragons. He could imagine them flying over the sea, diving into the deep waters and then emerging majestically, their scales glinting in the sun... He wanted to see them, but he also feared such a meeting. In his youth, he heard terrible stories about these beasts. But they seemed distant, faraway things ... But now they were close, maybe too much.

-My lord! My lord! News from the east!

Brutally awakened from his thoughts, Loren ordered the messenger to speak.

-My lord, several lords near Blackwater Bay surrendered to Aegon, with the exception of Lord Edgerton. And worse, Aegon declared war on Harren.

What? He's crazy. Harren not only controls all the Iron Islands, as he also subdued the river lands. Moreover, he owns the largest castle in Westeros, Harrenhal. Aegon was foolish. His cause is lost.

The sun finally set, and the winds got stronger.

-Gather the Council, we have a storm coming.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom