TLKNES: Belle Epoque

From Japan
to Great Britain

The Japanese Empire presents to powerful Great Britain this humbling treaty:
Art 1: Great Britain recognizes Japan as a independent state.
Art 2: Japan engages itself to not interfere with British interests.
Art 3: Japan engages itself to protect all British citizens and affiliates on Japanese ground.
Art 4: Japan and Great Britain engage in trade relations; preferential tariffs are given to British trade in Japan.
Art 5: Japan as a token of friendship cedes to Great Britain a large concession in the port city of Fukuokoa for a duration of 75 years
Art 6: Great Britain accepts to provide assistance in modernizing Japan
may the friendship between our nations endure!
Taisha Tenno, Emperor of Japan

We accept your proposal and sign the Treaty of Edo.

Signed, His Majesty Victor I, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland king, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India.

Signed, William Gladstone, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Sorry everyone, catching up to all the PMs, diplo and front page nonsense now.

I should have 33 EP banked, but otherwise it looks good.

Edit: My leader should be Tsar Alexander II, though he died IRL in 1881. Merci

Done and done.

Cut me from this for now, please? I'm sorry, I don't have the time.

Already did, no problem.

To: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, The French Empire

The citizens of Hawaii have spoken, and our soldiers are on the ground bringing order to the situation. We did so with the express approval of the French Empire, who tacitly supported us, and even sent naval support. We understand the concerns of your government, and want you to rest assured that we intend to restore order to the area. For the sake of peace, you can feel free to use the excellent harbors as your own, and can even station overseers on the islands to monitor the situation.

To: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

We are in agreeance with all before-mentioned points.

To: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

We will agree to a reduction of tariffs, but hesitate to sign a mutual alliance. Your empire is wide, and interests spread far. We feel that perhaps a purely defensive alliance would be in our better interests.

To: The United States of America

We have been proud and independent for longer than we were associated with you. We have recently had fairly amiable relations, and hope that doesn't change. We will, however, direct foreign policy for ourselves in whatever way is most beneficial to the Commonwealth. At this point in time, a defensive alliance with Great Britain would be in our interests.

To: All Colonial Powers in Africa
From: The Commonwealth of New England, the Netherlands, The Kingdom of Spain

A gathering in Paris would be most fruitful we think; we'd hate to see a minor colonial skirmish flare into something much larger.

EDIT: I realized I didn't give out bonuses for stories last turn. Christos, you will have an additional 10 EP banked for this turn. Thank you for your submission.

Hey,

To: United States of America

It seem winter has been hard for your people. To help in this time of need, I offer extra Grain Shipments for the following 6 months.
This would be legal under, Article 8 ... export of "breadstuffs" and red ginseng.

Emperor Gojung of the Korean Empire

KUS004

The front page has been updated, and PMs have been sent. If something is amiss, or you haven't received a response from me, please repost.

I'd like to try to get these orders in by Thursday, if possible, Friday at the latest. I'm going to try my best to get you folks another quick update.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the front page is also only updated until the update. All the post 1880 stuff will be posted after the 1881 update. It easier for me that way, and I don't like posting things that aren't actually set in stone.

To: the Republic of California

In the interests of peace, we accept your proposal for British basing rights and will be sending a unit of overseers to the islands in order to oversee the situation, as well as a brigade of soldiers to ensure that the Hawaiian rebels do not destabilise the region and threaten Western interests in the region.

To: the Dominion of Michigan, the Dominion of Canada, the Commonwealth of New England

Noting your acceptance, we will all reduce tariffs on all parties this year and the defensive alliance between the British Empire and the Commonwealth of New England will go into effect this year.

Hey,

Beautiful Landscapes & Rotating Shadows.

The lecture had finished and Mr. Eadweard James Muybridge, photographer, pioneer in the work on animal locomotion and inventor
of the zoopraxiscope stood at a crossroads. This was his last lecture. He had been unfunded by the Royal Society of Arts for his studies in
stop-motion in photography. Even going as far as calling him a plagiarist. His trip to Central America had been trouble from the start.
Many of the plates were destroyed in shipment. It looked bleak.

Then he heard the heavy twin doors opened with the sound of unoiled hinges and a pair of foot steps walk onto the tiled floor of the study hall.

"I am extremely tried and I have a lot of work to do." He turn to look at the strange pair. A quite tall oriental, finely attired male. A little behind him
was a little oriental female dressed in the finest fashions of Savannah. A scarf wrapped around the leather collar required by law. The sight spellbound
him. He stared in fascination at the two.

The tall man presented his hand to the girl & guided her beside him. "This is Mistress Song Yi Ang." She bowed to the older man.
"I am Do Min Joon , son of Korean Empire Ambassador Dae-sung Joon. Thirty-seventh cousin to Empress Min." He smiled. "And your seconded biggest fan."

"What is it I can do for you?" He said shaking, fighting back a massive urge to laugh. "I was just finishing to go home."

"The Korean Empress Min is your biggest fan. She has found your work interesting and wishes to buy your time." He stepped forward withdrawing a large
package from the greatcoat over his arm. I have gold backed Korean imperials or United States dollars or even British note for your time now.

"You do not need to pay me for this meeting." He started to laugh at the two Orientals One a slave. One a relative of the Empress at that, would be willing
to pay him for the meeting. He had seen and experienced many strange things but this was above all the rest.

"You misunderstand me Mr. Eadweard James Muybridge." Do Min Joon smiled. "Her Empress Min want to pay you to bring everything to Korea. Your whole
lab and equipment. Your experiments. You will have a large residents on the grounds of the Sungkyunkwan University in the heart of our capital Hanseong."
He spread his arms. "Your new lab will be second to none in the world. You will be free to work on any experiments you wish when not taking photographs."

Song Yi Ang stepped forward and grabbed the laughing man's hands. A slave in Korea would never do that. But here she was a Korean slave in the United States
and afforded more freedom then in her home country. It wasn't Korean Empire official policy but a cultural need to own or be better then the dark skinned slaves
of the United States. The ill concealed leather collar, worn by Korean law, showing her a slave. It did not seem funny to the Koreans that even U.S. slaves rarely
wore collars.

"The Great Empress Min wishes to pay you to take pictures of Korea and show the world the beauty of our nation." She stared deep into his eye and he stopped
shaking with laughter. "Just as you did with Yosemite Valley."

"I believe we can work out a deal." Mr. Eadweard James Muybridge said very seriously as he turned to the tall Oriental.

Blaze Injun

To: All Colonial Powers

We would endorse a colonial conference on Africa in Paris to iron out any disputes before a war breaks out.

To All Colonial Powers
From Venice

Given that Venice does have an African colony, Venice would like to request invitation to this Congress of Africa.

The Russian Empire is proud to announce...

The Treaty of Chongjing

The Russian Empire, and The Korean Empire hereby agree to the following terms -

1) The two aforementioned nations shall enter into a defensive alliance

2) Any attack upon the Korean Empire shall be met with hostility by the Russian Empire, and vice-versa

3) Trade will increase between the two-nations, and tariffs shall be reduced.

4) The Treaty of Khabarovsk is upheld and strengthened as the guiding light of Russo-Korean relations.

Signed, Tsar Alexander II, Emperor and Autocrat of All of The Russians.

Hey

The Russian Empire is proud to announce...

The Treaty of Chongjing

The Russian Empire, and The Korean Empire hereby agree to the following terms -

1) The two aforementioned nations shall enter into a defensive alliance

2) Any attack upon the Korean Empire shall be met with hostility by the Russian Empire, and vice-versa

3) Trade will increase between the two-nations, and tariffs shall be reduced.

4) The Treaty of Khabarovsk is upheld and strengthened as the guiding light of Russo-Korean relations.

Signed, Tsar Alexander II, Emperor and Autocrat of All of The Russians.
Signed, Emperor Gojong of the Korean Empire

KR003

From Japan
To China, Korea, Siam,Ezo (see below for Ezo)

The Enlightened Emperor of the Kingdom of the rising sun presents this agreement to his East Asian neighbors

Treaty of Osaka
Foreword: The treaty of Osaka has for objectives to maintain the peace, the independance and the prosperity of East Asian nations

Art 1: The signatary nations agree to join the Pan-Asian Treaty Organisation.
Art 2: The signatary nations agree to work together on the diplonatic field to preserve their mutual independance against Western imperialism.
Art 3: In case the previously mentionned matters can not be resolved by diplomatic means, the signatary nations agree to provide military assistance according to the extent of their means to secure their mutual independance. The military assistance provided in that manner remains prely defensive
Art 4: The Art 4 can not force a signatary nation to act against one of its allies.
Art 5: The signatary nations agree to engage trade relations and to open selected ports to these trade relations at prefenrential tariffs.
Art 6: Representatives of signatary nations agree to meet at least once a year.
Art 7: The representatives of the signatary nations reserve themselves the right to bring modifications to the previously mentionned clauses.
The Ezo Republic is invited to participate in the treaty on the condition that it recognises total Japanese sovereignety on Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushy Okinawa and Ryukyu islands.
May the friendship between Asian people last ten thousand years!
Taisha Tenno, Enlightened Emperor of Japan.

OOC: the clauses of this treaty are still matter of discussion between Asian nations.
OOC: Japan is now officialy in peace with France so do not worry about that

To: The Emperor Meiji of the Isles Honshu and Kyushu
CC: Great Britain, Ezo Republic, China, Korea, Russia, etc

His Imperial Majesty's government would consider any "Pan-Asian Treaty Organization" a direct threat to the established balance of power in the Far East, and a tacit threat to both the sovereignty of the Ezo Republic and the solvency of French possessions and protectorates in Formosa, Guangxi, Hainan and Indochina. We believe that this view -- that any such alliance constitutes a danger to peace, prosperity and the balance of power in "East Asia" -- will be held by the governments of Great Britain and the Russian Empire, and we invite our friends in both London and Moscow to join us in condemning any such course of action.

We warn the Emperor Meiji that we would consider any continued overtures to ally his dominion with other states in the Asian sphere indicative of the Emperor's intention to eventually violate once more the trust and good will of the French people and their government. Consequently, should other European powers fail to respond appropriately to this danger to their own ventures in the East, the French Empire is prepared to act unilaterally to defend its own interests.

We similarly encourage the Qing Emperor, the Corean monarch and our allies in the Ezo Republic to avoid signing any such agreement with the Emperor Meiji.

So it took me awhile to find a suitable a suitable president but i finally decided on this guy:

Nathan Bedford Forrest

The reason i choose him is because of this awesome paragraph:

wikipedia said:
A month later, Forrest was back in action at the Battle of Shiloh (April 6 to April 7, 1862). He commanded a Confederate rear guard after the Union victory. In the battle of Fallen Timbers, he drove through the Union skirmish line. Not realizing that the rest of his men had halted their charge when reaching the full Union brigade, Forrest charged the brigade single-handedly, and soon found himself surrounded. He emptied his Colt Army revolvers into the swirling mass of Union soldiers and pulled out his saber, hacking and slashing. A Union infantryman fired a musket ball into Forrest's spine with a point-blank musket shot, nearly knocking him out of the saddle. Forrest grabbed an unsuspecting Union soldier, hauled him onto his horse to use as a shield, dumped the man once he had broken clear and was out of range, then galloped back to his incredulous troopers. A surgeon removed the musket ball a week later, without anesthesia, which was unavailable. Forrest would likely have been given a generous dose of alcohol to muffle the pain of the surgery.

Also because he was a grand wizard of the ku klux klan (which doesn't exist in this timeline).

To: The French Empire

We don't seem to have much of a choice in the matter, but your offer is generous enough.

To: The Empire of Japan

We will have to decline your offer.

Just as a reminder, I would like orders in by tomorrow night. Thus far, I have only 1 set in. I've thoroughly enjoyed the few stories and world-building things we've had thus far, and hope to see those increase significantly sooner than later.

Hey,

To: The Emperor Meiji of the Isles Honshu and Kyushu
CC: France, Imperial Russia, Great Britain, United States of Ameruia, China, etc.

Without the forceful words of France. The Korean Empire declines & will refuse any Pan-Oreintal Treaty Organisation in the future.

KJ001

To: Japan
CC: France, China, Korea, The Ezo Republic

We fully concur with the French and any attempts to unite East Asia into a pan-Asian alliance will be looked extremely unfavorably upon by the Russian Empire. We urge you to withdraw your request, and plans to do so.

Top Bottom