DominatrNES III: Order out of Chaos

I was going to send my orders yesterday but I had unforeseen events get in the way. I'm sending them now.

Chapter Three: Bury the Dead (Y300)

Now forty years since the great inception, a major problem was surfacing: the rain just was not coming anymore. For nearly a decade, the rainfall in the Mehureeoh region was pitifully small. Crops failed and populations shrank, some cultures were even wiped out due to a lack of storage for food. Those who knew the ways of pottery fared remarkably better.

Lapaz was hit hard. The population of the young civilization dwindled and the city of Labohka erupted into civil unrest. The majority of traders avoided the area,greatly lowering the amount of food Lapacites had coming in from foreign sources. Many Lapacites who worked in the mines and were traders that worked their way up and down the Mehur river saw a vulnerable neighbor in Kvt’simprvli Msirit’svarkhvarali and cashed in on the opportunity.

If Lapaz was in a bad situation, then Kvt’simprvli, who was even more isolated and dependent on good harvests, was due even more suffering. While the Mtskhat'ski leadership was obsessed with locating gems and stones in the mountains, the people starved and eventually bands of Lapacites, dealing with their own problems at home, decided to attack. After burning Smkhut’skhediskhvavli to the ground, the rugged Lapacites set up their own state- separate from Lapaz- called Carta. Many of the Mtskhat'ski fled as refugees and set up a state called Timpr which was out of reach of Carta.

Down the coast, Incabra was faring well, due to their reliance on fish, not crops. Incabra inherited the trade traffic that Lapaz could no longer handle, and therefore, made a healthy profit. Their main trade partner, Ghask, also was thriving due to their mastery of pottery. The lack of food was a pain, but Ghask was able to retain their population pretty well. Latim prospered as a trade center in these times more than ever, since many traders were shipping fish and game in all directions to ailing nations.

Another state along the southern coast of the Blessed Lands, Firen, was doing exceptionally well. Firen continued to lead the way for the region technologically, demonstrated by the systemic ceremonial burial of mass amounts of Golbans following the genocide of Golba. The Ceremonial Burials, although completely irrelevant, were believed to be a source of good fortune and redemption that brought good health and favorable harvests to Firen while many other states suffered.

Speaking of the Genocide of Golba, Golba was another one of the vulnerable civilizations marked by faulty leadership, issues with barbarians, and crop failures. Skur, the rowdy young civilization rapidly evolving on one of the branches of the Golbari River. Skur quickly crushed all forces garrisoned at Old Golba, burned the city to the ground, and claimed the territory as theirs for future development.

Skur's northern neighbors each had very different trajectories. Ishkant struggled to grow since they were dealing with the issue of famine. The crops they had planted failed repeatedly, and when Skur went to war with Golba, all excess food was given to the Skuri troops instead of being shipped to Ishkant. Illdira fared a bit better since they were users of pottery, however they, too had their struggles.

Early in the twenty-year period, Illdira sent out scouts to explore the vast expanse of desert to their east in hopes of uncovering treasure, finding a contact, or maybe a new resource. The scouts found a contact, alright. Upon entering a strange barbarian-esque camp, all but one scout was slaughtered. The scout returned home badly wounded and deranged, unable to retell his account of the incident. Illdira was under the impression that the Draten barbarians to their east were responsible for the killing of the scouts (they actually were not). However, the Drateni were planning an assault on Illdira at the same time that Illdira was mobilizing its forces, resulting in a fight that was not quite as one-sided as the last war Draten was enveloped in. After a stalemate of about five years, Illdira gave way and Draten sacked several southern towns of Illdira. The forces were unable to establish a foothold, however, because the animals in the deserts were being hunted by other tribes and civilizations in greater numbers, triggered by the crop failures.

To the south, Butalia quietly raced ahead in technology, keeping pace with the intelligent Fireni. Butalia was also active on the scouting front, sending out scouts down the coast and into the desert, stumbling upon Haexar, a state of marauding traders on the coast south of Butalia. Since the Butaliaites stayed out of the conflicts around them, they were able to trade safely with Haexar and Firen.

Vozle was a bit more tame and did not suffer the same food issues as Mehureeoh- well at least not to the same degree. The exception was Mirysk, which mysteriously disappeared off the face of the map due to rumored food shortages. Ez Dera Thani scouts reported that some Miryskans set up an enclave across the Arnesti Moutnains, but Ez Dera Thani scouts have been known to fabricate.

Sauromavia was once again the strongest empire of the region, continuing to extend itself toward Herite and continuing to dictate trade. The Heritites did not seem to mind due to the cultural similarities. Up the coast, Ishalin was evolving into a similarly dominant power. They branched out and built relations with Kerchan and Veshelard and even sent out scouts do discover the unknown, meeting an interesting culture called Vrereg to their north. Not to be overlooked, Ndriakoro saw their state expand rapidly along the K'lish River. Veshelard began to envy the lands near Ndriakoro, since the other side of their borders was locked up by Ishalin.

Between Y280 and Y300, the Blessed Lands saw more death than it has ever. Crops failed left and right, wars raged on, and the existence of several states was ended. However, the dead were buried and the Blessed Lands moved on...

Spoiler :

To Firen:
From Ghask
Our Great Prophet is willing to trade gifts with your civilisation in order to establish a friendship between our two people.

To Incabra
From Ghask
Our two people have traded many years and formed inseparable bonds between our two cultures. Let us form a proper friendship by entering into an alliance.

To Ishkant
From Ghask
The Great Prophet has in his wisdom sent us to approach you with a deal. We are willing to give you the secrets of pottery if you help us crush the vile Skuri that have defied us for so long.

Interesting update.

This is how i feel Frien and Butalia are represented (Frien green suit/Butalia blue suit)

Spoiler :

yeah, that seems like something i would do.

To Ghask
From Firen

Well met, friends. We have long wished to engage in trade relations with your people. We accept.

Orders due Sunday 1 PM. Sorry for the late return on the update. If it feels like there is very little time until the next update, it is because i am trying to keep pace and get as many updates in as i can before i go back to school where my free time is much less.

If you have absolutely no idea where to check for the orders deadline, it is located at the top of the first post next to the title.

Also, feel free to post an RP if you have time. I know the time is short until the next update, but you never know, a small story may pay big dividends in the future.

As our scouts have returned with tales of war and drought in some of the lands they have visited, we give thanks to the great god Nanor for blessing us after the respect that we have shown for our fallen neighbors, the Golbans. Our legends say that they were children of Nanor, as well, but they had fallen away, and so their city has now fallen as well, though many of them have fled to our city.
And although our great Aran Harndir has passed on to live in paradise with Nanor, we know that he smiles at us as well. His son, the great Aran Uron has succeeded him and shares many of his visions.

Nation’s name: Imperium of Meso/ Mesoite Imperium
Capital City: Meso or imperilus Maso saie
Leader: Imperator Rexcracts
City List:Litalas Maso saie, Notchos firtius heriticas croftia, Redous Harshspheres, Lotsa avirds, Christin-satlement, Enderplacend, Softous-Redous-placend, Highrock, Newous Notchoscroftia, and Rafein.
Person names: Men: Imperator, War-men, Sensible-Guys
Women: Imperatrist, Heal-girl, Crazy-sometimes.
Societal Structure: Imperator, craftsmen, warriors, priests, farmers.
Religious Beliefs: The superiority of chicken compared to all other meats. Chicken MUST be eaten.
Custons: (What are your peoples; traditions?)
Values: Power: That you work your hardest to become the most powerful. This causes a lot of intrigue and infighting for the position of Imperator, the most powerful person in the city of Meso. It usualy means the most smart, ruthless or strong person gets incharge, but sometimes that guy is just lucky.
Crafts: Also, they also value creating tools, weapons, and other usefull stuff. The craftsmen have a high place in society, higher than the priests at least. The more skilled at the chosen craft of a craftsmen is, the more glory and power he or she has. The best are leaders of their city-guild of the craft they have. This has them set prices and admission rules. They also set a rate of share of the profits the members get for their services. These can be set at any rate. However, it is not liked when the Guild master gets 50% of what a craftsmen gets.
Glory in battle:
They like good battle stories. The warrior is judged on how much loot he earns/brings back, and how many kills he gets. This gives an advantage in becoming Imperator or Petty Imperator of a Mesoite city. It gives a opinion boost and adds an intimidation factor in where you can be killed by your opponent going into your house and slaughtering all he sees or stealing all of your important food-cash. The warriors also are not limited in the homeland, they are allowed to go to other foreign cities. It also helps the weapon-craftsmen because a warrior is not without his weapon of choice. You don't want to risk yourself to getting a non-custom weapon around here.

Economy: Mostly foodstuff from hunting, herding, and farming outside the cities, but in the cities they have more non-foodstuff. Mostly Crafts and weapons. But there are a lot of Mesoite mercenaries at home and in foreign places. There is also a bit of local mining, but it is not extensive or particularly large.
Brief History: It is not well known where they come from, but they arrived at the Meso of their home after moving from the mountains in the east. only recently they have been noticeable enough to be like the others.
Area on Map: Meso.png

DIVINE FAVOUR

Huge crowds of overjoyed people gathered outside the imperial palace in Latim, waiting for what would be a special occasion. Mahlim Wrub was about to address a speech to the crowd about the past events, something that would later on become a tradition for the Ghaskians. Surrounded by royal guards and priests, the Mahlim with his impressive attire exited the palace. This was the first time in Ghaskian history that even common people saw him in flesh and blood.

" Descendants of As - Tarks, your wishes have been fulfilled!" he exclaimed to the crowd. " Would it have not been for the warning of the Great River God, we woukd all have laid in ruins, destroyed by the lack of food that the vile As - Mog gave to this world. But we, the children of As - Tarks have been protected by him and his wisdom! I am aware that some of you had hardships during those times that have now passed, but now we must work hard for the times that are to come. Just as As - Tarks helped and protected us, we must now show our gratitude to him by building a grand temple to him. And let this temple be known as Mogsiana, as to refer to the hardships that we had to pass in this years and to be a beacon to the better times that are now to come. "

With that, the crowd cheered and entered into a massive celebration, unlike any other before in history. Oxen and sheep were burned and thrown into the Tarks river, while dead fish were buried in the ground. What was once in the sea is now in the earth, just as what was once in the earth is now in the sea. Such is the way of the Ghask.

A chance to serve​

“Emperor Kusa, it's become apparent that our militarism isn't as strong as it should be,” Advisor Na said with a sense of urgency.

The Emperor sighed before responding, “I'm aware of this problem Na.”

“Do you know what determines if somebodies born as a king or a peasant?”

“No sir, I've got no idea.”

“Chance, my friend. Chance.”

“Chance? What are you getting at?”

“My point is that perhaps how we increase our military strength.”

“I'm still failing to get your point Na.”

“My point is that like life, maybe our military should be set up like a lottery.”

“Oh, I'm intrigued. Explain more.”

“This lottery system involves drafting a militia. This militia will serve as the police force for five years. They're also expected to fight if an invasion occurs.”

“Fascinating. Why have the police serve for only five years?”

“That Kusa, is to prevent the police from abusing their power.”

“Uhh, why does it matter if police abuse their power or not?”

“It will make neighboring villages more likely to cooperate with us if the police don't abuse their power.”

“Fair enough, but who would be drafted? Also how would the lottery work?”

“Villagers would have their names put into a container of some sort. A container like... that!” Na said while pointing at an empty gourd shell.

“You still haven't answered my questions.”

“I was about to get to that, anyway the people whose names are drawn will be the ones who are drafted. The members will come from the villages that have join us.”

“You expect them to just go along with this plan with resisting?”

“Ah yes, here's the genius part, each village will have it's own militia. Not only that, but the leaders who are participating in this will still be given some independence.”

“So what do we get out of this system in return?”

“Easy, the allied villages will also have to provide resources to both our capital along with other allied villages. Also if one of our villages is attacked, both our capital and other allied villages will send their soldiers to help protect the village or villages that are under attack.”

“Interesting. I'm not sure if I like it though Na.”

“If you had a better idea then why bother summoning me and asking for help?”

Grunting Kusa said, “I suppose you've got a valid point,” and after sighing Kusa continued, “Alright, I'll make this happen.”

Ndriakoro Military

The Ndriakoro Military is rather typical for stone age armies. The soldiers are called kinpa. There are two different types of soldiers.

The Awn Kinpa are the soldiers who specialize in melee combat (Awn Gwodowa). Generally the Awn Kinpa carried hatchets (nabaze), and spears (ukho). They also generally also carry several javelins (agucla) which they throw before charging at the enemy. Awn Kinpa also carry a shield (nawu) which is around 3.5 feet tall and 1.5 feet wide. The shields are used both as bashing weapons as well as a means of defense.

In addition to the Awn Kinpa, there are the Skirmishers (Ilula Kinpa). The Ilula Kinpa generally are equipped with a sling (adawe) or a bow (umnalze) and arrows (mciza). They also carry a knife (kuplo). Unlike the Awn Kinpa, the Ilula Kinpa don't carry a shield.

The commander (umnapa) is generally distinguished from the other soldiers by wearing a wooden mask (isua).

OOC : I would like to point out that stone age didnt have bows and arrows :)

I didnt know that ...

Chapter Four: The Race of States (Y320)

After decades of brutal hardship and struggle, the crop failures were over. The recovery was most visible in Lapaz, a civilization hit quite hard by the famine. Lapacite farmers slowly regained the confidence required to plant huge fields of wheat, knowing that they would not have to hunt or scavenge. The day to day life was over, the people could live. Having food was one thing, but becoming a powerful state was another. Lapaz was so caught up with food security measures that technology was on the back burner. In fact, the Lapacites were known for being the most technologically backwards along with the war-hungry Drateni.

In contrast, Incabra, Lapaz's rowdy neighbor, was progressing frighteningly quickly. Incabra managed to stay in the loop technologically, grow their population, and raise a military that rivaled the likes of the Drateni and Ishi. They remained firmly in place in regards to trade; they still funneled goods to Latim and brought goods back in return.

Ghask itself eased off the trade dominance for a bit to settle some disputes with their long-term enemy: Skur. Many years ago, Skuri forces slaughtered bands of Ghaskan settlers on their way up to the least populated branch of the Golbari River. Ghask wished for retribution. Together with the war hungry Ishi, they carried out a two-pronged attack that devastated the powerful Skuri. Skur somehow managed to hold up their main bastion, but lost the conquered territories they acquired from crumbling Golbans years earlier. Ishkant gained control of Old Golba, thus sitting in prime position to take over the Golbari trade scene. Ghask ended up with nothing save for the taste of revenge and perhaps satisfaction after massacring Skuri scouts and outer village dwellers. Skur still remained intact, for the most part, and a deep hatred for the Ishi and Ghaskans was brewing within the Skuri community.

Illdira, which was enveloped in a small war not too long ago, was showing signs of a strong and successful recovery. They were able to rebuild several of their southern villages that were reduced to ashes by Drateni forces. Illdira mobilized a small army which was much improved over their last, but much to their chagrin, Draten did not return for a second round of bloodshed. Illdira, not being known as an aggressor, remained in a defensive mindset, and fortified those troops throughout outer Illdira.

Firen and Butalia both cruised ahead technologically, with Butalia even developing a "Warrior Code" based off of principles their scouts observed in various conflicts abroad. It was rumored that the Warrior Code was a means of organizing and structuring military forces that optimized performance and outcome. Both states also remained the anchors in the trade theater. Firen traded upriver and both east and west along the coast, raking in profits. Butalia began to trade informally with Haexar and the newly discovered Rhonolan civilization further south along the coast.

Vozle also had its share of astounding events. Probably the most impressive was how Sauromavia swallowed Herite into its rapidly expanding religious sphere. The catalyst for this conversion of territory and customs was the construction of the Adnrophagi, a waleld fortress/temple complex founded along the river, just near Ez Dera Thani lands. The allure of the wondrous Adnrophagi became apparent when Heritites flocked in great numbers to explore the complex and consequently, they were captured by the Sauromavian faith. Herite essentially agreed to cede their territories to the Sauromavian empire. Ez Dera Than, however, was not so willing to accept the cultural invasion. Absolutely disgusted with the alien societal structure and foreign belief system, Ez Dera Than showed their displeasure by completely cutting off all trade with Sauromavia. Instead, they turned and began to exchange goods primarily with their new neighbor to the east. Meso, as it was commonly referred to, was beginning to be lauded and recognized for their diligent craftsmen.

Further up the coast, Ishalin continued to put its dominance on display. Large volumes of goods were exchanged between Ishalin and its neighbors, Kerchan, Vrereg, and Veshelard. Ishalinw as well liked due to this constant trade and the fact that Ishalin was propping them up technologically. Ishalin continued to scout the lands, this time scouting the savannah to their southeast and finding two small, but quickly maturing civilizations: Kap-Esh and Som-Esh, the latter was believed to have been around a bit longer than the former. Som-Esh was quite warm and welcoming, but Kap-Esh was a little more... feisty. Several Ishalic scouts were captured and jailed in a prison deep inside a cave for "trespassing" on the lands belonging to the Kapic people.

Ndriakoro was beginning to build up their military in response to the ascent of the lofty Veshelardi. Veshalard refused to trade with Ndriakoro, saying that they "trade with Ishalin exclusively" and that they "don't prefer to deal with lesser peoples". After numerous trade disputes and stark cultural differences became evident, a small relational rift was forming between Ndriakoro and Veshelard, one that may catch fire.

Despite the serious setback not long ago, the Blessed Lands recovered quite well. Stirrings of war have once again surfaced, and the brutal clashing, arrogance, and competitive atmosphere seemed to have returned. Although some civilizations were pretty powerful and some were weak, no true powers have emerged. Perhaps from this collection of small warring states, an "empire" will emerge.

Spoiler :

As usual, an excellent update!

To Ez Dera Than
From Sauromavia

Misogynists! Fools! Heathens! You would rather be poor and keep your women under your thumb than be prosperous and see your women strong and independent!

Giving Thanks and Developing Music
The priests of Nanor give thanks to the lord of creation for ending the droughts, although they did not really affect the Fireni people, crediting their faith and rain dances.
In order to further give thanks to Nanor, Aran Uron has made it known that he wishes for someone to create a way to make music that will complement the drummers (who really just bang on boulders with sticks). The man who answered the call was named Caunir, inventing the flute and becoming one of the king's royal entertainers. His flute quickly caught on and spread throughout Thalas aand the surrounding area.

Top Bottom