US West 1840 to 1900 Development Thread

Well that's because there is no gulf coast in this game.

I agree the company can be a pain if you are playing one of the west coast territories.
However, remember you are in a locked alliance with Oregon, when the company
attacks you this will cause Oregon to declare war on the company. Also you want to
get into a war fairly early to make the most of your golden age. Your prospectors will
trigger a golden age when they win a combat. When I see one of those redcoats coming
I fortify some prospectors in the mountains and let them get attacked.
:goodjob: Nice tip Eric....I usually sent them "heading home" as fast as they can!:mischief:

Ok then...what the heck is that body of water? If it ain't a gulf, sea or ocean then don't allow a harbor build?? Also if you can't trade harbor to harbor that needs to be spelled out clearly in the game notes so one doesn't waste time doing so expecting the benefit and then don't get it. Not sure how you want to address this. But either a Harbor works or it doesn't. Maybe best just to make that "water" into land terrain across the entire map bottom. That takes care of that!:eek:

Don't know why horses are so scarce in California. Every John Wayne, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy movies I watched as a kid had wild horses all over California!!!!:crazyeye:

With respect to a trade benefit between the Gulf Coast and the Pacific Coast, even if it were possible, your shipping route had to pass around South America, via either the Straits of Magellan or south of Cape Horn (not the safest way to go unless really desperate). The Panama Canal did not exist until 1914, although the French did try to build one in the 1880s.

I know that!!! Add "slap in the face"! Thanks for the gentle reminder!!! :hammer2:

As I recall the rules, to build a harbor you need to on a body of water over a certain size, I think
it might be 10 tiles or more. As far I know the only waters large enough are the Pacific, the Great
Salt Lake and the Gulf of California (which is on the south edge of the map, SE of Los Angles, and
nowhere near Texas).

Can you discuss the distribution of horses in the game Eric? Thanks

I used the "redistribute resources" function in the editor, so the distribution is random. Whenever I start a new game I do another redistribute, it makes it a lot more challenging not knowing in advance where the resources are. It puts the emphasis on exploring in the early part of the game and encourages conflicts with the natives, Mexicans, etc. to get strategic resources.

I can tell you the appearance rate is set to 160 and the disappearance is turned off.

Yes, I have some changes, I'm putting up a new version now.

V71 beta Changes
Resources:
1. Uranium was removed.
2. Copper is now using the uranium graphic icon.
3. Silver was added, since there is no icon for silver yet, it is using the aluminum can.
4. Rattlesnakes are now only found on the plains & desert, not grasslands.
Apache - were able to build armed civilian unit (a non-native unit), fixed this.
Mexico - The Junta 4 tech allowed building of airports - fixed
Kansas - Changed leader title from "Mr." to "Senator".
Mormons - I added a LDS temple city improvement. This was missing from the buildings
the Mormons can build. There was a great wonder called the LDS temple, but this was
not build-able until the 1890 manifesto was researched. So the regular temple is now
called the "LDS temple" and the wonder is now called "the Great Temple".
Also added additional cities to city list.

This is what copper, rubber and gold look like, silver is just the aluminum can.

Attachments

• res.JPG
    res.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 106
Ok then...what the heck is that body of water? If it ain't a gulf, sea or ocean then don't allow a harbor build?? Also if you can't trade harbor to harbor that needs to be spelled out clearly in the game notes so one doesn't waste time doing so expecting the benefit and then don't get it. Not sure how you want to address this. But either a Harbor works or it doesn't. Maybe best just to make that "water" into land terrain across the entire map bottom. That takes care of that!:eek:

OK, here's the rule:
You cannot trade between the Gulf of California and the Pacific because there is no
sea route on the map. Oh, and you cannot trade between the Great Salt Lake and the Pacific either!

Mormons - I added a LDS temple city improvement. This was missing from the buildings
the Mormons can build. There was a great wonder called the LDS temple, but this was
not build-able until the 1890 manifesto was researched. So the regular temple is now
called the "LDS temple" and the wonder is now called "the Great Temple".
Also added additional cities to city list.

"The Great Temple" is kind of a weird thing to call what I'm assuming you consider the "Salt Lake Temple" given the date, post-1890. If you're looking for a religious/cultural improvement I'd call it a Stake and instead of waiting until "The 1890 Manifesto" to build the "LDS Temple" allow it to be built once three~five Stakes have been built.

Also, maybe call the Territorial Militia the Nauvoo Legion.The Nauvoo Legion was active into the 1870's and wasn't officially disbanded until just before statehood and creation of the Utah National Guard.

instead of waiting until "The 1890 Manifesto" to build the "LDS Temple" allow it to be built once three~five Stakes have been built.

Thanks for the name suggestions! Sadly, I don't think civ game mechanics will allow
five Stakes in different cities to be a prerequisite for building a wonder.

There are some bad filenames in the pediaicons file for the leaderheads for Missouri.
This can cause a crash at the end of the game when the screen which displays the winners and
losers appears. I have posted a new pediaicons file in post #1.

To fix the problem:
1. go to your Conquests\Scenarios\USWest_1840\text folder and rename the existing
PediaIcons.txt to oldPediaIcons.txt. You want to keep the old file around in case anything goes wrong.
2. Download the new PediaIcons.txt file, unzip it and copy it to your
Conquests\Scenarios\USWest_1840\text folder.

This should not affect games in progress.

Thanks for that, I've never used that feature before. I would probably have to set it
for 20 stakes or more to get the wonder into the right time frame.

If you're going strictly for a certain time frame then I'd keep the LDS Temple wonder contingent on a tech, like you have now, rather than based on a building prerequisite (20 would be very difficult to achieve I think). Although, imo, it's not really worth building as it becomes available so late in the game. That's why I suggested a building prerequisite so that it could be available earlier with the same LDS church tech as the Stake. Is there a reason you didn't want it available until the last era? The SL Temple was dedicated in 1893, but there were three other temples dedicated in Utah before that - St. George, Logan, and Manti beginning in 1877.

thanks for update Eric. Am playing Dakota right now but no where near an endpoint. But think I will continue to play this one to its endpoint to see how it goes.

This is the version we will be using for the first PBEM game "Wagons West", see PBEM forum.

Changes since V71:

Fixed up the tech tree in the final age (end of the century).
Electric power is now a prerequisite for telephone & refrigeration.
Telephone & refrigeration are now a prerequisites for mass production.

Oregon - added additional cities to city list.

Mormons - Basic temple renamed as "Stake".
Great wonder temple named as "Salt Lake City Temple"

Missouri & Texas - Fixed problem with slaves not being upgradeable to freemen.

Oregon - Changed temples in starting cities to churches

VP locations - added 2
1. Santa Fe in the southeast part of the map. Santa Fe was the historic
capital of Neuvo Mexico since 1610 and also the western end of the
Santa Fe trail.

2. Entrance to Puget Sound in the northwest part of the map.

Top Bottom