Would anyone be interested in an Indo-Greek scenario?

The Greeks did tend to break up very readily into different, mutually antagonistic factions, so having Indo-Greek civilizations at war with one another does make a lot of sense. As for locked alliances, read an overview of the Peloponnesian War for the amount of alliance changing and backstabbing that went on.

Not only do I like the interface, those citizens are fantastic!!

Not to spam up Virote's thread, but here are a few more (if you want them, Virote, you can have 'em):

Spoiler :

Virote, what is the time frame here? 180 BC to 10 CE?

Edit: The Kambojas would be a nice little civ to add. Somewhere in the Khyber Pass perhaps? And how did you go about naming the Indo-Greek cities? The warlike Indo-Greeks had a tendency to name settlements after the military contingent they placed there, like Rhoetea after Rhodians, etc.

Sadly, the Indo-Greeks spent more time killing each other than writing. But a number of ancient travel accounts are available online.

The time frame is roughly 180BC-10CE, although I may extend that a little further to allow for more possible Indo-Scythian action, or a potential Indo-Greek holdout.

Kambojas are a good possibility.

The city lists are something that needs a lot of work doing, but the priority lies with the main gameplay stuff at the moment so that the scenario's playable.

Not to spam up Virote's thread, but here are a few more (if you want them, Virote, you can have 'em):

Spoiler :

Virote, what is the time frame here? 180 BC to 10 CE?

Edit: The Kambojas would be a nice little civ to add. Somewhere in the Khyber Pass perhaps? And how did you go about naming the Indo-Greek cities? The warlike Indo-Greeks had a tendency to name settlements after the military contingent they placed there, like Rhoetea after Rhodians, etc.

Sadly, the Indo-Greeks spent more time killing each other than writing. But a number of ancient travel accounts are available online.

The graphics are perfect. I'd love to have them myself! Are you going to release them at all? (sorry Virote for hijacking the thread in this way, as I said earlier, I'm also interested in your mod!!)

The time frame is roughly 180BC-10CE, although I may extend that a little further to allow for more possible Indo-Scythian action, or a potential Indo-Greek holdout.

Kambojas are a good possibility.

The city lists are something that needs a lot of work doing, but the priority lies with the main gameplay stuff at the moment so that the scenario's playable.

Whenever you put Indo- in front of it, I love it. Indo-Scythians, Indo-Hephthalites, you name it...

Big map:
Spoiler :

The Indo-Scythians could start out between Alexandria-in-Drangiana (Zaranj) and Alexandria-in-Arachosia (Kandahar).

They'd make an interesting buffer between the Indo-Greeks and the Parthians.

How far is it from playable? In other words, how can I help, if you need it?

*raises hand* What do we do about the invasions by the White Huns?

Eh? I tends that quick? Not good.

Virote, how extensive is the unit line? And how do you represent Horse-Archers?

In my games, equestrian nomad civs will usually have cavalry with stats like 3-2 M2 or M3, and Horse-Archers 1-3 M3. Horsemen are 2-1 M3. HA has zero-range bombard and ZOC.

The Indo-Scythians could start out between Alexandria-in-Drangiana (Zaranj) and Alexandria-in-Arachosia (Kandahar).
I'm actually going to have the Scythian groups start out as wondering nomads more or less. They'll start out in the Northwest of the map, but will be drawn South and East as the game draws on, due to wars and perhaps "dummy" resources.

How far is it from playable? In other words, how can I help, if you need it?
Right now I'd like to focus on getting a techtree in place, along with improvements and wonders and the like.

*raises hand* What do we do about the invasions by the White Huns?
The lovely Hephthalites/Huna/White Huns burst into the scene around 400 years after the scenario is intended to end. :)
The Xiongnu however are on the map - I'm hoping to make them give the Scythians and Kangju enough hassle to get them to spread out.

Virote, how extensive is the unit line?
I want to have some kind of accurate representation of the types of forces available, and I'm hoping to have a couple of upgrades in each unit line for gameplay purposes.

And how do you represent Horse-Archers?

In my games, equestrian nomad civs will usually have cavalry with stats like 3-2 M2 or M3, and Horse-Archers 1-3 M3. Horsemen are 2-1 M3. HA has zero-range bombard and ZOC.

I think I've made Horse Archers slightly weaker but slightly faster and with ZOC. Though unit representation is subject to change at this moment in time :)

:bump:

Been refurbishing this somewhat.

I'm using a different map now. It has no South-East Asia (sadly), but this also means that it has no China, and thus the scope of the scenario more accurately reflects its Indian nature. India itself is now bigger, and it will stretch West to roughly Mesopotamia.

The list of civs has also changed. Several civs have been removed (the Dahae will be represented via units available to the Scythians/Saka. The Xiong-Nu will be represented through Kangju units. The Vietnamese have been removed completely). Here's a low-down on the "who's who" of this scenario:

The Greeks

The Indo-Greeks have now been split into three factions - Pachanada is the most powerful, with their capital at Taxilas. Patalene comes next with their capital down south in Demetrias. Then lastly there is Arachosia based in the Eastern Persian region of the same name.

To the North, and sharing every aspect of the tech-tree and most units with them are the Greek state of Bactria and the small mountainous Greek state of Dayuan. Bactria starts out at the height of its power, and is easily the most powerful Greek kingdom of the region - but this power will be short lived as it finds itself facing the brunt of Persian and Steppe Forces.

Lastly, there are the Seleucids and Egypt.

The Seleucids are in a much-weakened state, starting out in the midst of the civil war against Parthia. They lack sufficient resources and are "blocked off" from the Bactrian/Indian Greek states. Though their Hellenic kinship makes them for a natural early trader, other Greek states should be warned - they have rather ulterior motives; if they capture the capitals of Parthia, Bactria, Dayuan, and the three Indo-Greek civs, then they can build a wonder allowing Diplomatic Victory. In the late-game, they turn into Romans, with much the same goals.

Egypt start as a two-city trading hub close to the edge of the map, surrounded by sea. A very rich civ whose primary purpose is to trade. In the later game, they too turn into Romans. Be warned - the Egyptians take their trading very seriously and may resort to protectionalism and colonisation to sustain their needs.

The Indians

The North of India is witnessing the aftermath of the Mauryan Empire. Fanatical Hindu Sungas dominate the former Mauryan heartland - and by retaining much of the Mauryan strength, they aren't much to be messed with.

Other powerful kingdoms in the area include Mathura to the North-West, the Avanti kingdom based on Ujjain to the West, Kalinga to the East, Kuninda to the North, and the Satavahana kingdom to the South (who have considerable potential as the game progresses). Also in the region are the smaller kingdoms of Kashmir, Uddyana, and the Ror.

Southern India has its fair share of powerful kingdoms - rich in resources and wealth. They include the Chola and Pandyan in the South Deccan (with units representing the Chera too), and Tamraparni over on Sri Lanka.

The Nomads

This scenario will also include the bulk of the Indo-Scythian period which succeeded the Indo-Greek period. As such, there are two Scythian civilizations - Scythia and Sakastan who start up in the Steppes but will soon reign havoc as far as the eye can see, as well as the Kangju and Kushan civilizations. These nomadic civs share a simplistic tech tree designed to facilitate their rise as a threat.

Along with the true nomadic factions, there are also the Parthians. These guys start out in them midst of their historic rebellion against the Selecuids, and already control much of Persia. These guys have the potential to be the big, bad, bully of the scenario - though securing their borders against the threats of the Selecuids, the Nomads, and the Bactrian Kingdom will be a tough prerequisite.

The last semi-nomadic civs are the Tarim Basin, who form a useful trading bloc for the two Bactrian entities, and the Tibetans up in the Himalayas.

Other Civs

The Chinese are still represented in this scenario. They only control a small cluster of cities now, and through most of their game their primary importance will be their access to the valuable silk resource. Very rich and very powerful, they can and will resort to protectionalism and colonialism similar to that of Egypt, with Tibet and the Bactrians often being the primary sufferers of their ire.

The Pyu city-states also retain their role in Burma. They can trade and pack a small punch, but largely their importance is limited.

Arabia and Ethiopia are the last two civs. Their role is rather similar - trade of luxuries primarily. Though they tend not to have the sort of forces capable of taking and holding significant ground overseas, they are something of masters at piracy. Arabia itself is open to colonisation - though on the Peninsular, the Arabs will put up much more of a fight. The Ethiopians occupy a couple of cities in the far-West of the map surrounded by sea much like the Egyptians, and are centred around the trading hub of Adulis.
The tech tree is going to be three eras long, with varying levels of Flavouring throughout. These eras represent the Rise of the Indo-Greeks, the Later Indo-Greek Era, and the Indo-Scythian Era - a sort of "what if?" era for the Greeks of the region.

The true Nomadic civs (Scythians/Saka/Kushans/Kangju) will also have their own simplistic tech-tree. Generally linear, it will gear them up to be a nigh-unstoppable force!

Me too :)

Virote, please correct the painful typo on the Seleucids! The word comes from Seleucos, one of my favourite characters among Alexander's successors. His personnal story is impressive and the statues we know of him are magnificent.

How do you make the Egyptians and Seleucids turn into Romans?

Can you make their cities and citizens look Roman?

Hey.

I also am interested in this scenario. There is some progress in the works?

Greetings

Top Bottom