What's the big deal about Hexagonal map grids?

The bottom line is that hexes are better... unless your map has some sort of coordinate system like Civ games do, in which case squares are over nine thousand times better.

The bottom line isn't even straight on a hex grid :mischief:

Squares are good enough for chess, a game of infinite complexity and richness, so they have to be adequate for civ. Hexes are kind of pretty, admittedly. I have an instinctive loathing of anything that reminds me of Civ 5, though, and I have played it for less than an hour (it was still too long). Frankly, the entire concept of Civ 5 - turning a strategic board into a tactical one - was a terrible one that should have been binned at the outset.

In short, squares are civ 4ish, hexes are civ 5esque. Which would you rather be playing? :p

Say what now?

Rules? All serious hex chess variants I'm familiar with deviate considerably more from a normal chess board. I'm half suspecting the aim is to treat it as a square chessboard (each file intact with tile 1-8) and try to keep your brain from dissolving from the unfamiliarity.

Speaking of odd chessboards, does anyone remember these little gems?

It seems to me that the best strategy for Chess4 would be to sit back, let your opponents kill each other off, and then mop up whoever's left.

And while I'm on a nostalgia kick...

I remember the rooks transforming into giant rock monsters in this game.

I've got battle chess (the game in the last pic) on my Atari ST. Fun times.

As for that hex chess; it's not easy to guess how that would work. For example, where are the bishops allowed to move? Are bishops any different to rooks in hex chess? I suspect it might just be nothing more than a picture of a board, with no actual real game rules.

OMFG, coolest chess set EVER:

Second coolest chess set ever:

You need 3 bishops to play chess on a hex grid...

Some variants:

@paradigm
So each of the 3 bishops is restricted to its own colour squares? Can they jump - e.g. the dark brown bishop in the last pic can it jump from 'f' to 'e' on the first move?

More importantly are those hex chesses fun?!

You need 3 bishops to play chess on a hex grid...

Nonsense. Just leave one color unavailable to bishops. The Queen's color, perhaps.

Never tried hex chess. The bishops move along the diagonals, so it looks like they jump. Dunno if they can squeeze past the pawns or not on the first move.

The queen doesn't have a set colour ;) You really need 3 bishops since bishops are restricted to their own colour square (and there are 3 different colours).

The queen doesn't have a set colour ;)

I meant the color that the queen starts on, obviously.

Q: How the hell do the knights move?!? There are no right angles!

Chess4 was so broken lol. Instant checkmate if they opt to pile you! The threats from all directions were crazy; it was as much a diplo game as actual chess.

Chess4 was so broken lol. Instant checkmate if they opt to pile you! The threats from all directions were crazy; it was as much a diplo game as actual chess.

Petrosian - Brown Pieces
Annoyed

Our close pawn structure causes tensions (-1)
You castled on the other side (+1)
You took our queen! (-5)

:lol:

Except castling on the other side usually indicates aggressive intent...

Hmm, yes I guess it would. Maybe the thing to do would be buddy up with the left or right side and agree to castle towards each other.

I meant the color that the queen starts on, obviously.
It is interesting that you say so, since your hex chess image has the Queen starting on the same colour as a Bishop.

I would tend to think, too, that you would either want 3 Bishops or else you would have to allow them to switch colours... switching colours could mean moving in the 4 diagonal-only movement paths while not in the vertical path (or horizontal, depending upon the grain of the board).

Actually, maybe going with 2 bishops and allowing only diagonal movement would work better when you consider the Rooks... in that you'd allow Rooks to only move vertically and horizontally, such that one of those direcitons would involve "skipping" between columns.

If you don't allow this 2-directional movement path for Rooks, then you're looking at Rooks instead moving in any of the 6 possible directions, which would make them equal to a Queen.

Certainly, there are challenges with however you choose to implement the rules.

Nah, Queens can move as a rook or a bishop, so Rooks are ok moving in all 6 directions.

Indeed, queens in Hex Chess can move in twelve different directions, with rooks and bishops getting six each.

I'm still confused about the knights.

Top Bottom