Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

I'm curious if Religion introduces a new victory condition? Or if it gets folded into culture?

Still some key features that are being left out to add some depth and realism.

1. Natural disasters. Adds more depth/realism.
2. Health/Food penalties/pollution
3. Additional resources/luxuries.

Those could obviously be modded in, but have been left out here looking at this from face value.

"The nature of diplomacy is going to change as you progress through the ages," explained Beach. In the early ages, religion will be one of the crucial factors in how other civilizations respond to you. Later in the game, those religious prejudices will give way to ideology preferences. When a civilization commits to the freedom, order, or autocracy culture tree, it will become the new driving force behind international relations.

This leads me to believe there will be more definate reasons behind an opposing Civs attitude towards you. That would be THE improvement I've been wanting since day one. I don't care if they hate me or love me, I'll deal with it. I would like to know the reason WHY so I can, if needed, have a somewhat reasonable chance to change a Civs mind about me. While you are supposed to have that ability in the game now, it just doesn't work very well. If it does in Gods and Kings, that would be fantastic!!:)

Oh yeah!!

Greg thanks for all the patience of getting complained, and thanks to devs to already great game thats gonna get even better!

I'm so thankful to Greg that this info wasn't released earlier, imagine if they had said, like, months ago that Spring 2012 will see a new KICK ASS expansion. The waiting would have driven me crazy!
Now we need to wait probably to may, maximum. Sweet!

Some random notes of mine:

* No spies running around map like ninjas, great! I hated that stuff in Civ IV
and gotta love this quote from the IGN preview about some of the espionage stuff:
" If you learn that France is going to invade Spain, you can blow the whistle and give Spain a heads-up, which will have serious diplomatic consequences. "

* Customized religions, Social Policy style. Love it!

* ZOUNDS of new units and Civs. I mean... I would have expected maximum of two new Civs, but nine!!

* Machinegun! Early tank! Biplanes!! I think WW1 was such a revolution in war, nationalism and destruction of many empires of old. Here it gets the best treatment than in any civ.

* Personally I hope to get another "modern" Civ like Netherlands, fingers crossed for Austria or Portugal. Polish fans have been craving for Poland so that's maybe possible too.

* More complex system for getting City-states to your side... and sabotaging others' attemps! :D

* Diplomacy influenced by religions in early eras, ideologies in later eras. It's like Firaxis and 2k steal our dreams while we sleep and then implement them into the game! :) :)

* I hope the new privateed unit works under no country's flag, so you can harrass your opponents incognito

And one of the biggest things for me:

* Some of the original civilization abilities are also being tweaked to accommodate the changes coming in Gods and Kings.

This is good news, the additions could make a great game even greater.

However, I really hope that the implementation of religion and espionage is much better than the horrible way they were implemented in Civ4.

Amazing stuff! Did i say AMAZING? :goodjob:

Awesome, I'm counting the days.

This is all very exciting news. Unfortunately, I know when it comes out it'll be full of bugs and heavily unbalanced, and it'll take a few patches to fix it and make it as great as we're all anticipating. I'm looking forward to it, but I know when it first comes out there will be a lot of frustration due to the bugs and balance issues.

Preview of thousands of comments from miscellaneous Civfanatics in a few months: "zOMG how could Firaxis release such a broken game! What a disgrace to the Civ franchise!!! <Lead designer's name> should be fired!!!!!"

This is all very exciting news. Unfortunately, I know when it comes out it'll be full of bugs and heavily unbalanced, and it'll take a few patches to fix it and make it as great as we're all anticipating. I'm looking forward to it, but I know when it first comes out there will be a lot of frustration due to the bugs and balance issues.

Preview of thousands of comments from miscellaneous Civfanatics in a few months: "zOMG how could Firaxis release such a broken game! What a disgrace to the Civ franchise!!! <Lead designer's name> should be fired!!!!!"

if Firaxis are smart, they won't do the same mistake again.

And I can't help that what you just said earlier has a bit of influence, they are announcing an EP few months before it's actual release, so maybe they are now taking time to polish it off?

Anybody noticed that the Tech Atlas and the Unit Atlas are BIGGEr? and the Tech Atlas has a improved/modified research wheel look?

Well, I guess I willhave to buy the game now. :)

So essentially Civ 5 is going to be everything it should have been in the first place.

Yeah I am never going to buy a game again until it is complete. All DLC's and expansions included. I don't care if I am 2-3 years behind the latest technology and graphics. Means I won't have to upgrade my comp every so often either. Save money and don't get jipped buying an incomplete game.

Top Bottom