Preview and Request Thread

They're nice pictures but as far as I'm aware the Dacians had some light javelin-armed cavalry and used Rhoxolani Sarmatians.

I've never come across any references to their use of horse archers.

because you must read about the getae...
ovidius mentions horse archers, but he is not the first to do it...thucydides, and other historians, i read a few months about dacian horse archers, but i do not remember whom it was, i think it is ovidius, cause the writer says "they are all excellent riders and they use the bow from the mounting position"...something like that..off course sarmatians are related to the dacians, more than some would want it...

I suppose if you take Dacians in the widest sense of the meaning you could include the Getae. There was and is still a lot of debate on their inter-relationship.

Some figures used by RTW and its Mods are excellent and have obviusly been researched well. Others are not - I tend mostly to check around in a variety of sources.

I don't think i am going to make a Dacian horse archer, however I will make a pair of Sarmatian horse archers (early and late) which would likely fit. These Dacians are from around the time of the Dacian Wars and I don't think that they still had horse archers at that time. As to Dacian cavalry, there will be cavalry and javelin-horsemen. Thanks for posting those pictures by the way, I'll steal some more shield designs from them.

On another note some more previews:

Medieval Welsh:
Spoiler :

Medieval Lowland Scotland:
Spoiler :

Renaissance Ireland:
Spoiler :

wow, beautifull units, have u any reference picture for the pickaxe guy, i am very curious to see one...:hatsoff:
ps you are welcome, balam-aqab, i would suggest to add at least some light armoured dacian archer....

wow, beautifull units, have u any reference picture for the pickaxe guy, i am very curious to see one...:hatsoff:
ps you are welcome, balam-aqab, i would suggest to add at least some light armoured dacian archer....

The reference picture for the pickaxe soldier came from here: http://www.dbaol.com/armies/army_92_figure_1.htm. I have no idea if it is accurate or not (I suspect not ;)) but I liked it and therefore made it. Pickaxes were used in medieval Europe (they are good for getting through plate armour), so it is possible that the welsh could have used them against the heavily armoured English, but who knows :dunno:.

No hurry - just wondered if the Africans already previewed are coming along?

Also - I might be able to help with some sounds for them if needed. Pedia content / icons as well.

2 of the Azande are done (I need to animate the Kpingaman), the San are mostly done (the archer needs to be rendered, mainly ), I'm still tweaking the civ colour on the lion hunter, and the Mbuti spearman is done, but I need to finish animating the crossbowman.

If you have sounds for them that you think would work, by all means, send them my way (I'll just use the standard sounds otherwise). The pedia icons are easy to do, they take all of 5 minutes, so I'll just do 'em myself (a fair number are done already). If you want to do a few pedia entries, that would be great too, it might help others to know what the :devil: these units are ;).

On a side note, I'm also currently working on some Kongo and Great Zimbabwe units as well.

Seems like there's a lot of exciting stuff - both expected and unanticipated - to look forward to!

Pedia entries - might need to wait until I see images or at least a complete list to make finished texts. Can start general work on the ones I know about.

Sounds - available sounds will work for most animations. If there are some - victories (?) - that need something different let me know. Will take some searching, but maybe something short in !Kung or one of the other San languages could be found for a fidget, as one example. Depending on the animation, of course. "Elephant!" while he points, or "Sun" while shading eyes.

At the moment, the only unique animation is a hopping victory for the lion hunter. Victories and fidgets are the only parts which are easily changeable. If you have ideas for these two, I'll consider adding them. Just try not to suggest anything too complicated, the haka I'm working on is hard enough :p.

At the moment, the only unique animation is a hopping victory for the lion hunter. Victories and fidgets are the only parts which are easily changeable. If you have ideas for these two, I'll consider adding them. Just try not to suggest anything too complicated, the haka I'm working on is hard enough :p.
Stick to what animations you're already working with or creating. I'll probably wait to see what animations you produce then make optional sounds if needed. Same goes for pedia descriptions - will allow better descriptions of weapons, etc.

What about Dacians....how long we have to wait to download them?

Since it'll be a small pack, it will be the first of these to be released once I get back to my PC. They should be posted in the first week of April.

I am looking forward to your release, your attention to historical detail makes these units stand out.

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you.

Update:

A Maori with the skirt texture (with a Mere and a new tiki Necklace):

I have been busier than I expected, and so I've not released anything.

However, I have been slowly rendering these:
Spoiler :
Polynesia:
Hawaii:

Rapa Nui (Easter Island):

Samoa:

Nuku Hiva (Marquesas Islands):

Wow, that Maori unit is looking fantastic! The tiki looks very good. I hope it can be made out at civ-scale. If you have the time and inclination, versions of this unit armed with a taiaha and musket would be very useful.

It's really cool that you are doing some Pasifika units, as there are precious few around.

Top Bottom