making a barbarian civilization

Theov

Deity
Hi,

I was thinking about adding a Barbarian Civilization to the game (the Mongols seemed like a good choice...)

Basically I want them to be at always war with everyone and to build war-only units and improvements.

So I managed to exclude some units and buildings (by setting them at 0% with flavors).

But how:
- Do I make the mongols at always war with the rest of the world. Maybe set the highest aggression level to 100 instead of 5? But how.

I just want them angry and behave like barbarians. No talking allowed... if that's possible.

The first thing you should do is download and play Escape from Zombie Island 2 Complete, released last year by Vuldacon. There, Vuldy has set up a very credible zombie civ at war with every other civ. You can use your editor to poke about in his biq to see how he did it.

One way to do this is found in the Civ Conquests editor under Scenario -> Scenario properties -> Locked Alliance. There you can set a civ to be at war with other civs, or with all of them. This works best when your mod has very few civs, but it has been attempted at a larger scale.

For instance, in the Wild West mod that I'm working on with Vuldacon, we wanted to include a nature civ, called the 'Wild' (it works for popups, as in, 'Wild Wolves are attacking your settlement!'), and set them against each other. To do that, I had to divide the existing civs into factions, then set the nature civ against them all. You can see the result in the attached image.

Attachments

• Everyoneatwar.png
    Everyoneatwar.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 70
But you should be aware that the nations within the same alliance would have to be very friendly towards each other, at least until there is no one else to conquer. Maybe you should just give your Barbarians some hidden nationality units? Then they could be like Indians in the old Sid Meier's Colonization--you could negotiate with them, you could trade with them, but they attacked you once in a while anyway and you could stop that only through the destruction of their settlements.

Make all their units (except workers/settlers/other units with 0 defence) Hidden Nationality.

Even if they're technically at peace with everyone, they'll still be de facto at war with them. :)

Make all their units (except workers/settlers/other units with 0 defence) Hidden Nationality.

Even if they're technically at peace with everyone, they'll still be de facto at war with them. :)
that would mean adding all the units again, only with HN for the Mongols. No thanks.

I could give them a small range of units...

Is there no way to make them at war with everyone? With alliances it means that the whole world is actually in peace with each other except the mongols... that's not the idea. :D

that would mean adding all the units again, only with HN for the Mongols. No thanks.

I could give them a small range of units...

Why not give only the ancient mongol units hidden nationality? In later ages (if they reach that ;) ) they can get "civilized" and use the normal units.

You can also recylce the PRTO entries of the normal ancient units for their Barbarian units. So you do not need to add them to the pediaicon.txt and civilopedia.txt.

Example: The Bandit Horseman is reusing the entry and graphic of the Ancient Cavalry.

Also you can add under the civilisation tap, that the mongol governour will not build wonders or culture.

I don't know if you've considered using the "Immune To Establish Embassies" flag to the Mongol Gov Type, which could be damned useful, but, to the best of my knowledge, the flag doesn't work.

As my "personal epic mod" begins ca. 1071 CE, I give the Mongols a starting city (Karakorum) auto-produce damned near everything, and set them at war, separately, with Russian and China, which seems to mirror history well enough (if you're not using other fixed alliances, through in India as well - something about a massive of skulls comes to mind; indeed, Drift kindly made an "improvement" of this at my request; see attached.)

-Oz

Attachments

• TowerOfSkulls=Drift.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 47
  • skulltowerlarge.gif
    skulltowerlarge.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 36

But think of all the cool Mongol units you can find on the forums/in the file database! ;)

Is there no way to make them at war with everyone? With alliances it means that the whole world is actually in peace with each other except the mongols... that's not the idea. :D

Nope. There are only four alliances, sadly.

Top Bottom