Civ IV runs under Windows ME?

jcikal

The Voice of Reason
Anyone knows if Civ 4 will run under Windows ME? That's the system my brother has and he asked me but I don't really know the answer. In the specs on this site, it doesn't mention operating system, just the reqs for CPU speed, graphics card.

jcikal said:
Anyone knows if Civ 4 will run under Windows ME? That's the system my brother has and he asked me but I don't really know the answer. In the specs on this site, it doesn't mention operating system, just the reqs for CPU speed, graphics card.
If anything runs under ME you should consider yourself lucky. ;)

Seriously, even Microsoft admits ME was a dawg. It's fun to go to their tech events and tease them about it...If I were your brother I might want to think about an upgrade of my OS, as none of the Windows 9x family of OS's are officially supported by MS anymore. (Not just recommending MS products either - Linux or the new Mac's are also good - but I'm not sure Civ4 will port to either yet.)

It's not on Mac OS yet, but I'm sure it'll happen in a few months. By then the Windows crowd will have sorted out the bugs, and worked out how to play Civ4 for me :)

I'm in the same boat...I have windows ME. I've only been able to find any information on what operating systems will run it in two places...and I don't know how reliable they are. But there's a thread somewhere in the section titled something like "will my system run civ 4". The thread has a link in it to test your computer. I failed the test, and it said I needed XP. Also, if you look at the Amazon preorder site it says the platform is "Windows XP/2000". So I'm not too hopeful that it will work...but I think it's strange that it's not included in the offiical specs...

Monker said:
I'm in the same boat...I have windows ME. I've only been able to find any information on what operating systems will run it in two places...and I don't know how reliable they are. But there's a thread somewhere in the section titled something like "will my system run civ 4". The thread has a link in it to test your computer. I failed the test, and it said I needed XP. Also, if you look at the Amazon preorder site it says the platform is "Windows XP/2000". So I'm not too hopeful that it will work...but I think it's strange that it's not included in the offiical specs...
Since MicroSoft does not support any of the 9x OS's anymore; they are 'retired'; I doubt any new software will be written that officially supports them. (9x= Win 95, 98 and ME). Now, that does not mean the software will not run on them; however it will be a crap shoot.

jcikal said:
No, Civ IV will not run on Windows ME. The published specs are Win2K and WinXP only. Also, you need DirectX 9.0C which doesn't run on WinME.

AoE III demo doesn't run on W2k either. This game (published by M$, go figure) is XP only....

However, some amazons (I think .de and .fr) claim it is working with all versions since Win98.

I have a laptop with Win 98SE (which has DirectX 9.0C installed) do you think this will have problems running?

Well I didn't pass the test either. The only thing I need to improve on is my graphics card which I have. I still have to install in into the computer, that's all.

I would like to add that while Civ IV may not be officially supported under ME, that does not mean that it will not run under ME. It costs money for the developers to test and support a game under ME. For that reason they may not officially support it under ME. But its possible that the game will nevertheless run on ME.

Furiey said:
AoE III won't run on ME or 98. As another ME user (I've found it very reliable) I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
It doesn't run on 2k either, and XP is far inferior.

I... do not like... Microsoft.

But yeh, I would personally hold on and wait for the new OS. It'll probably be horrible knowing MS but, meh. They're powerful so whadd'ya gonna do? They'll just pay people to make sure that modern games won't work on your computer otherwise.

They're powerful so whadd'ya gonna do?
Do what I do, use a superior product. If everyone did that then they wouldn't be so powerful. Stop feeding the borg :D

agoodfella said:
I have a laptop with Win 98SE (which has DirectX 9.0C installed) do you think this will have problems running?
Laptop with 98SE sounds like an old laptop. Do you meet the other specs with respect to memory, speed, graphics card?

AlanH said:
Do what I do, use a superior product. If everyone did that then they wouldn't be so powerful. Stop feeding the borg :D
Did you know MS owns a large chunk of Apple? So you are still 'feeding the Borg' when you buy a Mac. ;)

I hoe this thread does not degenerate into an Anti/pro MS flame fest. I have been a MS professional for years - and earn my living because of them. I do not go around saying Macs and Linux and other OS's are bad - the truth is they are not. All are good; MS gets a bad rap because it is so big and used by so many who are not computer guru's. Has it released crap products? Yes - ME was one and they will admit it. Is it trying to get better? Yes - the new Vista OS is very very promising. I am glad that Linux and Macs are putting pressure on MS to do better.

Benjie Quote:
It doesn't run on 2k either, and XP is far inferior.

As far as the comment in about XP being bad - that is simply not true. It is way ahead of 2000 and the 9x operating systems. It is probably the best OS Microsoft has released - if set up properly it will have very few issues. The biggest problem with it is that it is not always 'backward' compatible with old apps - such as games. This was done on purpose - not to make you buy new stuff, but because a huge part of the issues with the 9x family was that they provided backwards compatibility for software written for 16 bit DOS apps - (apps from the 1980's for crying out loud!) and to handle this opened up many security holes and led to code bloat.

Mercade said:
Laptop with 98SE sounds like an old laptop. Do you meet the other specs with respect to memory, speed, graphics card?

Memory - no problem (512 RAM)
Speed - PIII
Graphics Card - 32 (no T&L)

...we'll see...

Top Bottom