Bug Reports

Just remembered to direct bug reports to this thread! There's a bug in Bhruic's code that will now also appear in Rev 1.16. It's a vassalage bug:

"I just accepted a second capitulation, and it caused the first one to be freed. I'm assuming it's supposed to free their vassal if the had one, not mine."

Bhruic has fixed it for any future merges of Rev and Bhruic's work.

Just wondering if someone could help me - Civ crashes whenever I try to use the Revolutions mod with this WBS file

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/11354/EarthWorldv2.rar

Yes it's a version of Rhyse's map and this one http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=241916 that I've been editing to try to get a balanced earth game from the start.
Essentially I just want to use the AIAutoPlay feature to test out the balance (btw is it possible to only load that part of the mod?)

Notes:
- Using 3.13 BtS.
- The WBS file works fine without using any mods.
- Revolution works fine on a random map.
- Just as the game is about to start, it crashes and sends me back to the desktop with 'do you want to send an error report message'

Just remembered to direct bug reports to this thread! There's a bug in Bhruic's code that will now also appear in Rev 1.16. It's a vassalage bug:

"I just accepted a second capitulation, and it caused the first one to be freed. I'm assuming it's supposed to free their vassal if the had one, not mine."

Thanks for the heads up.

Just wondering if someone could help me - Civ crashes whenever I try to use the Revolutions mod with this WBS file

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/11354/EarthWorldv2.rar

Yes it's a version of Rhyse's map and this one http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=241916 that I've been editing to try to get a balanced earth game from the start.
Essentially I just want to use the AIAutoPlay feature to test out the balance (btw is it possible to only load that part of the mod?)

Notes:
- Using 3.13 BtS.
- The WBS file works fine without using any mods.
- Revolution works fine on a random map.
- Just as the game is about to start, it crashes and sends me back to the desktop with 'do you want to send an error report message'

This is because Revolution comes standard with 34 players enabled by default I think. The map needs to define all 34 player slots, even if the last 10 or whatever are declared empty. Open up the the map file with a text editor and check out the first couple sections, one declaring players and one declaring teams, to fix it.

This is because Revolution comes standard with 34 players enabled by default I think. The map needs to define all 34 player slots, even if the last 10 or whatever are declared empty. Open up the the map file with a text editor and check out the first couple sections, one declaring players and one declaring teams, to fix it.

Is there any way to disable the 34 player default in Revolution? Adding extra players to every map I want to test seems kind of... painful.

Yes, I intend to release it standalone for 3.13 very soon, and am happy to create versions for any number of civs. How many would you like?

A stand alone version would be great, thanks. :) I'm actually after it for one scenario with 18 players, and another with 10, though if it's too much trouble you don't have to worry about.

A patched DLL with Bhruric's latest (1.09) added to download page, fixes both this and apparently helps with issues of executive spamming too.

A stand alone version would be great, thanks. :) I'm actually after it for one scenario with 18 players, and another with 10, though if it's too much trouble you don't have to worry about.

As an interim before I get around to posting a standalone version of AutoPlay, there is an 18 civ DLL now on the download page with should work with your maps. I won't create a 10 civ DLL as then you'd have to trim 8 player slots off the map, but it should work fine for that map or any other with <= 18 civs.

Thanks big time again Jdog for the Bhruic update/bug fix. Appreciate you making it available on the fly like this. The link address to the Bhruic update is dead because it's got an extra //http// in it. This is a mid week update after all!
Cheers.

Thanks big time again Jdog for the Bhruic update/bug fix. Appreciate you making it available on the fly like this. The link address to the Bhruic update is dead because it's got an extra //http// in it. This is a mid week update after all!
Cheers.

Fixed ... and you're welcome :)

Jdog since this is the debug forum for revolutions, I'll continue the thread we are having about the mid game crash here.

Thanks for testing my upload. The problem must be pretty obscure again. Could I ask what testing config you tend to use for testing Revolutions ie) number of nations, map size, game speed etc etc? Might be of some interest considering I am pushing the memory limits of the game with 22 nations on a huge map on normal speed, expanding out to 30+ nations later.

On another topic, thanks for the mid week Bhruic update. I can confirm that corporate spamming is under control. Matter of fact I am now spamming exec's as much as the AI (max two exec's in a city idle it seems) because the economic surplus is reprioritised leaving the poor buggers nothing to do but sit behind the desk....If only you could stick a shovel in their hand during those times.
Cheers, enjoy.

Hi there,

Can you do something about the fact that the dynamic civ names are pushing out the civics icons in the diplomatic's window? ( I mean the one where we see the leaderheads) or at least can you explain me how reduce the size of the dynamic civ names?

it's not a real bug, but certain leaders will spend too much in espionage when AI autoplay is activated (only 60% research and 20% espionage for example). is there any chance to disable the spy bar for AI autoplay? i guess not. :confused:

Jdog since this is the debug forum for revolutions, I'll continue the thread we are having about the mid game crash here.

Thanks for testing my upload. The problem must be pretty obscure again. Could I ask what testing config you tend to use for testing Revolutions ie) number of nations, map size, game speed etc etc? Might be of some interest considering I am pushing the memory limits of the game with 22 nations on a huge map on normal speed, expanding out to 30+ nations later.

On another topic, thanks for the mid week Bhruic update. I can confirm that corporate spamming is under control. Matter of fact I am now spamming exec's as much as the AI (max two exec's in a city idle it seems) because the economic surplus is reprioritised leaving the poor buggers nothing to do but sit behind the desk....If only you could stick a shovel in their hand during those times.
Cheers, enjoy.

It varies depending on what I'm trying out, but basically always Standard or Large to provide enough space for new civs. Almost always on Epic unless I'm specifically testing turn rate balance, and usually Prince or Monarch. As for the map type, usually one of Continents, Pangea, Terra or Lakes, though occasionally I try Archipelago just to make sure things behave alright for island heavy maps. For BarbCiv a nearly empty world is best, so I'll start with 1/2 the normal civs and/or do a Terra map. This setup also works well for Revolution, as often some of the original civs will expand too much and fragment. I rarely start with overfull worlds, as small empires are more stable and in the past the AI wouldn't conquer its neighbors very readily, though this is much improved in BTS.

Now you know ...

Hi there,

Can you do something about the fact that the dynamic civ names are pushing out the civics icons in the diplomatic's window? ( I mean the one where we see the leaderheads) or at least can you explain me how reduce the size of the dynamic civ names?

Okay, I'll fix that for the next version. Hadn't noticed, so thanks for posting! If you want to try fixing it more quickly, open DynamicCivNames.py and scroll down to the last function newNameByCivics. There are two things that can be done, the easiest is to shorten some of the longer strings that get added to names like "People's Rep. of ". Second, there are a few places where "len(___) < 20" is used to limit name length, change it to 15 or so.

it's not a real bug, but certain leaders will spend too much in espionage when AI autoplay is activated (only 60% research and 20% espionage for example). is there any chance to disable the spy bar for AI autoplay? i guess not. :confused:

When AutoPlay is on, an AI is running your empire as if it had started the game as an AI. I haven't messed with the AI code at all, so that's just the way the AI would handle the situation it's presented with. Certain leaders have a strong emphasis on espionage, and I have had them steal techs from me (which can be cheaper commerwise than actually researching them ...), so they may be doing a different kind of research ;)

Quick update on the crashing episode with BTS 3.13 and Rev1.16. I've been testing since with no crashes. When I first started Rev1.16 I got hit twice with crashes in succession and falsely concluded it was a definite problem. Whatever it was (calls to the rand() function) it hasn't re-emerged.

Reason why testing Rev1.16 is more important these days is that BTS has added at least two extra strategic layers over Warlords. Judging the effect of the Revolutions mod is no where near as easy as it was for Warlords, where the extra strategic layer of Revolutions was filling a big void in the game.

I've noticed that player feedback has been very slow, I guess it's because the complexity levels of BTS Rev1.16 require a lot more time to digest. I personally will need another couple of months before I can make any comment at all on game play under Revolutions. Only Jdog would have a real feel for this marvellous creation of a concept.

Cheers.

As an interim before I get around to posting a standalone version of AutoPlay, there is an 18 civ DLL now on the download page with should work with your maps. I won't create a 10 civ DLL as then you'd have to trim 8 player slots off the map, but it should work fine for that map or any other with <= 18 civs.

I forgot to say, thanks for this - AutoPlay works fine on both my 18 and 10 player maps. :goodjob:

hope it's easy to fix...I had a really good game going :(

Damn, just the news I didn't want to hear. I had a couple of crashes a while back and concluded it was just a freak event. It's like a kick to the gut when you've spent 45 hours and a month on a game out of a potentially 90 hour game to have it CTD. :sad:

Could I suggest that you play on the next higher level of difficulty suitable for you. That way you get to learn deeper strategies but still loose the game soon enough before the CTD threat emerges:p

My current game was going well on just about 10 hours of play before I heard this news. I'm on Monarch, starting to gain confidence in Jdog's code again. I could run slavery for 1000 years without rebellion;) I could manage discontent by controlling the population growth. Frederick had one revolt under the "The Russian Rebels of Berlin" but switched to a state religion and seemed to be controlling it indicating that the AI was adjusting to Jdog's code. It's was all looking good....so far. A CTD is a horrible thought.

On the bug watch front, it's great the way revolutions messages are now part of the general news event system. :goodjob: however even after trying to turn off all the debug messages, I'm still getting them after exiting the revolutions watch dialog. Only a small issue. Another small issue is that my empire is being reported as medium size in the revolutions watch even when it is only one city in the dark ages. Not that important.

An absolute necessity for this mod is a revolutions watch screen via a button top right. The extra strategic layer of Revolutions needs a dedicated screen just like the other strategic layers (ie espionage, corps). You have to refer to the revolutions watch quite regularly, at least as often as the espionage screen so it's a must for the long term viability of this mod. Ctrl-shift-w just doesn't cut it as a serious UI control.

Cheers.

On the bug watch front, it's great the way revolutions messages are now part of the general news event system. :goodjob: however even after trying to turn off all the debug messages, I'm still getting them after exiting the revolutions watch dialog. Only a small issue. Another small issue is that my empire is being reported as medium size in the revolutions watch even when it is only one city in the dark ages. Not that important.

An absolute necessity for this mod is a revolutions watch screen via a button top right. The extra strategic layer of Revolutions needs a dedicated screen just like the other strategic layers (ie espionage, corps). You have to refer to the revolutions watch quite regularly, at least as often as the espionage screen so it's a must for the long term viability of this mod. Ctrl-shift-w just doesn't cut it as a serious UI control.

Cheers.

I am still getting those debug messages too, and I totally agreed with the watch sceen via a button concept.

Top Bottom