[MOD] More Naval AI

Exactly what I was looking for !!!!
Just missing the CTRL+# function back in the game, and FFH + Tholal's "+patch" is a perfect set.
THANK YOU !! (and thanks to Clearbeard who gave me this link)

EDITED by me:
CTRL+# works with this patch !!!

I've played few archipelago games using your mod, and I have to say I had fun playing it. Mod implanting smarter AI never fails to excite me ;) Appreciate that you took the time to make this.

Exactly what I was looking for !!!!

Cool! Let me know how your game goes!

I've played few archipelago games using your mod, and I have to say I had fun playing it. Mod implanting smarter AI never fails to excite me ;) Appreciate that you took the time to make this.

Excellent to hear! It's a constant work in progress and I plan to continue releasing updates in the future.

Actually, the function CTRL+# works again after installing this "patch" !!!
Soooo happy !!!

I have prepared a new game for this week end, large map, Erebus, Deity, all the civs (20), agressive AI, wildland, last Days, Barbarian world, ragging barbs, and End of winter ...
If Tholal's patch is good, I should be wiped out quickly... let's see...

use Erebuscontinent instead

? I can not find it in [Custom Game], [Map:] ... I have Erebus, Archipelago, balanced, etc, but no Erebuscontinent...
I cannot also find it in the scripts...
If it is an "add-on" somewhere else, please tell me where I can get it as I would like to try FFH2 + Tholal's patch + (decent) Erebus...

Not sure if it's the problem on this modmod (since I am too lazy to delete and reinstall the mod) but I was curious if the Grigori adventurers on this mod gained exp like heroes do without promoting it to another unit. I am pretty sure I had adventurers gaining exp by itself, but now it doesn't gain any exp until I promote it into different unit.

Not sure if it's the problem on this modmod (since I am too lazy to delete and reinstall the mod) but I was curious if the Grigori adventurers on this mod gained exp like heroes do without promoting it to another unit. I am pretty sure I had adventurers gaining exp by itself, but now it doesn't gain any exp until I promote it into different unit.

They do gain experience before being promoted, it's just that the Adventurer unit is a non-combat unit so there aren't any promotions available until it becomes a combat unit by upgrading to another unit type.

relevant screenshot
Spoiler :

I just checked that this symptom does not show up in Wildmana modmod (adventurer does gain exp while still in their original form) so is unsure whether this is problem on original FfH I patched over, or the Naval AI which is why I am hesitating before posting about this on the troubleshooting thread. Is there a way I can do a clean install of the modmod so I can see which is the case?

Random information
*Bootcamped Window XP
*Steam-installed Civilization BtS 3.19 patch
*FfH2 2014n
*FfH2 2014o patch applied
*FfH2 media patch applied
*I did not have this problem when playing Grigori first time (no modmod had been applied)
*I played around with WorldBuilder (tried giving adventurer while playing as orcs) which led me to notice this problem, but as I never had chance to use Grigori after applying this patch is not sure if this is what caused this problem.

I just realized, no message preview option on the quick reply screen? O.O

Edit: Actually, I selected the wrong warrior but you can see what I am trying to say. The hero warrior only gained his first exp in turn 41 ("experience (1/2)" appears on the info screen) Just imagine that the said warrior-adventurer only have 1 exp like the selected warrior on the screenshot, and the adventurer himself did not gain any experience at all while he was in his original form.

Edit2: Hmm I think I'll just erase the entire FfH2 mod and do a reinstall again and check if adventurer works in vanilla. brb

Edit3: So I just clean installed FfH2 and just to see if I hadn't messed something up used WorldBuilder to replicate the condition by giving adventurer to Clan of Ember. Adventurer unit without promotion gained 1 exp per turn, so I think this could possibly be problem with More Naval AI. Can anyone else using this modmod check if they share the same problem as me?

OK. You're right. Adventurers are not gaining experience until they are upgraded. Not sure what happened there but I'll add it to my bug list. Thanks for the report!

Edit: OK. I have a fix for it that will be included with the next build. Thanks again for the bug report!

OK. You're right. Adventurers are not gaining experience until they are upgraded.
It may have nothing to do with your mod. Lastly, I was playing a WildMana game, and I noticed the same thing: my adventurer didn't gain any XP until I made him something more specific.

OK. You're right. Adventurers are not gaining experience until they are upgraded. Not sure what happened there but I'll add it to my bug list. Thanks for the report!

Edit: OK. I have a fix for it that will be included with the next build. Thanks again for the bug report!
Glad to hear that you solved the problem so quickly! I should be the one saying thank you, since Grigori is one of my favourite civilizations, at least flavour-wise ;)

I have just finished a deity game... and yes, I saw SOME sea invasions (3 ?) ... but to be honest, not so much...
The best part is: with the only land access to my country well protected by strong units on a Erebus map, an enemy lunatic was send by ship to go around the blocking city and land behind it. Very smart move, but only 1 lunatic was sent at a time!
Otherwise, during 400 turns of battles, my team mate Basium (who had up to 6 coastal cities) never made a sea invasion in spite our team being at war with 90% of the word located on lands separated by mountains: sea access mandatory... And it was the same for other civs who were at war for 100s turns but located on 2 different blocks with no direct land access.
Actually, there is an improvement, as before no one was creating navies...
What was disturbing was to see Basium building... caravels and of course man Of War, and we were both able to built Queen Of the Line and Galleons (Gunpowder, iron, mithril, for both of us). rather pointless for conveying troops, which he never did.
At deity level, I should see much more sea invasions than just a couple of svartalfar's lunatic... and I should not win as I am really not that good...
U am afraid the Erebus map (not ErebusContinent that I will try now...) does not help, as it is a kind of interior sea and civs do not know well how to deal with it...
I guess it is very tricky to convince a civ to use more this interior sea. As you can not go east/west on this map (borders are out of bounds), I think the civs have less incentive to do sea invasions than on open maps...

I experienced a Python error, when ending the turn, and - I guess - when Orthus comes (I had a python error in 2 games, just before/when Orthus is created)

I have attached the file below: for reproducing the error, just end turn.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-0112.CivBeyondSwordSave
    385 KB · Views: 114
I experienced a Python error, when ending the turn, and - I guess - when Orthus comes (I had a python error in 2 games, just before/when Orthus is created)

OK. I can duplicate the error with your save. Not sure why I haven't run into it myself, but I'll figure it out and get it fixed for the next release.

Any chance you could provide me with one of your late game saves where the AI is at war but not sending any troops overseas?

Any chance you could provide me with one of your late game saves where the AI is at war but not sending any troops overseas?
Sure! My games are always automatically saved each turn, for the last 200 turns, and I have a backup of other games: I have all saved games from turn 1 to final turn 627 (victory with the Altar). exception: a hole from turn 128 to 180.

I have uploaded a zip files containing saved games for turns: 100, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 412 (just before I buy the Mercurian Gates, for allowing me to play as Basium another time...), 450, 500, 550, 600, 626 ... and 43 hours of play... ooops.

My custom settings are:
- Erebus (not ErebusContinent)
- Large
- Deity
- EPIC speed
- all starting civilizations (19), play as Ljosalfar
- Last days
- End of Winter
- Wildland
- Permanent Alliances enabled
- Living World
- Ragging Barbarians
- Barbarian World
- aggressive AI (for being sure they go at war and don't fall sleep at Deity level !...)
- ... and no cheating: initial map "naturally" done, nothing changed, no worldbuilder, no external script other that patch o and tholal's mod.

Kuriotates and Amurites were almost all the game at war against Jonas, like me...
Svartalfar were also almost all the game at war with nations only accessible by sea: never invaded, never saw them doing an invasion.
We can understand that the Kuriotates did nothing as I think they just had settlements on coasts. Amurites are not much warmongers either... but Jonas !! Not exactly the guy you want to see next to you ! He was at war against many nations only accessible by sea (like me), but I never ever saw a single ship cruising in front of my shore...
Unfortunately the Lanum civ was landlocked... it would have been a reference...
Again, I am afraid the Erebus complexity scares away invaders... I should have never survived...

note: the python error did not occur in this game: when Orthus came, it went fine as far as I recall.

tell me if you need more details/save games. Good luck !!!

p.s.: I upload also the initial starting game for anyone who would like to play this game for fun and see how they do... No cheating done: I did not use the worlbuilder or checked how the whole map was, however I regenerated the initial starting map until I found that the starting city got nice resources (in this case, gold). I also got lucky as i got Archery when visiting a tribe (allowing Gilderic). It needs patch 0 and Tholal's mod.

Attachments

• jprc-Erebus-Deity-Ljosalfar-Large-AI agressive-patch 0-Tholal mod.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 86
  • AutoSave_Initial_AD-0001-Ljosalfar-Deity-EREBUS-Large-all civs-agress AI-perm all.CivBeyondSwordSave
    152.4 KB · Views: 81
another python exception (but same message type, about parameter iUnit), when ending turn 112. This time, it does not speak about Orthus...
It is a new game on ErebusContinent map.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-0112.CivBeyondSwordSave
    401.9 KB · Views: 120
Kuriotates and Amurites were almost all the game at war against Jonas, like me...
Svartalfar were also almost all the game at war with nations only accessible by sea: never invaded, never saw them doing an invasion.
We can understand that the Kuriotates did nothing as I think they just had settlements on coasts. Amurites are not much warmongers either... but Jonas !! Not exactly the guy you want to see next to you ! He was at war against many nations only accessible by sea (like me), but I never ever saw a single ship cruising in front of my shore...

I loaded up turn 450 and let the AI autoplay itself for another 125 turns. The Kuriotates and the Amurites were wiped out by the Calabim and Khazad respectively. The Khazad then begin absorbing the Calabim as well to secure their continent for themselves.

Jonas does eventually build some ships, but the Clan is relatively weak, especially when compared to your empire. They only have 5 cities total, so they're being outproduced and out-teched. In the autoplay, they ended up making peace with you and then targeting the Elohim, but due to restricted access and lack of open borders, they never do anything about it. The Svarts send in Rosier leading a stack of 71 Illusionists (plus other misc units) through the pass, destroying the Basium civ, but is defeated by the massive Lsjolfar army.

The AI is often slow to make overseas invasions, preferring land combat if possible, but I do see it happen in my test games (generally using Erebus Continent or any of the default map types) There are a couple of bugs regarding navies which I'll fix in the next version (ships have incorrect defense values (probably why they like Caravels so much), and there's a spot in some temporary code I put in where the AI isn't properly counting it's ships). Hopefully these fixes will help a little.

Overall, the very restricted paths in the Erebus mapscript do seem to be causing some problems for the AI when waging war, particularly when open borders (or the lack thereof) can have such a major effect on the ability to launch an invasion. I'd be interested to hear of your experiences on a more open map.

Thank you for this report!
By 450, things were "on track", my civ well placed on a corner of the map and having to worry only about 1 border, and I did all the job , using a Chess strategy and cleaning pockets 1 after 1, then giving automatically captured cities to my permanent ally so then I could keep my force rolling forward...
I am afraid, because of my strategy of not keeping cities and gifting them immediayely to Basium, he had no time for making a fleet as he had too much job fixing up things in his growing kingdom...
I am also afraid (from 412 to 6xx turns) that things changed too quickly for the AI for adapting its production (it is Epic speed for production...). The time an AI built 1 galleon, I was able to take 2 or 3 cities at least, and perhaps have 1 more vassal. A continuously changing world that was certainly heavy on the AI, testing its ability to change plans...

ErebusContinent (with default settings) does not seem to be a favorable map for naval warfare: what is the point going around a continent when there is always a path by land? ErebusContinent with default settings, does not have the pockets and bottlenecks like on Erebus (and is much more difficult), and there is no real incentive for the AI creating/maintaining/using a naval force, except for recon and meeting new civs...

Just out of curiosity: i wonder how you do for having the AI autoplaying...
Do you mean there is no human player and you can see, like in a "God" mod, everything happening on the map?
I would love to do this sometimes for testing some "what if..." scenarii, and autoreplay some maps I played for learning from the AI...

Top Bottom