The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do good things REALLY come to those who wait?

Many times, I've put off getting or doing certain things expecting it to be somehow more satisfying once I get it, only for it to have terrible quality.

Experimental results don't always come quickly. Especially in biological research. And of course the analogous experiences in everyday life.

Do good things REALLY come to those who wait?

Many times, I've put off getting or doing certain things expecting it to be somehow more satisfying once I get it, only for it to have terrible quality.

Wishful thinking. Sitting around ain't gonna get you anywhere. You need to lead the pack in certain things to get the things you really want. (education, career, etc)

I think the point of the proverb isn't "wait until you get good things", but rather "be the master of your own happiness, but don't expect everything to fall in your hands immediately".

Thanks. However my plans changed, I'm going to a Catholic mass in latin instead. Should be just as interesting.
I guarantee that it will be both less interesting and less boring.

It will be less interesting because it's a friggin Latin mass and everybody on the planet knows what one of those is like, etched into some kind of cultural subconscious even if it's only from Assassin's Creed or The Godfather or some similar crap; you will be - would have been - walking into the Antiochene service more or less without prior expectations, and without the damn script burned into your retinas.

And it will be less boring because it's a friggin mass; there are few organizations like the Catholic Church when it comes to dispensing salvation to large numbers of people in a short amount of time...whereas no Orthodoxals, wherever they stand on the issues of Natures, Beings, Hypostases, Pews, and all that stuff, have managed to figure out the simple trick of a service that is shorter than an hour and a half (three on Easter).

So I've heard of the Ministries of Magic, Truth, Plenty, Peace, Love, and Silly Walks. Are there any other fictional British ministries I should be aware of?

So I've heard of the Ministries of Magic, Truth, Plenty, Peace, Love, and Silly Walks. Are there any other fictional British ministries I should be aware of?
Ministry of Tea Drinking
Ministry of Keeping those Dirty Irish, Scots, Welsh, and People with Cockney Accents Suppressed

Those are the other two that come to mind.

I read somewhere that taking risperidone/risperidol for behavior can lead to serious problems. Is that true? If so, what problems does it cause?

Question first - who is running the CFC college football (American football :rolleyes:) thread(s) this year? Just wondering.

What's a good book for logic?

Sorta needs asking: what kind of logic? Are you trying to learn something specific in philosophy, computer science, etc...

If you're just looking for recreational reading lots of people recommend Godel, Escher, Bach

It's quite a heavy book for that. For recreational reading I'd suggest Smullyan's What is the name of this book? But anyhow, need to know first what you need, madviking. I suppose you mean the most basic logic. I don't know anything by name, but if you select books intended for undergraduates and with something like "elementary" or "introduction" in int's name, that will probably do. Take a look that it doesn't contain too much math-like symbolism, as the title can be confusing. Although it's better to wait if someone gives you a name of some specific book.

It isn't a bad idea to ask the same question here. And whatever you will read, be sure to do the exercises, since otherwise you won't learn a thing.

Astrology . It's based around the relationship between the planets and the constellations right ? But arent the constellations simply like that due to how far the human eye can see ? Given a good enough optic range wouldn't we see stars in every nook and cranny of the night sky ?

Doesnt this debunk astrology on the spot ? What am I missing ?

Astrology . It's based around the relationship between the planets and the constellations right ? But arent the constellations simply like that due to how far the human eye can see ? Given a good enough optic range wouldn't we see stars in every nook and cranny of the night sky ?

Doesnt this debunk astrology on the spot ? What am I missing ?

That there isn't really any logic behind astrology. It's religion, myth, fraud, behind it. Not science.

I read somewhere that taking risperidone/risperidol for behavior can lead to serious problems. Is that true? If so, what problems does it cause?

In my case it caused insomnia, and probably gave me high blood sugar (hyperglycemia). Every one is different though and you need to make sure to report any changes and even have your family doctor do regular blood test related to taking it, so if anything changes, you can stop taking it under a doctors supervision.

Say I wanted to wear a tower of hats. What composition and order of hats would allow for the greatest comfort and stability?

So what did you think?
It was interesting, but I wouldn't like to attend a Latin Mass every Sunday. There was a bit too much of the "stand up, sit down, stand up, kneel, sit down, kneel, now you are saved" atmosphere.

It was interesting, but I wouldn't like to attend a Latin Mass every Sunday. There was a bit too much of the "stand up, sit down, stand up, kneel, sit down, kneel, now you are saved" atmosphere.
Sounds interesting. You should still check out an Orthodox service if you get the chance. Personal convictions aside, there's nothing quite as beautiful as 90 (nearly) continuous minutes of Byzantine Chant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom