JCivED - a toolbox for Civilization

Sadly, this is not easy... Right now, when sabotaging a city, CIV.EXE checks if the randomly selected building ID is not 0 (Palace), and then proceeds with destruction.

I can quite easily change this value to the building ID of City Walls, but then Palace would no longer be protected - in other words, diplomats would be able to destroy Palace (I know it sounds cool, but that's not the topic here :)).

In order to keep Palace protected and also City Walls, I would need more room to insert more code checking for City Walls building ID, which I can't easily find at the moment... So -> not easy.

Hmm, ok thanks for checking that out though :) so i will still only use diplomats to establish embassies, investigate cities and in some cases bribe some units or steal some techs.. everything else seems overpowered. Would it be easy to change the "incite a revolt" function so that the price gets multiplied by 10 or to make it possible only if the city is in disorder already or if the size is not higher than 3 for example?

Hmm, ok thanks for checking that out though :) so i will still only use diplomats to establish embassies, investigate cities and in some cases bribe some units or steal some techs.. everything else seems overpowered. Would it be easy to change the "incite a revolt" function so that the price gets multiplied by 10 or to make it possible only if the city is in disorder already or if the size is not higher than 3 for example?

I had a second look at your request, and I think I found a way to implement "City Walls protection" by pushing bytes around a little bit...

Here is the patch, UNTESTED, let me know what it does for you:

Protects City Walls from sabotage by Diplomat
Code:
        Original bytes: 8B [color=red]C8[/color] B8 01 00 [color=red]8B D9 8A 4E DE D3 E0 8B CA 99[/color] 
         Patched bytes: 8B [color=blue][b]D8[/b][/color] B8 01 00 [color=blue][b]8A 4E DE D3 E0 8B CA 25 7E FF[/b][/color] 
        Offsets:
            EN47401: [b]0x48D2A[/b]
            EN47403: [b]0x4872A[/b]
            EN47404: [b]0x4872A[/b]
            EN47405: [b]0x48F2A[/b]
            EN47501: [b]0x48D2A[/b]
            FR47405: [b]0x4AB4A[/b]

Note that, if it works, more buildings can be protected by tweaking the last 2 bytes "FE FE", which are actually a bitmask of which buildings can be destroyed (bit 1) or not (bit 0): "FE FE" binary equivalent is 1111 1110 1111 1110, which effectively sets Palace and City Walls bits to 0.

Patch for aqueduct is confirmed. I sold an aqueduct from a city of size 20 and it still increased the next turn.

Can I ask for a couple more things?
1) Ability to select land masses, then drag them to where you want them. I have made all of Australia habitable to live on, and if you build a city on the right edge, it goes over the edge of the map, not a good place to build.. I want to select the whole continent and shift it over to the left.
-Perhaps the ability to copy and paste land masses would be nice someday as well.

2) Building a city on modifications won't take off those modifications. For example, you mine hills, and then build a city, the mining disappears.

3) Destroying a city doesn't pillage the square of its modifications (current behavior is to take off irrigation, road, railroad when a city is destroyed).

4) Reset spaceship when it lands (ie, fails) so you can keep rebuilding it.

5) Change Colosseum to make all unhappy people content (previously requested I think, but then I have asked for quite a few things...).

6) Change the pillage command to change terrain type to tundra or arctic instead of removing modifications..

7) Remove city size limit for having a settler add itself to a city.

8) Effect of Shakespeare's Theater is added to all cities upon civ's researching of medicine. Hmm, this sounds like putting an extra incentive on researching technology... And, makes idea #5 unnecessary. :)

9) Last man standing! Disable spaceship. Perhaps this can be achieved by changing the apollo program? The city improvements are enabled by the building of the apollo program...

In the patch request category... would it be possible to turn off instant advice, even when starting a game as chieftain?
You're asking about making this the default state for Chieftain, right -- i.e. so that you never even see the initial advice pop-up on the first turn? (Because you can turn off Advice in the Options menu...). If it's possible, that would be cool, because presumably that would mean you could also reset other 'Options' defaults as well, like instantly setting Sci% to 100%, or switching on 'End of Turn', or switching off the sound.

That last is because my CivDOS always ran really slow -- under both Win98 and WinXP -- if I enabled anything other than 'PC sounds' in the startup menu. I then had to switch off sound in Options, every game, because otherwise the bleeping and buzzing would have driven me -- and my wife -- nuts... :crazyeye: (When I was still playing CivDOS, we were living in very small apartments.)

In the patch request category... would it be possible to turn off instant advice, even when starting a game as chieftain?

It is certainly possible, and quite easy I believe... I'll have a look when I have time.

You're asking about making this the default state for Chieftain, right -- i.e. so that you never even see the initial advice pop-up on the first turn? (Because you can turn off Advice in the Options menu...). If it's possible, that would be cool, because presumably that would mean you could also reset other 'Options' defaults as well, like instantly setting Sci% to 100%, or switching on 'End of Turn', or switching off the sound.

That last is because my CivDOS always ran really slow -- under both Win98 and WinXP -- if I enabled anything other than 'PC sounds' in the startup menu. I then had to switch off sound in Options, every game, because otherwise the bleeping and buzzing would have driven me -- and my wife -- nuts... :crazyeye: (When I was still playing CivDOS, we were living in very small apartments.)

Indeed, it's as simple for End of Turn, Sound off and Automatic Advice (or Palace, Enemy Moves, etc.).
But note that "science rate" and "tax rate" are not the same as "Game options", although, presumably, they are also quite easy to patch.

Is there a listing available
which civ.exe and pic.dat modifications/patches (like ready-made scenarios) are available today

and how-tos ("how to do them most easily") by their creators -
it would be helpful to have an overview what is working and how the results do behave until ...end of game...

additional information if all works with 474.01 ... to ... 474.05 (and other version numbers) would be helpful, too...

Hi, just wondering if there is a place in JCivED to reset a saved game back to where you choose a civ? If not, could you put that in? It's really quite a useful feature.

Thanks, after all of the requests I've made, I believe this one would be appreciated by everyone.

One more? :groucho: Could you tell me where I might change the building of roads on rivers to requiring no tech? I am using/editing an unpacked file... Thanks.

Just wondering.. Can you hardcode the three questions when you enter the game? I know there is a program that will enter it for you, but I want to know if it can be hardcoded instead of having to put the numbers in.

Cool, thanks. How exactly? I mean, where and what bytes do I change (audio/video/mouse, and bridges w/o tech... please)?

Hi everyone,

Nearly one year since the last formal release - I know it's a long time, and hopes can dwindle, but rest assured that there is still activity going on, as slow as it may be.

So here it is, the release of JCivED v0.0.17a.

This release contains everything that happened since last June (2014), which essentially consists in a bunch of CIV.EXE patches, including some proof of concepts (tech "Writing" giving SETI effect, City Walls protected from sabotage, ...), usability hacks (faster fade-in/out, skip credits, skip quizes, etc.) and much anticipated default game settings change and customize EARTH starting positions.

Other than that, a lot happened in the backstage, that you don't really need to know if you're just a user. If you're interested code-wise, the major updates besides a bucket of bug fixes are completion of City Process routine port (the biggest in CIV.EXE) and splitting off of many generic functions to a companion "dd-commons.jar" archive.

For more details, check the first post: JCivED's homepage

Cheers, and have fun with CIV!

Hi, just wondering if there is a place in JCivED to reset a saved game back to where you choose a civ? If not, could you put that in? It's really quite a useful feature.

i would go further:
ingame i would love to have an instant way
to switch as human player to barbarians or any other AI civ,
that would be real fun (for me).

When i was using Windows OS it was easy
with the tools we had all those years
( http://www.civfanatics.com/civ1/downloads )
but with Linux and dosbox...

...i just wonder if it is possible to install (dosbox) / civ / tools in one wine directory.
Maybe this would give it all back to me.

Top Bottom