Preorders, DLC, and Bears oh my!

...and it is unreasonable to expect them to know what every outlet is doing. The D2D deal is most likely their (D2D's) own doing.

I'm not opposed to spending money to download DLC, and so far as that goes, for better or worse Civilization is, at least in my eyes, tailor-made for that (what with the additional nations that can be tossed in as content, let alone gameplay tweaks like new resources, improvements, units, etc.).

But I am unclear about whether or not I will be able, as a brick and mortar diehard, be able to pick up a copy of Civilization V, install it, and then go around collecting all of these DLC perks from Steam and D2D. Both of them are releasing their content on zero day as part of their offers, but can I buy my copy elsewhere and then get the DLC from them (with appropriate remuneration)? Or will I have to wait several months?

...and it is unreasonable to expect them to know what every outlet is doing. The D2D deal is most likely their (D2D's) own doing.

It is unreasonable to expect them to know what content they are providing to each retailer? The retailers can't bundle content that they aren't given access to.

Well, someone has to develop the content for D2D, don't they? ;)

I bet the dev team exactly needs to know which content packs to create, and that putting up such exclusive contracts needs a lot of coordination between 2k, D2D and the dev team.

@2KGreg: Your response to the issue makes me believe you do your job right, my sincere thx! This was really a mess by your marketing.
I just hope it will be clear afterwards what is really exclusive (only ever purchasable through a certain offer) and what is free content also available through other means.

But Greg has already said that the "2 civ +Scenario" DLC will be available to everyone - not just D2D - Firaxis isn't developing this just for them. D2D is choosing to give it away free w/ pre-order, even though they won't have the DLC until later.

Its so people will buy civ5 from them, they only sell a digital copy so they can afford to give dlc and civ 3 as freebies ^>^,

But Greg has already said that the "2 civ +Scenario" DLC will be available to everyone - not just D2D - Firaxis isn't developing this just for them. D2D is choosing to give it away free w/ pre-order, even though they won't have the DLC until later.

Babylon? Map packs? There is more additional stuff out there, and there will probably appear more packages in the future (e.g. Gamestop).

Surely D2D would have arranged for a way of obtaining the keys before bundling it as a pre-order bonus? Seems a little short-sighted to be promising content that they may not be able to easily deliver. Hell, I would assume that they arranged for a way to get Civ5 keys as well.

Seems more like a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

Okay guys, I have some info for you regarding the recent news about the D2D preorder coming with free DLC.

1. The "2 civilizations + scenario" Premium DLC mentioned on the Direct2Drive preorder page will be purchasable separately by anyone. The D2D preorder bonus is that they give it to you for free. I do not know what the price of this DLC will be.

2. I am getting details for you about what the "Cradle of Civilization" Map Packs are that a couple retailers are offering as bonuses. As soon as I know I'll update this post and let you guys know.

3. We're putting together a webpage to detail for you what the different preorder bonuses are from the different retailers. We want you to be able to make an informed choice, and so soon we'll have that page for you to reference to see what all of your options are.

Just out of curiosity, should we expect the webpage before or after the FAQ? :mischief: How's the FAQ coming along anyway?

Just out of curiosity, should we expect the webpage before or after the FAQ? :mischief: How's the FAQ coming along anyway?

I know the FAQ was promised before this particular issue, but I'd rather see this resolved first.

I'm perfectly comfortable with Steam, that's why. That's just me though and all you guys that have worries about Steam are owed some explanation.

How's the FAQ coming along anyway?
Indeed.

On a sidenote, can we get an update on the way 2k plans to release content? If D2D can announce that you get free DLC with a pre-order, I assume that the very fact they can offer pre-orders means that they got that from 2k. Will you tell us if expansions are planned right now? How much DLC are you planning to release? Will this be limited to new leaders, or will the DLC include everything from new terrain, features, units, buildings, techs...

If that's true D2D is offering us a homemade mod. I don't think so.

No, what he is saying is that it might have been D2D's independent initiative to give us keys to the first DLC for free.

The DLC itself is something in the works by 2k/Firaxis (it will be available on Steam), and the retailers are probably given notice of this. So it's possible D2D decided to give that away as a pre-order incentive by themselves.

Greg, I'll repeat here again. What of us early adopters who immediately purchased a copy via Steam? Can we expect a similar level of content as the D2D deal? I'd appreciate some love for supporting Firaxis and 2K games from the word, "Go."

:)

Greg, I'll repeat here again. What of us early adopters who immediately purchased a copy via Steam? Can we expect a similar level of content as the D2D deal? I'd appreciate some love for supporting Firaxis and 2K games from the word, "Go."

:)

You'll get the same content, it's all in Steam. You just won't get the first DLC for free, which is a promotion that D2D is offering.

(the DLC will all be available on Steam)

You'll get the same content, it's all in Steam. You just won't get the first DLC for free, which is a promotion that D2D is offering.

(the DLC will all be available on Steam)

I understand that it will be available. I'm simply noting that I purchased a copy directly on day zero, and I was hoping that I wouldn't be accidentally punished for NOT delaying my purchase.

:p

I understand that it will be available. I'm simply noting that I purchased a copy directly on day zero, and I was hoping that I wouldn't be accidentally punished for NOT delaying my purchase.

:p

Yeah, that's what sucks about not waiting to see what the retailers will offer as an incentive to pre-order.

You can contact Steam support and have them cancel your pre-order, that way you will have another opportunity to decide which site/store is best for you.

Yeah, that's what sucks about not waiting to see what the retailers will offer as an incentive to pre-order.

You can contact Steam support and have them cancel your pre-order, that way you will have another opportunity to decide which site/store is best for you.

I can, or I can ask Greg if their most direct digital distribution deal will receive similar content at similar cost. :D

Still months to go.

I don't understand why anyone would want to preorder a game that is in unlimited supply so long before release anyway. Generosity to the publisher?

i.e. It's not as if Steam is going to run out of stock on release day and say "Sorry, you should have pre-ordered".

Top Bottom