Adjusted UA's for BNW- No New UU's

By the way, I think the Barbary Corsairs ability is not very flattering nor representative of the Ottomans. Any good suggestions for an alternate Ottoman UA?

since we know now that India and Arabia will get a minor adjustment to their UA, what do you think it will be?

will Arabia get more gold or longer range to their caravans? or will it be related to spreading science and religion on trade routes? will they keep +1 gold on city connections? will the bazaar be a caravanissary replacement instead?

Cyon: Oooooh, I LIKE replacing the Caravansary with Bazaar. 'All bonuses to ITR due to resources doubled' would be a good way to change the Bazaar's bonus to something that works with trade routes.

Maybe India will have the 'Unhappiness from number of cities doubled' part of their UA removed.

Cyon: Oooooh, I LIKE replacing the Caravansary with Bazaar. 'All bonuses to ITR due to resources doubled' would be a good way to change the Bazaar's bonus to something that works with trade routes.

That's exactly the same effect as Portugal's UA, so that's not going to happen.

I doubt it will be a change to Bazaars. They are quite good as it is. I suspect the UA may be enhanced. Perhaps with longer trade routes or something.

True that. As I said above though I would worry about America's happiness being so pitiful at all times that you could never conquer a city or enter a golden age. Now that would be some OCC. :p

How about something related to happiness and/or Tourism growth? Perhaps something like: "Growth rate in all cities increased by 10% for every civ the US shares borders with and is happier than" or "Growth rate increased in all cities increased by 10% for each civ the US's Tourism is rated as 'popular' or higher with" or both combined. This sort of UA would be flavorful and interesting I think.

@Birdism - Not ignoring your ideas, just need some time to figure out a perfect solution (we're close!). Hint: I'm trying to think of some way to make a movable capital viable.;)

They should affect empire unhappiness. Race relations in America anyone?

You say that as if it's a uniquely American problem. :lol:

Civ history is whitewashed big time so I can't see them making a penalty UA specifically designed to reflect one of the less savory facets of American history. Nor can I see them making a penalty UA at all, since the complaining about India has made Firaxis decide to change them.

I doubt it will be a change to Bazaars. They are quite good as it is. I suspect the UA may be enhanced. Perhaps with longer trade routes or something.
I could see them moving the Bazaar to be a Caravansary UB. No changes to the actual effect, though.

You say that as if it's a uniquely American problem. :lol:

Haha, not at all!:lol: I simply thought the idea of giving the US a bonus to population growth without the happiness burden inane. Just trying to be nice with my criticism of the proposed idea is all.:)

Civ history is whitewashed big time so I can't see them making a penalty UA specifically designed to reflect one of the less savory facets of American history. Nor can I see them making a penalty UA at all, since the complaining about India has made Firaxis decide to change them.

It's not a penalty UA, it's just that the UA doesn't need to (as you say) whitewash US history by suggesting that the melting pot hasn't generated any happiness problems and should get some free bonus happiness. Thus my suggestion in the post immediately above yours to give the US growth bonuses rather than free population bonuses.

Woops, I misread the post that you quoted and didn't see that he suggested the immigrants give zero unhappiness. Yeeeah that is less than a good idea.

I like your second suggestion, although it would need some testing. Tourism isn't really going to be a factor until the end of the game so I'd have to see it in action to judge if that 10% boost is enough to warrant an entire UA.

The first suggestion doesn't work because it's near impossible for a human player to have more happiness than the AI on higher difficulties. You'd just be making Washington's AI stronger, and who really wants that right? (Insane deity players that's who)

since we know now that India and Arabia will get a minor adjustment to their UA, what do you think it will be?

will Arabia get more gold or longer range to their caravans? or will it be related to spreading science and religion on trade routes? will they keep +1 gold on city connections? will the bazaar be a caravanissary replacement instead?

What information did we hear about them getting a small buff? I must have missed some news.

Edit: Never mind, I saw the latest Q&A.

@Birdism - Not ignoring your ideas, just need some time to figure out a perfect solution (we're close!). Hint: I'm trying to think of some way to make a movable capital viable.;)

I think my idea where the bonuses go to the nearest Hunnic city is a simple yet effective way of emulating that the Huns are "approaching". This is because the strongest Hunnic city will generally be one closest to rival civilizations, whereas their capital (presumably far/isolated), will gradually lose importance.

Actually, I just got another idea that will make the movable capital viable. How about when you decide to keep a conquered city, Attila's Court gets transported to this location, leaving rubble at its original location. It will keep all the buildings, population and bonus stats received from razing other cities. The only stat kept from the conquered city, would be its borders. I have no idea if the game would be able to process all this though.

Also, I think the "improved" great works, isn't that necessary for this UA. I don't know enough about the Huns to say if it works in terms of flavor.

Idea 1: Can have multiple cities
The Huns - Scourge of God
Gain 1 :c5citizen: Population, :c5happy: Happiness, :c5production: Production, :c5science: Science, :c5culture: Culture in your nearest city for each city razed. :c5razing: Raze Cities at double speed. Cannot build Settlers.

Idea 2: Movable capital
Gain 1 :c5citizen: Population, :c5happy: Happiness, and 2 :c5production: Production, :c5science: Science, :c5culture: Culture in your capital for each city razed. :c5razing: Raze Cities at double speed. Retaining a conquered city causes your capital to move to this location. Cannot build Settlers.

I'd love to hear your ideas though :goodjob:

Another idea for a Hun UA would be having them spawn new units when razing cities. They could become a horribly powerful force once they get started, but seriously dependent on that horde as well.

I think the religion pressure on ITR sounds good for them. Increase in religion pressure to others with 20% and decrease of pressure by others with 20%. The numbers could change though.

I think my idea where the bonuses go to the nearest Hunnic city is a simple yet effective way of emulating that the Huns are "approaching". This is because the strongest Hunnic city will generally be one closest to rival civilizations, whereas their capital (presumably far/isolated), will gradually lose importance.

Actually, I just got another idea that will make the movable capital viable. How about when you decide to keep a conquered city, Attila's Court gets transported to this location, leaving rubble at its original location. It will keep all the buildings, population and bonus stats received from razing other cities. The only stat kept from the conquered city, would be its borders. I have no idea if the game would be able to process all this though.

Also, I think the "improved" great works, isn't that necessary for this UA. I don't know enough about the Huns to say if it works in terms of flavor.

Idea 1: Can have multiple cities
Gain 1 :c5citizen: Population, :c5happy: Happiness, :c5production: Production, :c5science: Science, :c5culture: Culture in your nearest city for each city razed. :c5razing: Raze Cities at double speed. Cannot build Settlers.

Idea 2: Movable capital
Gain 1 :c5citizen: Population, :c5happy: Happiness, and 2 :c5production: Production, :c5science: Science, :c5culture: Culture in your capital for each city razed. :c5razing: Raze Cities at double speed. Retaining a conquered city causes your capital to move to this location. Cannot build Settlers.

I'd love to hear your ideas though :goodjob:

I find the Huns bland, but their UA otherwise fine. I don't really care about the UA, it's the UU's I'm worried about.

Though as to you UA suggestion, there is a simple fix:

Gain 1 :c5citizen: Population (if possible to code), :c5happy: 1 Happiness, and 1 :c5production: Production, :c5science: Science, :c5culture: Culture to your Palace for each city razed. :c5razing: Raze Cities at double speed. May build Palace in other cities to move capital. Cannot build Settlers.

Easier to code, probably. Probably. May or may not destroy original capital. (The building could illustrate the transfer from settlement to settlement though IIRC code says Palace is 1 :c5production: only, so it may not be a problem.) There is a whole host of minutae problems, but its implementation would likely be easier than your initial idea once you hash out the details.

Woops, I misread the post that you quoted and didn't see that he suggested the immigrants give zero unhappiness. Yeeeah that is less than a good idea.

I like your second suggestion, although it would need some testing. Tourism isn't really going to be a factor until the end of the game so I'd have to see it in action to judge if that 10% boost is enough to warrant an entire UA.

The first suggestion doesn't work because it's near impossible for a human player to have more happiness than the AI on higher difficulties. You'd just be making Washington's AI stronger, and who really wants that right? (Insane deity players that's who)

Well that's just because there's no incentive to have higher happiness than the AIs - as with every other aspect of the game, I'm sure human ingenuity would be able to overcome the AI handicaps.;) There's also been some speculation that the AI's happiness handicap may have been lowered (many complaints since release).

It is difficult to say whether either idea will work without playing BNW of course, and the numbers are for demonstration purposes only (they can be tweaked obviously).

======

@Birdism, et al:
Here is my new suggestion. Some more good ideas have appeared while I slept! I don't mean to discredit them by suggesting something new, it's just what I came up with overnight. :)

Huns - Scourge of God
May not build settlers or workers. May move :c5capital: capital up to four hexes once every five turns. Get double tile yield from improved tiles for five turns, after which the improvement is pillaged. :c5razing: Raze cities at double speed. Gain +1 :c5citizen: population in capital from captured civilians and each city razed.*

*Numbers can be changed of course.

The concept is an "anti-Venice", a rolling city of doom leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.:mwaha:

I never played America cause of its crappy UA, so Id like to make a suggestion too

America: Land of the free: +2% Population growth, science and culture for every civ you share open borders (instead of OB it could be DoF if to powerful or not at war if to weak, or you could adjust numbers)

caiman: You could certainly do this, but it is actually the reverse (from a flavor perspective) of Manifest Destiny, which in effect was a huge land grab.

There's also the Monroe Doctrine to consider...

Finally, from a gameplay perspective, I am not sure if that actually solves the 'early game issue' which is at the core of America's concerns.

@caiman0815: I'd personally avoid including ideology-related names (or especially abilities!) as America is not guaranteed to be the Land of the Free in each game. They could be the Nazis of North America in one game and the U.S.S.A in another.

Top Bottom