Official System Requirements

I am going to wait for demo before making any decisions. However would the following specs be above recommended. Its a laptop and fairly cheap. Not sure about the processor. i always thought they were a step up from duel core. Now I'm not so sure.

# Intel® Core™ i5-450M (2.4GHz)
# Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
# 4GB (2 X 2GB) 2 DIMM DDR3 1333Mhz
# 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
# 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Intel Core i5-450M, if I recall correctly, is a dual core processor. That should be fine.

Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960.

I bought it last September, and plan on getting the demo to see but never hurts to ask.

Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960.

I bought it last September, and plan on getting the demo to see but never hurts to ask.

Integrated Intel Graphics... and not as good as the one which comes with the i3 processor (which is the minimum requirement).
So no; it doesn't meet the minimum specs.

Savior

Should work just fine. It is about have half way between min and recommended specs.

Just curious how long ago did you buy it.

TheWife's system (she plays a lot of Civ 4) looks like it would be fine if it wasn't for the dual core requirement. Maybe I'll have to give over the laptop.

Posted in another thread, but always good to get a second (third) opinions:

Toshiba laptop (Qosmio) hope it will be able to handle Civ V (even with all the visual goodies turned down):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 / 2 GHz
RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB DDR2 SDRAM - 667 MHz)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT TurboCache
HD: ~20GB

Q8300 2.5GHz
8GB DDR2
Radeon 4350

If the card seems too weak, please suggest one that is not huge as this computer has no room for monster double height 13" long graphics boards.

4350 is slightly above minimal specs. If you can upgrade go for Radeon 5770

The computer thinks it has two logical cores at ~2GHz

If they (devs) considered a p4 to be dual because of the hyperthreading they would have had a p4@3.0ghz as the minimum. Also I don't think the p4 hyperthreading is as good as the hyperthreading on the newer CPUs. I'm sure some people may get by playing on a p4@3.0 if the rest of their hardware is ok, but a p4@2ghz won't.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180, 3GB RAM, Geforce 9600GT 512MB

I think I'm fine, though those system requirements always have something funny about them. My PC would suck at playing Just Cause 2, for instance. But it runs it at full glory.

Still, I will postpone my pre-order until I've tried the demo. Back when Civ4 came out, my laptop blasted the requirements, but lacked the required pixel shaders (I had 1.1 and Civ4 required 1.2 or something) and as a result I couldn't play Civ4, until well after BtS came out when I upgraded. Still, I'm in love with the strategic view and I hope it really is less taxing on my PC than the normal mode.

I'm above the bare minimum but below the recommended...

3 GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Tons of HDD space
Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 (1.83 GHz) 64-bit processor
NVidia GeForce 8400M GS (256 MB, 16 CUDA cores)

I am particularly worried about RAM and the Graphics Card...but it's at or above the minimum sys reqs so I should be fine, hopefully...

That said, this machine is at least 3 years old, so I'm not complaining, it may be time for me to upgrade some of the components...

Like so many others, I had a problem when Civ 4 came out, so I am not going to order until the demo is released to make sure I don't need better hardware.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced: Those GPU Requirements cannot be true. They are downright insane for a turn-based game. They might very well be the highest of any game yet, in any genre.
Consider the Graphics Card Heirarchy Chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,2033-7.html

Those requirements exclude something along the lines of 90% of the world's laptops, and 75% of the world's desktops. If I was on the sales staff at Firaxis, I would murder the programmers for even suggesting these requirements.

Simply put, I do not believe this. If true, Civ 5 will be a huge failure. Deservedly so.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced: Those GPU Requirements cannot be true. They are downright insane for a turn-based game. They might very well be the highest of any game yet, in any genre.
Consider the Graphics Card Heirarchy Chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,2033-7.html

Those requirements exclude something along the lines of 90% of the world's laptops, and 75% of the world's desktops. If I was on the sales staff at Firaxis, I would murder the programmers for even suggesting these requirements.

Simply put, I do not believe this. If true, Civ 5 will be a huge failure. Deservedly so.

This game is made for the (hard core) civ fans and i expect most of them to at least meet the minimum specs.

Although I too was surprised about the recommended graphics card, 4800 series, damn. I just have to wait and see how my 3870 can handle it.

Uhm, can a mod close this thread or merge it with the real official systems spec thread. I cannot begin to count how many "is my computer/ laptop/ processor graphics card good enough" type threads.

Edit: if this post now seems out of place, it's because a mod did move the thread into 2K Greg's.

Dont look only at the number of ghz, it is not as important as it once was (still important though). A modern CPU could have a lower clockspeed than an P4 and still be much faster. It can basically do more stuff each clockcycle than an old CPU. I doubt that Pentium 4:s will run the game well, and the same thing goes for integrated intel graphics. However there is plenty of fairly cheap computers out there that will be able to run civ5 very well. But if you buy a new computer make sure it gots a dedicated videocard. And buy the new generation of CPU:s either something from intel with a "i" infront (i3,i5,i7) or a AMD phenom II.

Top Bottom