Civ 5 PC Specs

nightwolf199

Chieftain
I was wondering whether anyone could give me some PC specifications they know will be able to run huge map games on maximum graphics as I'm looking to upgrade. Any responses are greatly appreciated thanks.

Recommended on Steam, don't know what this is recommended for. maybe it's standard games.

Recommended:

Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11
Hard Drive: 8 GB Free
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

I have a much better system than this and it runs fine.

A NASA super computer?

They don't have the money for a Civ running computer, too expensive. :)

ROFL. Just out of curiosity, does Civ use all 4 of your cores for that nice game experience? I know on mine, if I have all the settings checked, the quad-cores hum along nicely around mid-game. Just IMO though, if a SP game needs 4+ cores just to get everything pretty then it's probably time for me to re-think my game purchases.

The way software is designed, it will either take advantage of all processors or else stay single threaded.

The OS will take care of details such as how many processors does the machine actually have along with which one is least busy. A multi-threaded app simply attempts to spawn new worker threads as needed.

A single threaded app (that would be Civ IV and all previous games in the series) doesn't spawn any helper threads. For these apps, if you have a duel-core, the point of it is one processor for Windows and the other for your game.

Recommended on Steam, don't know what this is recommended for. maybe it's standard games.

These are "just" the official recommended specs.
In general no PC can really good handle Civ5 in the endgame, but still going for more is better (just the question at which point it's a waste of money).

ROFL. Just out of curiosity, does Civ use all 4 of your cores for that nice game experience? I know on mine, if I have all the settings checked, the quad-cores hum along nicely around mid-game.

According to some tests (somewhere here within the forum), the game uses at max. 2 cores full, with only a bit work on the others.
(could be wrong though)

These are "just" the official recommended specs.
In general no PC can really good handle Civ5 in the endgame, but still going for more is better (just the question at which point it's a waste of money).

According to some tests (somewhere here within the forum), the game uses at max. 2 cores full, with only a bit work on the others.
(could be wrong though)

Uh huh, try telling Lemon that :mischief:. As for me, I just upgraded to a quad, and max settings use all 4.

Top Bottom