Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Yes, I generally like more food then a plains cow and a dye.

Ahh. It makes sense now. I've seen so much negativity about Plains Cows over the years but never really seen an issue with it. I didn't realise it could take the place of another food resource.

Thanks for clearing it up. :)

Especially when they toss in a group of fur that you will never be able to work since you have no food.

The problem is that higher levels play is rather dependent on whipping for a fast start. Therefore food resources are extremely important and with only one 4-food-tile you can pretty much forget about whipping. As there are not infrequent start rolls with 4-5 5-food-tiles (at least if one counts seafood with lighthouse) a start with only one decent or two mediocre resources is quite bad (and the normalizer should know better).

It's not a deity thing, the too slow regrowth due to lack of food will certainly show on monarch or lower, if you want to use slavery.

Calendar resources are "too late" for the decisive early phase. Gold, gems or ivory is MUCH better than dye, because it will give happiness far earlier (and in the case of precious metals speed up your early research by 50-100% and give another early happy citizen with a forge a building you will build anyway in most cities)
Especially with FIN a riverside spice, banana, sugar is a decent tile before calendar (put a farm there, better than dry rice!), but silk and dye are useless in the early game.

I'll agree with every point in that post.

And it's very very rare that I"ll settle a city for the sole reason of accessing a fur.

Do AI missionaries have the same chance of failure as the player or do they always spread with success? I can't seem to recall a missionary not succeeding. Btw sorry if this as been asked before, but I couldn't find this question anywhere on the forum.

Do AI missionaries have the same chance of failure as the player or do they always spread with success? I can't seem to recall a missionary not succeeding. Btw sorry if this as been asked before, but I couldn't find this question anywhere on the forum.

Same chance, you just don't notice the failures.

Can anyone tell me what "UU" and other things similar are abbreviated for? I've been seeing people use them in other forums but I've never known what they were.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

UU = Unique Unit
UB = Unique Building

Each civilization in has one UB and one UU in BTS. Which other "similar" abbreviations are you asking about?

On the civfanatics front page down and off to the right under miscellaneous you will find a link to civ acronyms.

United States or Universal Suffrage.

1. I walked straight into the the other guys capital with a bunch of bowman (open borders were agreed) and nobody seems to care. Same for other cities. My warriors just hang around in the city. And the city stays with the other guy.

2. Unit selection doesn't seem to work. If I click a unit on the F5 screen I get a blinking dot on the map but a different unit than the selected.
3. On the F4 screen none of the options (contact, war, etc.) is selectable. Nothing happens when clicked. I really like this game, but currently I don't feel it is playable for me.

Help greatly appreciated. I would love so much to play this game but can't at the moment.

As for #1; the point of an open boarder (OB) agreement is that you can move your units through the other's territory. If you want to capture their cities, you have to declare war. Any of your units in their territory at the moment of war declaration will be transported outside their territory (and any of their units in your territory will similarly be transported out.)

And as for #3, as I recall, the diplomacy screen (I think that's the F4 screen) just shows you the current status'. To initiate diplomatic contact, click on the civilization's name on the main screen.

#2: To my knowledge you can't select units directly from the military advisor, tough you can click on the blinking dot to move the camera to it.

#3: I assume you are referring to the key describing which color of the lines connecting the leaderheads means what relationship exists between them. To actually conduct diplomacy you can either left-click on a leader's name on the scoreboard or right-click on their heads' pictures in the diplomatic advisor. While the F4 screen does allow some actions to be taken, mostly canceling deals, its primary purpose is to observe and track international relations and to look up who would be willing to trade resources, money or techs. The actual negotiating is done on a leader to leader basis.

@bbass192
I'm asuming your playing Beyond The Sword rather than vanilla civ 4 here.

As Lennier mentioned on point 1, Open Borders allows free movement through territory, including cities.

On 2 the military screen isn't for selecting units, selecting them there just shows their locations. And it could only work this way as you can only select multiple units (to use) if they are on a single tile.
You can use it to quickly move to a units location after you find them though by clicking on the relevant flashing dot on the map which closes the military screen and takes you there.
The actual selection of units can only be done on the normal map screen by clicking on them, a few useful notes though is double clicking a stack selects all units on that tile, shift clicking units listed adds them to the selected group and control clicking a unit selects all units of that type on the tile.

On 3 I will expand on what Lennier says about the current status.
The F4 diplo screen shows active agreements between civs, basically its a map of world diplomacy. The list of agreements shown on the bottom left is simply a key to see what the coloured lines between civs mean, e.g. a white line means they have met while a red on means the two civs are at war.
While it initially starts by showing the agreements between you and everyoine else you can shift the focus by clicking another leader to see their agreements with other AIS.

To actually contact them from the f4 screen you have to right click on their leader picture, or normally, as Lennier said, click on their name in the scoreboard.
As a shortcut to declare war alt+leftclick their name on the scoreboard

Top Bottom