Michigan vs. App State.

Weird Piggy

Chieftain
I know there is a College Football thread. This story deserves it's own thread. According to Lou Holtz it's the greatest upset ever.

App. State 34 - Mich 32

Discuss.

As an OSU fan, I'm thinking pleasedontfirecarr.com

On a more serious note, what do people think of giving App State a kick upstairs to the big leagues? They've been winning the I-AA championship for 2 years now too.

It doesn't work that way. First of all, there's currently an NCAA-imposed moratorium in place on movement from I-AA to I-A. But that aside, I don't know that Appalachian State has any interest in moving to I-A . . .

The question really isn't whether App State likes being a big fish in the small pond, but whether others are going to let them...

But whats this moratorium? Why was it imposed, when will it end, etc...

'Others' have no choice. A move from I-AA to I-A (or vice versa*) must be initiated by the school in question.

It's a four-year moratorium imposed basically out of fear that I-A is getting too big.

*EDIT: A school can be demoted against its will.

Appalachian State does not have the stadium requirements either. I think you have to have 15,000 capacity.

Its very expensive, schools have to be committed to spending a lot more on their AD.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get an invitation though. Appy state and Youngstown state have been rumored to be making the jump next (and I thought western Kentucky just did, or is about to as well)

Its very expensive, schools have to be committed to spending a lot more on their AD.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get an invitation though. Appy state and Youngstown state have been rumored to be making the jump next (and I thought western Kentucky just did, or is about to as well)

Western Kentucky is an independent right now.

They need to demote Florida International and Florida Atlantic and bring in Youngstown and Appalachian. The only complication there is that neither of them fit into the Sun Belt geographically....

I think an opening week opponent for UM in 2008 has been found...

Picture courtesy of spartantailgate.com

Western Kentucky is an independent right now.

They need to demote Florida International and Florida Atlantic and bring in Youngstown and Appalachian. The only complication there is that neither of them fit into the Sun Belt geographically....

FIU is a huge school, and happens to be in south florida, where recruits grow on trees. The school also made a pretty big investment in its football program, so they're a keeper. Dont know about FAU.

I say kick Eastern Michigan and Temple out of the MAC, and bring in Youngstown St. Appy state can go into the sunbelt I guess too. Idaho could go d1AA and nobody would notice too.

You guys realize there are sports other than football to be considered in this, too?

You guys realize there are sports other than football to be considered in this, too?

Yea, and? :p

@downtown, FIU is huge but their attendance and performance is not. It doesn't even look like it's progressing. Temple is much the same, but they have been D1 a lot longer and are in a slightly more relevant conference.

Perhaps FAU and Eastern Michigan then. Youngstown goes to MAC, Appy goes to Sun Belt. So I agree with you there.

Idaho just got a big game with USC. They got it handed to them, but they are making baby steps at least :p

Not really, if they dont join a conference. These schools are already D1A in other spors. DIAA is just a football designation.

Appalachian State does not have the stadium requirements either. I think you have to have 15,000 capacity.

You're supposed to average 15,000 / game, IIRC. Or maybe it was just stadium size. I know 15,000 is some requirement! App State's stadium seats 16,000 and holds ~20,000. I looked it up :)

i heckled a guy with a michigan shirt on last night. I pointed and laughed and said "you lost to Appalachian State! WTF!" I love this.

You're supposed to average 15,000 / game, IIRC. Or maybe it was just stadium size. I know 15,000 is some requirement! App State's stadium seats 16,000 and holds ~20,000. I looked it up :)

Ahh, but then how the hell does FAU and FIU stay in the upper division with their awful attendance? :p Probably some weird, convulated rule from the NCAA.

i heckled a guy with a michigan shirt on last night. I pointed and laughed and said "you lost to Appalachian State! WTF!" I love this.

I've always got a lot of respect for the fan who will wear the team colors the day after a big loss.

Ahh, but then how the hell does FAU and FIU stay in the upper division with their awful attendance? :p Probably some weird, convulated rule from the NCAA.

I'd imagine it's something to do with actual attendance vs. paid attendance or something along those lines.

And to explain WKU, the moratorium does not apply to any team which has already begun the "official" process of moving to a new division. There are currently 20 such teams.

Top Bottom