I want to start in North America

Pookerbacca

Chieftain
I 've been trying to start new single player games with the maps that come with the game, but the Western Hemisphere maps always start me off the coast of Brazil and the Northwest Passage Map starts me off the tundra of Newfoundland.

I've scanned the modded maps in this forum, like Age of Discovery etc, but even there I see comments that you still start near Brazil.

Is it too much to ask that a game with the name "Colonization", that is based around declaring Independence and defeating a despotic European King, give you some default option or map that allows you to start off the game near New England or the greater United States? Sheeesh....I might be forced to go back to the 1994 version, at least there I could name my cities New York, Boston etc...without having to place them in the Amazon :rolleyes:

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. One question though....looking at the patch notes in your link, it does not seem that fixing the starting position of your ship is part of the "fixes". Can anyone confirm that the patch will allow me a chance to start off the coast of the US and not Brazil every single time?

Thanks again.

Supr49er would be thinking of our PatchMod, not the unofficial patch. Our PatchMod (patch + much more) has the starting location fixes. :)

MAPS:
* AI start locs no longer in order from top to bottom of map (randomised).
* Humans no longer start in the same start loc.
* Start locations on random maps spread out more (increased iRange index from 10 to 40 in CvPlayer::startingPlotRange()).

Link in signature.

This really annoyed me, really.

I mean how hard can it be to pick up a history book?

Or even have a look at the first game that was made?

But noooo.

Utter noobs.

TBH I gave up on the maps that come with the game. I've tried editing it in the WB, but then the AI does stupid things and the resources are always in the same place and often on plots that do not support the bonus.

Yes, if you edit in the world builder the best thing is to go ahead and start a game on which ever map you want to use then open the WB one your first turn before doing anything and found a settlement for each civ, place a unit or two with a ship next to your city and then delete the original ships from the map. You can do this every time you start a new game or save the WB file to your public maps folder for futre use. Hope this helps.

p.s. I'm really surprised that more of this wasn't caught during beta. The fact that Dale posted a mod/patch the day after the game was realeased (he was on the beta team) show that firaxis/take2 didn't take game play issues in the beta too seriously.

^ quoted for truth

Supr49er would be thinking of our PatchMod, not the unofficial patch. Our PatchMod (patch + much more) has the starting location fixes. :)

Link in signature.

Thanks - the PatchMod does indeed allow for randow starts in North America. It works great, except for the occasional crash into Vista, but I appreciate your efforts!

Top Bottom