How can it be done?

JoeCivFan

Warlord
I have played five, maybe six games and the end result is always the same. In only one game was I ever actually able to declare independence from my king. The games just aren't long enough. Finally when I played a marathon game, I was able to declare independence. But it was no more than 6 turns after I did declare my independence that my king had taken over all of my cities. How is it even possible to in a normal length game to declare independence and have an army big enough to fight the king?

I have played five, maybe six games and the end result is always the same. In only one game was I ever actually able to declare independence from my king. The games just aren't long enough. Finally when I played a marathon game, I was able to declare independence. But it was no more than 6 turns after I did declare my independence that my king had taken over all of my cities. How is it even possible to in a normal length game to declare independence and have an army big enough to fight the king?

Out of curiosity, what difficulty level are you playing at?

After several trial and error runs, I'm now at the point where I can win a normal length game at the easiest level every time without cheating, and am ready to "graduate" on to the next level of difficulty. This game definitely isn't easy!

I am playing on the second level of difficulty. I dont remember what its called. The one game where I was able to manage to declare independence before time ran out was on the easiest level though.

It sounds to me as though you're not building your liberty early enough. In a normal 300 turn game, you can't afford to wait much beyond turn 170-180 (or in that neighborhood) to start ringing the bells.

And once you do decide to crank up the liberty, I recommend doing it fast. Load up all your towns with statesmen at the same time, even better if you have elder statesmen. Printing presses, newspapers, and some political Founding Fathers really help to speed up the rush.

The big button will move slowly at first, but eventually it becomes a snowball effect and the last 15-20% will come fast.

Well, there is no use in trying to make bells and declare independence if you have no soldiers to defend you, because when the kings forces come, there are tons of them!

Very true. When it comes to dealing with the REF, I have just three words: dragoons, dragoons, dragoons. In my opinion, cannons are almost worthless, but it's good to have a couple just in case he takes one of your towns to help take it back. A couple of soldiers for defense helps as well.

In order to make all the dragoons you need, you obviously need to buy and make lots and lots of guns and horses. Also, it's absolutely critical that you attack his forces as soon as they land. If you let them start attacking your towns with their artillery, you'll get slaughtered. I can't remember his name, but one of my favorite Founders is the one that gives your dragoons +1 movement; the extra mobility is huge.

Top Bottom