Can City-States build wonders?

I tried a random map type, random map size game over the weekend, playing as France, and ideally going for a culture-by-conquest win. I was also trying to prove that Honor isn't useless (though playing as Ethiopia would have been a little better for that).

Anyway, the "by conquest" part of that didn't really work out, since the random map I got turned out to be a duel against Sweden. We were at peace for most of the game, until really late, when he came at me with his 10x stronger military. I managed to hold off long enough to fill my trees and complete the Utopia Project, but that's beside the point.

Several times during this game, after I'd discovered Sweden but before unveiling the whole map, I got wonder notifications, saying, "X Wonder has been completed in a faraway land." The only thing I can think of is that they were getting built in City-States I hadn't found yet, though in my experience, CS's don't build wonders.

Any ideas what this is?

He built it in a city you don't see. You will only find out who built the the wonder if you ca see the actual city it has been built in.

You haven't met "X" yet
I'd met the only other civ in the game, Sweden.
He built it in a city you don't see. You will only find out who built the the wonder if you ca see the actual city it has been built in.
Really? I've gotten this notification after meeting just a single scout from another civ, without ever laying eyes on their territory. Are the rules for this different in Duel maps?

Top Bottom