Guess the New Civs

Louis XXIV

Le Roi Soleil
OK, according to the German article, there will be 9 new Civs.

We know 5:
Netherlands
Mayans
Celts
Byzantines (according to a screenshot)
Carthage (according to the same article)

Any thoughts for the other four?

A few thoughts based on past games:

Here are Civs that have appeared in several series but have yet to appear:
* Portugal
* Zulu
* Sumerians

Here are a few that appeared once and might appear again:
* Ethiopia
* Hittites
* Sioux

There are a few I do not believe will be in this game:
* Mali (too close to Songhai)
* Khmer (too close to Siam)
* Native Americans (preempted by Iroquois)
* Holy Roman Empire (preempted by Germany having the Landsknecht, which indicates they represent the Empire)
* Austria

A few ideas that have never been in a Civ game before. Some are City-States or I suspect will be a City-State.
* Moors
* Indonesia
* Poland (City-State as Warsaw)
* Venice (City-State as, well, Venice)
* Pueblos
* Israel (likely to be a religious City-State as Jerusalem)
* Sweden (I forget if Stockholm was given to Denmark)
* Assyrians (the Babylonians have stolen many of their cities and it would make for a crowded map, but it's worth mentioning them).

There is a screenshot that shows Lisbon is a City-State, which makes me believe that Portugal is not in. I'll reserve my thoughts for my list until after others have given their thoughts.

I will be shocked if there are no Zulu.

A Civ where there is no chance of a Zulu tank popping up on my shore when I am researching Chivalry isn't a Civ game...

anandus speculated at the 2K forums was that the Huns might be included, given Tengriism and the fall or Rome scenario.

I don't think any other Native American civs will make it as I think the Iroquois will be the lone representation of Native Americans.

I'd guess Zulu (or maybe Ethiopia), Sumerians, Hittites, and I think the Moors are an interesting possibility.

I added the Moors (and Jews) into Civ3, gave them a Saracen UU - it was a pretty cool Civ.

Huns are another good guess.

anandus speculated at the 2K forums was that the Huns might be included, given Tengriism and the fall or Rome scenario.

Is a Fall of Rome scenario confirmed? They added two Rise of Rome era Civs, so I just want to check.

Tengriism is Mongolian, not Hunnic. Very little is known about their religious practices (aside from Attila thinking it was awesome that people called him "The Scourge of God.").

I hope they don't add the Huns, but I'm biased in this regard. They are pretty close to the exactly what you think of as roving hordes of barbarians. They had very little lasting impact aside from stories of epic fights. Although, in that regard, I suppose the Zulu for Shaka's sake is similar. But I'd prefer Ethiopia, the Moors, and even the Kongolese Empire over the Zulu.

ETA: If they add the Sumerians and Hittites, do you think they'll reuse the units from that scenario?

I'll also add the Assyrians to my idle speculation above.

I don't think any other Native American civs will make it as I think the Iroquois will be the lone representation of Native Americans.

I'd guess this too, and also not Hittites and Sumerians, either, or, not both. Regionally seen they're too close.

I'd also bet on Poland. They might fit into the medieval scenario.

OK. If another is exploring the Middle Ages (I'm taking "explore" in a general sense and not directly related to the age of exploration) there's an argument for the Moors. That being said, not necessarily. Byzantine might be sufficient instead.

Still, there's an argument that they add more than one Civ for a scenario (Victorian Sci Fi excepted).
Fall of Rome could be: Byzantines, Celts, and Huns (possibly).
Medieval could be: Byzantines, Moors, and maybe Poland (I'm stretching here).

Ok so 4 more civs?

We are getting the Maya and an African Civ, but will they be the only civs from either continent?

I think there is a great chance that at least one more will be a civ in Africa: Kongo/Ethiopia are the ones I believe have the highest chance.

So that puts it at 6.

South America still only has one civ in all of its incarnations of civ. I think seeing how we have gotten some new interesting civs this civ we may finally get our appropriate response here.

Portugal may not have made it, but I could see a wild card in South America in either the Chachapoya (The Enemy of the Inca for hundreds of years, created massive cities, ran a trade empire, created a ton of practices for the rest of the Andes including the Inca which were borrowed after. In a sense you could compare the Chachapoya to the Maya and the Inca to the Aztecs in senses of fame and importance in the region).

2 other wild cards in S. America: Gran Colombia and Brazil. Brazil has the most chance of any nation state of getting in (but that isn't too high either). Gran Colombia another wildcard is widely representative and would rep a ton of S. America.

So I think that is slot #7.

Then I think we will get at least one more traditional civ:

#8 Holy Roman Empire/Sumeria/Zulu/etc.

#9 I don't know. I am sure there are other traditional civs I am forgeting I am sure, but another wild card is not out of the realm of possibility.

Huns/Mahajpahit/Inuit/Pueblo/Seminoles/Sioux/Morocco/Israel (But I think Jerusalem will be a city state).

My hopes:
Tibet, Majahapit/Indonesia, a South American civ, and the Kongo/Ethiopia

My guesses:
Kongo/Ethiopia, a(n) SE/East Asian civ, a Middle Eastern civ, and a West Asian civ (I think/hope they've announced all of the European/Mediterranean civs already)

Portugal, Brazil, Austria-Hungary, and Ethiopia.

Would finish the Major European(Imperial) Powers, add another African Civilization and South America.

I think they almost certainly have announced them all. The only ones left as possibilities are Civs that are very close to others (Sweden, Austria, Holy Roman Empire), existing City-States that have never been a Civ before (Poland, Venice, Belgium), or a new City-State (Portugal). There's a slim chance, but I don't see it as likely.

I added Austria to the list, though, just to be thorough.

ETA: Camikaze, no. But the Celts are almost certainly going to have Boudica based on the concept art for their leader being female.

I would be astonished if they made Portugal a City-State...

Looking at the list of potentials higher up the post, I dont really see too many other options besides throwing in some more Americans without overlap of civs:

-Mesopotamia/Middle East- Id be quite surprised if we see more than one more civ since we already have quite a few that occupy that area and are getting Carthage and the Byzantines. Sumerians or Hittites had their chances to be put in and were purposefully left out. Assyrians would be my best bet, but as mentioned above, there'd be some serious city overlap. I think the Hebrews would be an interesting addition, specifically with the addition of religion. Could serve as a "religious civ".
-Africa- Id expect to see one or two more African civs (Zulu/Ethiopia) mainly because the Zulu are always included and Africa, Carthage not counting, has quite a numerical gap so far as being compared to the other continents.
-Europe- Maybe one more European, but Im not sure what it would be. Portugal seems unlikely to me, leaving only the Swiss in Western/Central Europe, and then the various Eastern European cultures. Don't see the Huns being added, we already have a pillaging, horseback driven Civ. I could see Poland or Austria-Hungary potentially.
-Oceania- Was pretty much entirely covered by the Polynesians.
-Australia- Seems unlikely they'd add the Aborigines. But Ive guessed wrong plenty of times.
-Asia- I have a hard time coming up with any left for Asia. Maybe Vietnam, which would be cool, or potentially Tibet? If either, I doubt both.

Knowing that we have 5 of the 9 already, and can count on at least the Zulu and potentially another African, this potentially leaves 1-2 more Civs that have to be placed in the Americas. Id put money on the Americas for at least one more. They could use the Sioux, though they didnt normally have "cities" or potentially a Southwestern culture like the Apache, Navajo, or Pueblo as noted above. Just saying, there has not been a "desert civ" yet. Sorry for length, just my two cents.

Seeing as Lisbon is a city-state (check the panels in either the religion or espionage screenshots), I think it's fairly safe to see Portugal isn't coming, at least with this expansion.

Seoul was a City State as well until the DLC.

Top Bottom