What's this Top 10% of Civs I hear about?

Sequm

Chieftain
Ok... I've heard people mentioning civs that are "Top Ten %" and stuff. What civs are those?

Obviously Inca is one :p

India
'Murica
Germany
Denmark
Ottomans
Celts

Celts and Ottomans I often see considered bad, but I don't see why. Ottomans Prize Ships are great (granted enemy civs aren't too great at naval combat so it's a bit of an overkill and not insanely useful), and Janissaries are insane.

Celts have a great Spearman replacement, a pretty much guaranteed first pantheon and a much faster religion, and +3 happiness opera house replacement.

No, seriously haha :p Which ones are the "best"?

There are some that are just considered good overall, like Arabia, Austria, Babylon, but it really comes down to the situation. That's why tier lists have some truth to them, but fall short in practice.

For example, teams bad on a Pangaea map could excel on continents or water map. Such as the Ottomans or Danes.

The Inca are sometimes not rated that well because they rely on hills and the UU can seem meh. But put them in a large hilly area and the Incas are gods. With only hills near their capital, most of the Uniques are gone.

That's why it's really hard, for me anyways, to give best teams. The best I could do is give a team that in most scenarios would still be strong.

What most people call "top tier" are civs that promote or do very well defending a science victory.

Such as:
Babylon - free GS, earn them 50% faster, better walls and archers keep you safe for a while
Korea - free tech boost (RA) every science building, H'wacha and Turtle Boat good for medieval safety
Inca - hill bias means more :c5production:, and with Terrace farms you can have more :c5food: on those tiles as well.
Maya - Free GP every baktun, and shrine UB gives more :c5faith: as well as :c5science:. Don't need to research archery in early game for defense and archer UU is cheaper.
Arabia - Desert start means desert folklore as a pantheon, camel archers will wreck enemy armies in the medieval and renaissance. More religious pressure from trade routes is pretty good, too.

Most of the other civs are really situational, but these civs can deal with a lot more variability.

Here is the most accurate G&K tierlist:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=488701

Maybe we can add the new civs into that list, rather than creating a new one.

And even that one has a few points that make one roll their eyes. Like Sweden on the bottom tier...

Thing is, aside from a few standout cases (Korea, Maya, Babylon, China and the Inca on the positive side and Germany, America, Japan and India on the negative side) it's generally agreed that most civs are rather well balanced, even if some of them do better on more maps then others. To chop them up in tiers however is just not fitting.

I would definitely consider the Aztecs top tier for the simple fact that that their UA, UB and UU have such great synergy. Jaguars are very good at scouting and killing barbs, Floating Gardens give an awesome growth boost and the culture from Sacrificial Captives allows you to finish Tradition long before you even have the option to research Aqueducts. I think thy are easily the best civ for a tall approach,

I might point out that a side benefit of the Aztec UA in BNW is that they have very high defensive Culture, if you're going for a Culture Victory.

I might point out that a side benefit of the Aztec UA in BNW is that they have very high defensive Culture, if you're going for a Culture Victory.

Not really. The total culture you gain from killing is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, especially once barbarians disappear (although the higher frequency of barbarian attacks is an indirect buff for the Aztecs). The real advantage is that you'll gain your first five or six policies much faster than other civs.

I dont know about 10%, but here is my top 5 Civs:

Shoshone
Maya
Poland
Babylon
Korea

They are good Civs no matter what. Poland has probably the best UA in the game. As Poland you can play how ever you want, its UA is always useful.

Ctrl+F: Poland not found

Their UA is amongst the best in the game (arguably it is the best in the game).

Their UU is very strong AND it looks cool.

And their UB is also very good and it has good synergy with their UU.

They can go for any victory type because there is not a victory type in town where free social policies aren't useful. They are probably my favourite new civ.

I'd say the top ones in this expansion are Poland (Ducal Stables are great as +2 prod +1 gold for horse/sheep/cow with no maintenance is a sick thing. Winger Hussar seems awesome. UA is arguably the best one in the game, as it adapts to all situations), Korea, Babylon, Shoshone, Ethiopia, Arabia.

Mayans are both nerfed and made stronger because ICS is considerably weaker, so the +2 science from Pyramids isn't going to be as good, and the free great people are... not free. However! GWAM people don't increase costs of other greaties, so Mayans got also a buff as they benefit more from the ua.

Oh and even after the nerf, Austria is very strong.

Most people say Incas, Babylon, Korea, Ethiopia Mayans and Arabia (now Poland too). I'd add Sweden to that list, though. Also, people usually hate the Danish. IMO, they are very good, regardless of the map. Got some coasts? Bam fast catapults shooting and disembarking on the same turn. Got lakes? Bam. Any body of water (besides, well, Lake Victoria) is a weapon for the Danish. I also love the fact that your Berserkers turn into N. Ski Infantry later. Berserkers are very good, come at a time when you've already looked around for iron and got 3 movement, which has synergy with your UA, alongside with the Amphibious promo. Then, the "scouting" Ski Infantry and theri 25% on hills (their most frequent uses). Also, free pillaging! For the Berserker, it is 50HP a turn and an attack. I like the Danes :)

Most people say Incas, Babylon, Korea, Ethiopia Mayans and Arabia (now Poland too). I'd add Sweden to that list, though. Also, people usually hate the Danish. IMO, they are very good, regardless of the map. Got some coasts? Bam fast catapults shooting and disembarking on the same turn. Got lakes? Bam. Any body of water (besides, well, Lake Victoria) is a weapon for the Danish. I also love the fact that your Berserkers turn into N. Ski Infantry later. Berserkers are very good, come at a time when you've already looked around for iron and got 3 movement, which has synergy with your UA, alongside with the Amphibious promo. Then, the "scouting" Ski Infantry and theri 25% on hills (their most frequent uses). Also, free pillaging! For the Berserker, it is 50HP a turn and an attack. I like the Danes :)

Though I wouldn't consider them a top Civ I always wondered why more people don't talk about the Danish UUs. They are very good IMO coupled with the UA

The Celts are an incredibly powerful tourism civ if you set them up right, puts them in the top 10 for me.

Top Bottom