New DLC: Polynesia

Does this mean new techs, or poor wording?

There should be an axiom about game announcements.

"Never attribute to game design advances what can easily be accounted for by poorly worded press releases."

1. Read Wikipedia article about Polynesia after new DLC is announced
2. Argue furiously about the significance of Polynesia as a Civ as though you were a historian of their culture
3. Appear intelligent/moronic
4. ???
5. Profit (?!)

I'm more interested in knowing whether the civ is balanced, or whether it is overpowered under some settings.

I'd also like to see whether they're adding the equivalent of magic in the special buildings or abilities.

Those are the two traditional pitfalls of DLC, both related to the same concept: people paying a premium for in-game advantage.

...i'm confused...if there was a concept for the "post production" of Civ5, then it's now probably gone.

What would have been logical as DLC concept?

Concept 1:
- Release every Civ, which most people would consider "important", as DLC, like the Incas and Spain, or which most other people would guess in the first place as candidates, Vikings, Mayas, Zulus, Portugal, Korea, etc.
Make afterwards an Addon/bundle out of this stuff.

Concept 2:
- Relase every Civ, which are for most people not that important, but which many people want, probably some "underdogs" also, like Polynesia, Poland, Australia, Brazil, Southern Africa, Austria/Hungary, etc., and make a separate addon with the Civs mentioned in concept 1.

So...what now? Did the dog eat the design document, did someone burn it or did anyone use it as toilet paper? What happened? Is there a concept? Or are they rolling dices?
Wouldn't the zulus be south africa?

...i'm confused...if there was a concept for the "post production" of Civ5, then it's now probably gone.

Concept 1:
- Release every Civ, which most people would consider "important", as DLC, like the Incas and Spain, or which most other people would guess in the first place as candidates, Vikings, Mayas, Zulus, Portugal, Korea, etc.

Concept 2:
- Relase every Civ, which are for most people not that important, but which many people want, probably some "underdogs" also, like Polynesia, Poland, Australia, Brazil, Southern Africa, Austria/Hungary, etc., and make a separate addon with the Civs mentioned in concept 1.

So...what now? Did the dog eat the design document, did someone burn it or did anyone use it as toilet paper? What happened? Is there a concept? Or are they rolling dices?

I am pretty sure the choice of Polynesia had something to do with popular demand. It has consistently led in the polls over on the 2K Forum.

In other words, it may be an unexpected choice but it is not just random chance.

Steam just announced that the DLC will be available thursday along with the map packs that would be downloaded automatically

Concept 1:

Concept 2:

Do you think it could be about money, dribbling out civs like this one or two at a time? I wonder how much cash they pull in on one of these DLCs?

I can tell you what I think. I'd like to see some longer official scenarios. And bring back the privateer.

Perhaps their concept is that they know the game has issues. So they will try to fix and balance the game as they move along, sneaking little tidbits out to the players bit by bit. It seems to be a pretty ingenius way to keep people coming back for more. People that don't like the game hope that it is going to be better this time around. People that do always have something to say about further issues that need to be addressed. The other thing that is apparent is their use of curiosity. Everyone is curious like the game or not.Curiosity used as a marketing ploy. Remember curiosity killed the cat! :lol:

I don't want to go off topic too much but I have bought every DLC, except the earlier map pack. I was wondering is the mappack dlc worth buying?

Let me explain then...maybe you didnt see my earlier posts.

What I see, is that they will come with more "Fountain of youth" kind of stuff.

Polynesia is a region, not a civ. It was never a political power in any time, never united under the same governament.

Its like make a civ "Latin America". Makes no sense.

Theres Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, the same way theres Thaiti, Hawaii...

The funny thing is you are getting upset over things you are completely wrong about. People have already corrected you on the facts about civrelated politics and how other big "civilizations" were nothing but a conglomeration of city states.

On the Fountain of youth and el dorado subjects. They actually got a big historical signifigance. The spanish invested alot of resources, send out massive expeditions and armada's to find these "mystic" treasures that were rumored to exist.
By doing so they conquered a big portion of the latin america's, but also overextended which resulted in their downfall at the end of the renaissance where brittain and france became more powerfull.

Legend is sometimes history, and vice verse, whether you like it or not, mysticism always had a huge impact on our history .

they listen! the 2k forums went up and down the street discussing polynesia and its potential abilities.
course, I'm banned there for now...

anyways, they may not have been the most popular choice (vikings and carthage were the top contenders) but you can't argue that this isn't a refreshing change!

And, might I add, I was the first to suggest an early embarkation ability.

My ego is skyrocketing. Someone give me a needle because my head is full of hot air.

Let me explain then...maybe you didnt see my earlier posts.

What I see, is that they will come with more "Fountain of youth" kind of stuff.

Polynesia is a region, not a civ. It was never a political power in any time, never united under the same governament.

Its like make a civ "Latin America". Makes no sense.

Theres Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, the same way theres Thaiti, Hawaii...

polynesians are a people, and they were quite influential. they formed nations and empires across the pacific.

quit your west-centrism

Polynesia, huh?
Definitely wasn't expecting that, but it's a great surprise.
I'd like to see Kamehameha go on to become a Civ staple like Ghandi and Napoleon.
Wonderful addition.

Ok, I think it will be cool to have them as a civ. But, and let me know if its already been posted, what is its special ability and units/buildings?

Top Bottom