SteamDB: "Bison" Depot??

When do "Christmas Sales" usually occur? Seeing as this will be on Steam, the two could pair up.
19th is the apparent date this year. I'd think they would wait until just after the sale. A lot of publishers seem to release new content on the heels of sales in order to capitalise on new buyers when the time until the next sale is most likely to be longer than the customer's patience. If they did coincide I could see it not being discounted (seeing how the latest DLC for XCOM didn't get a discount recently).

I suppose you could rename barbarians bandits, which fits a lot better in my opinion.

You know bandits wouldnt be the worst thing. So not barbarrian rifleman, but a bandit, who looks like a cowboy complete with bandanna over mouth and pillages tiles and or trains (updated caravan icon). Granted this is USA-centric, but would add flavor.

When do "Christmas Sales" usually occur? Seeing as this will be on Steam, the two could pair up.

and i agree with Tsuchinoko, I would LOVE a 3rd expansion that focuses on expanding science victory so it's not as tame as domination with Culture and Diplomatic being more fun. And add a form of Colonization tha tallows you to construct a Puppet Second nation that could end up going independant.

^^^^I agree with Tsuchinoko and TheKingOfBigOz......I'd love the expansion of a scientific vicotry, Like they did it with the diplomatic..I could see that some of the tech could change and launching SS parts might be replace with like finding a cure to cancer or building a Utopia(Idk what they'll do....But let them figure it out and we speculate:) As for colonization...I'd loooove it! I've played Civ 4 and the colonization and it was fun. We could do colonization by the continents....Every civs(I think) was an empire.. like

America-Had territories oversea into the Philippines..Guam...and Pueto Rico

Western Europe- OF course, They all had colonies..England had Jamestown...France had New Orleans, West Africa, And Indochina(Im not sure how it going to work if Vietnam gets in) Russia had Siberia.

Roman Empire- They had colonies

And Nuff said.. Colonization could work when an empire goes to another continents and establish cities..That option could come out as either "Keep the city part of the empire" Which still gives the base unhappiness of 4 or "Make it a colony..One that is semi-autonomous and is a protectorate" which can give only the base unhappiness of 2 and 0.5 unhappiness. But the risk is that if the colony grows too large and there might be a diplomacy options(Like Colonial Legislature) that they demand independence. There are 3 options

1. Allow them to go their way and each colonial cities becomes a city state(But they become ur allies with a base of 75 influence points to let them thank you)

2. You could try and fight a bloody war in the colonies(They could call themselves "Insert_Empire_Name Rebel....The empire(Us duh) could send in troops while the colonies could try and hire mercenaries and try to build up just like the Murican Revolution.....Also to prevent other civs from exploiting a revolution/civil war. That civ that tries to help the colonial rebel has to go to war with the mother civ as the colonies are technically part of the civ...The war could last for a long time......The rebel would have the advantage of fighting on the home soil and get a promotion that says "Patriotism for Independence!" that gives 10% bonus to all land and naval units fighting against their mother at their home. But the empire would have the advantage as they could be "technologically advanced" compared to the colonial rebel. Her army would be way superior to the colonial rebel as the rebel would have to build up from scratch while the civ's armies could have various promotions.

3. Negotiate: It a option where u can go to the colonial screen where you could negotiate with the rebels. They might demand some strategic cities to get away...But u neeed the strategic cities to survive. Basically a compromise if the civ and the colonies negotiates. Some cities become independent and some stay with the civs. Basically a way to actually avoid a bloody war for retaining control on the colonies and not "decolonization" lose all of ur colonies.

That is my idea of colonization

and can somebody help me change my diffuculty levels...Im technically prince-king after playing a game last night against my friends. They ganged up on me..4-1. I ended up destroying them.

And i personally think that the DLC is coming for christmas..
It could be 1-2 new civs and maybe a new scenario while a patch comes and updates the scenario to the new ones.

You know bandits wouldnt be the worst thing. So not barbarrian rifleman, but a bandit, who looks like a cowboy complete with bandanna over mouth and pillages tiles and or trains (updated caravan icon). Granted this is USA-centric, but would add flavor.

Be even cooler if when the bandits successfully pillage a trade route, nearby camps have their spawn rate increased temporarily to reflect that fact there are juicy, apparently undefended, trade routes about.

That would be incredibly entertaining. Given the barbs are weak and worthless already, why not just replace their units with faster, but weaker UU replacements? Nobody is ever going to lose a city to a barbarian after all, and the 95% attrition rate the barbarians must notice whenever they enter my borders must look far less appealing than just raiding trade routes which are worth more than the cities they're trying to take half the time.

Be even cooler if when the bandits successfully pillage a trade route, nearby camps have their spawn rate increased temporarily to reflect that fact there are juicy, apparently undefended, trade routes about.

That would be incredibly entertaining. Given the barbs are weak and worthless already, why not just replace their units with faster, but weaker UU replacements? Nobody is ever going to lose a city to a barbarian after all, and the 95% attrition rate the barbarians must notice whenever they enter my borders must look far less appealing than just raiding trade routes which are worth more than the cities they're trying to take half the time.

Yeah...But how would bandits work in ancient times.......Bandit were disorganized and will proabably hurt the AI more then the us.
I personally think barbarians should stay...But upgrade them..Give them so much aggressiveness..Oh and if a camp stay on long enough, That encampment could become Fortress and would have increased spawn rates.

Yeah...But how would bandits work in ancient times.......Bandit were disorganized and will proabably hurt the AI more then the us.
I personally think barbarians should stay...But upgrade them..Give them so much aggressiveness..Oh and if a camp stay on long enough, That encampment could become Fortress and would have increased spawn rates.

Bandits would work in ancient times like they would at any other points of the game? Civilization doesn't exactly ooze realism.

Making them more aggressive doesn't really do anything. I have to play on Raging Barbs just to get them to barely Civilization IV barb annoyance levels, and even CivIV base level for barbs had them able to take cities. An aggression increased from base CivV levels to CivV Raging Barb levels as the default wouldn't really make much of a difference in the player's bottom line.

Bandits would't be in ancient times. I think the idea is to update barbarians with age. For example bandits in industrial times, maybe outlawas (think robin hood) in medieval era. And maybe Somali type pirates in modern era.

Aaaaaaaaaand we've entered Ideas & Suggestions territory.

Sorry to get back on topic, when I hear Bison, I think code name for a Western DLC of some sort. In civ context, when I think of Bison, I think of the plains Native Americans, and the significance the bison had to them (and also how the severe over hunting of them contributed to their downfall).

Out of this, I expect a dlc with most likely the Sioux and/or other plains native american civs. There is even the small chance of bison as a resource, but although I would love this, I think the developers would feel it too redundant after cattle.

With this there could even further bring a buff to mounted units as a plains civ would most likely have at least 1 mounted unit. This could also be a partial solution to the problems people seem to have with the strength of early ranged units. By buffing horses to trample through early archers, horses become more relevant, and archers become less "mandatory".

Lastly the nomadic tenancies of the plains Native Americans would allow the devs to really run wild with creativity in making a unique civ. Possibilities are endless.

Would they really make the Sioux move their settlements around? Is that possible with Civ 5? I doubt they would make more than one Plains Indian civ, their cultures were similar unless you count language or groups who lived in settlements (Mandan, Arikara, Hidatsa) personally, I would like a Pacific Northwest Civ and a Southeast civ (Mississippians/Seminole/Cherokee for example) I know a Southwest native civ is not possible anymore (unless they do the Apache or Navajo, but those are not Puebloan groups)

Although I don't like the idea of moving settlements, it's possible. I mean I'm pretty sure that in Vanilla, the idea of not being able to built settlers was weird (and a lot of us were stunned with Venice).

I had a thought recently.

With the Scrambled Afirca map, the Deluxe could very well use a randomized interior of America, but keep the outline, because at the moment, guess what? It's a randomized pangea.

It doesn't necessarily have to be with settlements moving. Theres all sorts of crazy ways to show a nomadic civ.

One could be to have any tile a unit is stationed on be a workable tile. Maybe a dog soldier rides out 7 hexes from the capital and parks onto a gold mine to mine it. Might require some setup time. This might be in place of or in addition to workers. Maybe they get no cultural boarders. As a result of this.

Maybe you can move cities.

Lots of ways you could implement it, I think in Civ 4's Mongol scenario, there were units that spawned more units. These are possible, obviously not replacing cities, but as a UU.

Two distinctly different Indian Tribes would be very cool. Have the Pacific Northwest tribe have special attributes in fishing and boat making etc. for example for the surroundings they lived in and were surrounded by and something similar to a Southern tribe. Which types of forestry and natural elements did they have to work with to make weapons?

I think this would be cool. I am sure there are settlers in other parts of the world that would fall into this category like our Native Americans in the U.S.

Brew God

Hey, do we know that there is "Sid Meier's Civilization V Simplified Chinese" on the depot list? I'm not sure this is known or not.

Check out. http://steamdb.info/app/8930/#section_depots Numbers 235590 and 235586. Also, I can't seem to find the WOTAW depot someone wrote about on an earlier page. The number 99614, I think it was it, is not there anymore.

Since we're talking about Native American Tribes, I hope they include the Haida or some other representative of the Pacific Northwest.

I had an Idea months ago in the Ideas forum but I'll copy it over here just to give an idea of some of the things you could do with the Haida.

The Haida (like many indigenous people of that area) are incredibly interesting culturally and lend themselves surprisingly well towards being a Civilization. Many Indigenous North American tribes struggle to have unique gameplay ideas form because the ones from the same regions had a lot of shared ideas when looking at the bigger picture, but not The Haida.

The Haida however were amongst a few peoples in North America that practiced slavery. I wanted to represent that tastefully.

They were expert coastal raiders even when Europeans started expanding towards them and Chief Koyah was particularly disruptive for European and American traders. They are often compared to the Vikings and I wanted to show this naval prowess.

They have a unique art style that blends into there tapestries and architecture. The totem poles are an iconic cultural image for them. I definitely wanted to show their prowess in that way.

The last thing I wanted to show, and ultimately couldn't put in cohesively with only 3 uniques, was the Potlatch Ceremony. It was a social construction that was also unique to this region and became the main part of their society once Manifest destiny started really pushing west.

So as you can see it was hard for me to truly decide how to represent these people but I would've rather had them over the Shoshone.

But yeah I made some changes to make it a little more clear and balanced

Haida

Leader: Koyah
Capital: Ninstints
Start Bias: Coast and(?) Forest

UA: Children of the Raven and Eagle: or Ships of Sequoia
Start with Sailing. Chopping down a forest in the Ancient Era grants a free* Redwood War Canoe. Forests chopped before the Classical Era grow back if the land is otherwise unimproved.

*Canoes from the UA are maintenance free until upgraded.

UU: RedWood War Canoe:
Free Coastal raider 1
Unique promotion: Spoils of Conquest: that gives 33% chance to give a population point (like ruins) when killing an enemy civ's unit. (100% if city, kept on upgrade).

(Depicting their tendency to take slaves from nearby peoples)

UB: Totem Pole:
replaces Monument; Cost 30 production instead of 40, +10 points towards a Great Artist or* General every time the city grows.

*Get to choose for each city

Since we're talking about Native American Tribes, I hope they include the Haida or some other representative of the Pacific Northwest.

I had an Idea months ago in the Ideas forum but I'll copy it over here just to give an idea of some of the things you could do with the Haida.

The Haida (like many indigenous people of that area) are incredibly interesting culturally and lend themselves surprisingly well towards being a Civilization. Many Indigenous North American tribes struggle to have unique gameplay ideas form because the ones from the same regions had a lot of shared ideas when looking at the bigger picture, but not The Haida.

The Haida however were amongst a few peoples in North America that practiced slavery. I wanted to represent that tastefully.

They were expert coastal raiders even when Europeans started expanding towards them and Chief Koyah was particularly disruptive for European and American traders. They are often compared to the Vikings and I wanted to show this naval prowess.

They have a unique art style that blends into there tapestries and architecture. The totem poles are an iconic cultural image for them. I definitely wanted to show their prowess in that way.

The last thing I wanted to show, and ultimately couldn't put in cohesively with only 3 uniques, was the Potlatch Ceremony. It was a social construction that was also unique to this region and became the main part of their society once Manifest destiny started really pushing west.

So as you can see it was hard for me to truly decide how to represent these people but I would've rather had them over the Shoshone.

But yeah I made some changes to make it a little more clear and balanced

Haida

Leader: Koyah
Capital: Ninstints
Start Bias: Coast and(?) Forest

UA: Children of the Raven and Eagle: or Ships of Sequoia
Start with Sailing. Chopping down a forest in the Ancient Era grants a free* Redwood War Canoe. Forests chopped before the Classical Era grow back if the land is otherwise unimproved.

*Canoes from the UA are maintenance free until upgraded.

UU: RedWood War Canoe:
Free Coastal raider 1
Unique promotion: Spoils of Conquest: that gives 33% chance to give a population point (like ruins) when killing an enemy civ's unit. (100% if city, kept on upgrade).

(Depicting their tendency to take slaves from nearby peoples)

UB: Totem Pole:
replaces Monument; Cost 30 production instead of 40, +10 points towards a Great Artist or* General every time the city grows.

*Get to choose for each city

There is a mod which adds Haida. Check "LS Civilisation Mods (or packs, I don't remember)", one of them has Haida included.

Top Bottom