From a complete Noob's perspective...First hour of Civ experience!

CivNoob

Chieftain
Hello All,

Well, I picked up this game on a whim, in hopes to find some peaceful time with my new PS3 and accompanying 50in Pioneer Plasma and Polk Audio surround.

I've played it now for about 1 hour, and decided to scrap the first game in full. Basically, I wasted probably 25-30+ turns forgetting to do this or that, and the other thing. I have zero experience with any of the other Civ games, so I'm fumbling throughout this process. I doubt I still have everything figured out, in fact I know I don't. There is just so much to look for and so many paths to walk down...it's a bit overwhelming for me, as I'm a FPS and sports guy, never ventured into this realm before.

Frankly the game is probably one of the coolest games I've played, yet one of the most complicated to learn. The Civopedia or whatever that thing is isn't that great, albeit some have purported it's supreme excellence (not on this site, but on other reviews I read pre-purchase).

I think the graphics are spectacular, and the game play plenty fast for someone who probably plays exponentially slower than the game would allow.

I also think this game is probably one of the best value's on the marketplace, as there are ultimately infinite games that can be had and never one will be alike. That's pretty sweet...

All in all, I need a lot of help, and am thinking I'm going to lose a lot of sleep...I can see this becoming a habit, one that my wife isn't going to like.

I'll make another report when I hit my first milestone of actually getting through a game without getting so frustrated that I turn it off and start over, win or lose.

Cheers and I hope you all are enjoying the game as well...

Regards,

Mark

Hope you like it and continue to enjoy.

Next step is the PC game and prepare to be even more overwhelmed and dazzled. I cannot tell you how many months of my life have been spent on this series. From about 1992 on i've been hooked like a pure junkie!

Congrats on getting the game and enjoying it. Now you can join CivAnon with the rest of us.

Thanks Big D and Nik...

I suspect a new game will be started in the next 30 minutes, right after happy hour starts inside ye old homestead...

Cheers,

Mark

My first game of CivRev I felt overwhelmed and confused and I'm coming from a Civ4 background! It's a new game, it takes time to sink in, especially if you're a complete Civ virgin.

Just play a couple games, probably at Chieftan, and get your bearings. This site will help immensly, too.

Good luck and have fun!

My first game is going smooth enough...didn't remember Ghandi being such an evil little ruler...

Glad your having fun Mark!

the game will be a but overwhelming for a little bit. when I first started playing civ 3 (my first civ) i felt i didn't know what was going on for like a month. just keep playing and it will become clearer. also always try to new things. don't stop experimenting

Thanks all for the 'encouragement' and to those who also felt my pain at one time! :D

I played for 2 hours yesterday, and saved my game. It went exponentially better than the first game, but I'm still trying to find my way.

For instance, I'm trying to take down Russia. So, I'm three cities into a game, have some good armies built, both regular and the ones you build after you get the Iron Tech. Some horsemen, archers, galley, etc...However, I can't seem to get a 24 attack army to at the very least match what Russia has got, so here's a question...

Is there a way to attack simulatneously, if I've a city surrounded? Can I join two or three armies together to make a larger more powerful unit?

Thanks!

This is a whole heap of fun though, I have to admit, very glad I joined the family!

Cheers,

Mark

You do realise that once you are a hardened veteran you'll have to register a new account, or be 'noob' forever, right? :lol:

That aside, no you cannot 'join' armies together. However, there are various things you can do to help attack cities more effectively. Sieging the city, as you are already doing, can be useful - the enemy cannot 'work' occupied squares, and thus you can cripple the city's production.

If you have the Tech for it, you can build 'Spy' units. Spies can be sent into enemy cities to destroy fortifications, for example (this only lasts for one turn; you'd need to attack immediately after the spy's mission). As you didn't mention them specifically, I'll also note the usefulness of Catapult armies - very high attack (but make sure you have good defensive armies in the same stack to defend them, of course).

Some times you may be able to use the land effectively as well; for example, if there is a hill next to a city, attack from that location because hills confer an offensive bonus.

I'm not a great Civ player, and I imagine many others will have more refined advice they can offer.

Happy warmongering :king:

Congrats and welcome aboard

Magi, Naib, et al...

Thanks for the help...I will tweak my attacks accordingly.

I'm learning that the basis of your civ depends heavily on the early turns, and what you do with your early built units, or so it seems. I sort of fell into a warmongering mode with my early units and lost a bunch of armies as a result of trying to do too much too fast, and that hurt a bit.

I'm going to stick through this second saved game though, rather than start over again, as I think I can still salvage things, and perhaps learn what NOT to do next time!

As for my wife, I just bought her a DS game that she wanted (same day I bought CivRev), so it's bought me a little more time than I would normally have. Extremely strategic in my purchases :lol:

I should finish my game win or lose today, I'll let you know how it all goes...so far I'm 'winning' in 3 of the 4 categories, so maybe I've still a shot.

Cheers,

Mark

Hey Magi or anybody else who cares to chime in:

How do you build Catapult Armies? Is it an 'upgrade' or do you need a tech/s developed first?

Thanks,

Mark

To build a catapult you need math. and an army = 3 units combined

Ahhh, thanks Widow...

Therein lies the issue...I've only got Alphabet, Writing, Iron, Whatever affords you Archers, and am working on something else that I can't recall...

I'll have to look into that...I want to decimate a city! You know in the most samaritan sort of way :)

Thanks!

Mark

Top Bottom