Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

WildFire said:
Yeah, yeah I'm awesome.

;D

From Chat:

"<WildFire> The magazine is too far away."
:lol:

So, "great prophets" will replace or add to the MGL and SGL. This is not very astonishing.
Religion seems to become the primary means to adjust happiness issues. This - based on the current level of information - seems to be a logical decision.
More ressources? Hmm.. They could be modded in to Civ3 already. I hope, that we will find improvement based on those ressources, offering more economic features (and not the traditional "add another percentage" stuff)
19 nations should be enough for something "out of the box"
The new interface is something which seems not to mean that much. It will be a matter of learning, and then we will use it as we did with the interface of Civ3
The map generator can be adjusted via XML and Python? This seems to offer quite a lot of new features, as - perhaps - getting rid of the problem of "tundra settling"
PBEM features I already expected.

Well, some interesting news. More interesting, though, will be how they work out.

If there are only going to be 19 civs, does that mean that the likely civs will be the popular ones? Like England, India, Germany, China, and Zulu?

QuoVadisNation said:
If there are only going to be 19 civs, does that mean that the likely civs will be the popular ones? Like England, India, Germany, China, and Zulu?

No, it will be Liechtenstein, Monaco and Honduras :lol:

I am pretty sure that it will cover all the "typical" nations, as were included in the prior releases

I'd guess it would basically be the original Civs included in Vanilla Civ, plus a few more.

I think they'll include a variety of Civs from Vanilla, PTW, and C3C.
The amount of Civs (19 from 31) doesn't matter that much because it is not content that matters but innovation (as Soren has said).

Hey Civrules, I notice a VERY NEW update!!! Where did this update come from? I searched the thread for the reference, but couldn't find it. If its a mag, please let me know so that I can buy it ;) :)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Hey Civrules, I notice a VERY NEW update!!! Where did this update come from? I searched the thread for the reference, but couldn't find it. If its a mag, please let me know so that I can buy it ;) :)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.
You must have missed this. :)

Civics definately sounds interesting. Religion still seems to have potential to be good, but I still think more info is needed before I can tell for sure.

What exactly is civics? Is it like ordinances in sim city?

As for the 19 civilizations, I really hope they have the Carthaginians. Their the only civ I use in Civilization 2 / 3.

i hope they bring back the celtics .. also i hope they dont borrow too much from rts games

I think the original 16, plus Carthage, Ottomans, and Maya would work well.

What, if I may ask, would be the effect on Civ4 of heavy borrowing from RTS games? As far as I know, I have never played a game that would qualify as RTS.

bed_head7 said:
What, if I may ask, would be the effect on Civ4 of heavy borrowing from RTS games? As far as I know, I have never played a game that would qualify as RTS.

Well, as far as I know, they are borrowing more successful elements from RTS games. But I've no idea which exactly they are borrowing for Civ IV. For Civ III I think they kind of borrowed the "unique" Civs (which everyone obviously likes).
The feel should still be 100% Civ though.

RTS = Real Time Strategy (even ancient games such as Sim City or Dune are members of the Real Time genre)... this is the stuff that almost killed Firaxis as several amazingly gifted people that believed in RTS left the Team after Alpha Centauri, to forge games such as Empire Earth, Rise of Nations and the like.

Having had simultaneous game movement even in civ2 (they hid it but was possible to be activated for multiplayer by overriding the load script) my guess will be that it should concern either non-warlike movement plotting and economy fiddling even while the AI is moving. So we might possibly get turn based action with simultaneous movement within those turns (which should save huge ammounts of time, especialy in multiplayer). Just a wild guess, really...

Edit: In any case RTS will bring about a lot of Micromanagement again (religion, prophets :scan: hummmmm), something that was originaly intended to be greatly reduced for civ3 (when departing from civ2). Nonetheless such intend turned out to be very different in reality when the game launched and people started having to use the bic/bix/biq editor :lol:

it seems that one will be able to assemble "multi-units" together from single units built and send them into battle- or that's what I thought about when I read the particular part of the article ??? That would then resemble armies on the campaign map of games such as Rome Total war...

Top Bottom