RifE Launcher thread

I thought so, but I updated now again just in case.

Loading and unloading works now, but the [rifeversion] still shows no progres.

why ? access denied error ?
Something about files with the same name already existing and the name being listed as: ", ".

It works now that I have updated so forget it.

... ? how exactly it doesn't work ?
The entire line just does not exist. See the image submitted.

Here is what I made:
Code:
;PPQ INFO.TXT FILE
;
;Lines beginning with ";" are considered to be comments, and are ignored
;[xxx] identificators doesn't have to be in this order as in this file
;
;
;this file (( info.txt )) is optional, as well as is the version.txt
;but if you already have this file, the "version.txt" is useless, 
;so i recommend remove it you don't have to edit two files when releasing new version :D
;
;
;Name - no need to explain
;note: one line
[name]
PPQ
;
;
;Version - version of module
;Note: it have to be number, so only numberic characters and none or one period
[version]
;
;
;RifE version - version of RifE for which is this module tested, checked, developed, etc
;Note: it have to be number, so only numberic characters and none or one period
[rifeversion]
;
;
;Author - you
[author]
PPQ_Purple, AKA: Purple, PPQ or Purple Qwrq
;
;
;Short description - text showed in contect menu
;[shortdesc]
;placeholder
;
;
;Description - text showed in message box
;note: can be multiline
;[desc]
;placeholder
;
;
;Dependency - modules, on which is this module dependent
; (( it's commented here, because this module don't have any dependencies :P ))
;[dependency]
;Syntax: <foldername_of_module>
;Syntax: <foldername_of_module><semicolon><space><version_of_module>
;Examples:
;SomeAwesomeVersionedMod; 3.4
;SomeAwesomeVersionlessMod
;
;
;Compatibility - modules, between which is disabled conflict checking
; (( it's commented here, because this module don't have any special compatibility needs :P ))
;note: BOTH modules has to have the each other in the list !!
;note: version can't be specified
; (( it's commented here ))
;[compatible]
;Syntax <folder_of_module>
;Example:
;SomeGreatMod

Attachments

• error32.JPG
    error32.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 210
well ... if current version of your RifE is 1.3 and there is specified rifeversion 1.3 in your module's info.txt, then it isn't showed

Oh, so it is intended. Cool, but you should really note that down somwhere...

I bet you've been dreading the day I ask for yet another feature.

Spoiler :
An addition to the Module Editor
Spoiler :
Actually should be simple, but, just tells you how many modules you have loaded, for people too lazy to count...

I bet you've been dreading the day I ask for yet another feature.

Spoiler :
An addition to the Module Editor
Spoiler :
Actually should be simple, but, just tells you how many modules you have loaded, for people too lazy to count...

what would be the use of this ??

and actually, i'm dreading every time i see "Unread posts" sign next to "RifE Launcher thread" and "Do you like RifE Launcher?" ...
it's always "it would be cool if ...", "could you add ...", "what if ...", "adding ... would be great", "have you considered ... ", "it's not working", "access denied error", "NOTSET error", "there's problem", "it showed this error ...", etc, etc

Every time I try to open RifE from the launcher it closes out, and a little pop up appears, but then it immediately disappears. Perhaps I'm getting a CtD when I try to open RifE? Do I need the unofficial BtS patch for RifE?

Edit: I just wanted to say that I didn't download anything before RifE. Perhaps I need Fall From Heaven and the Patch first?

Do you have the newest dotNet framework? This requires 3.5 I think.

and actually, i'm dreading every time i see "Unread posts" sign next to "RifE Launcher thread" and "Do you like RifE Launcher?" ...
it's always "it would be cool if ...", "could you add ...", "what if ...", "adding ... would be great", "have you considered ... ", "it's not working", "access denied error", "NOTSET error", "there's problem", "it showed this error ...", etc, etc

Then you certainly aren't going to like these ideas.

Only the last two are mine, the first two have been suggested by others as well so I don't claim to take credit for it. In fact, I don't give a Veil about credit if this gets implemented. Despite the fact I'm skeptical about the inclusion of these features, I'd appreciate it if the response was at the very least a "we will see" than an outright "Falamar you and the Hippus you rode in on."

1 - Module Configurations

Save which modules (and versions) are loaded in which order to an XML file. Yes, an XML file. Text files have the unfortunate limitation of being two dimensional. For those of us (not me, ahem) who are playing around with 20 modules, this will save a lot of time. But I see no reason this needs to have an interface ...

2 - Savegame Manager

I usually use Windows Explorer to load a save game. Civ is smart enough to figure out which mod (not module) it belongs to and load it before loading up the game. In this case the interface is important, but a file manager can't be that hard to put into the launcher, can it?

3 - BreakSave

If I only had one idea to pick out of any of these to be implemented, this would be it. But only because I know the next one couldn't exist without the first two. In FfH, sometimes patches would break saves. Likewise, in RiFE, patches can break saves, but so can modules.

Unfortunately, for modules, their (in)activation might break saves, as well as upgrading to a newer version. This is why you would want to use XML (something the Civ4 modders should know, but that's just a suggestion.) The BreakSave tag would include all versions of RiFE or the module that would not be compatible.

For example, Less Dangerous Animals 1.302 doesn't break saves. But lets say that I release a 1.303 that does. My BreakSave list would include LDA 1.302 but nothing else, meaning any file that uses LDA 1.302 or earlier is not compatible. Compare that to GWS_Experimental, which (I think) breaks saves as well. If I released a version 0.34 it's BreakSave would include RiFE 0.0 and GWS_Experimental 0.33.

4 - Module Manager

So here is how to combine them all.

Whenever a save game is created, the BTS version, RiFE version, and all modules that were loaded, as well as that version, is saved as well. When browsing through save games, the launcher will know what modules to activate in what order for each game.

How?

Every .CivBeyondSwordSave file terminates with a specific order of bits. Appending information after the terminator has no effect on loading or gameplay at all. So all the launcher needs to do is to TSR when RiFE is launched and wait until games are saved. When files are changed in the Civ4 save directory, the Module Configuration (see #1) is appended to the file.

1 - Module Configurations

Save which modules (and versions) are loaded in which order to an XML file. Yes, an XML file. Text files have the unfortunate limitation of being two dimensional. For those of us (not me, ahem) who are playing around with 20 modules, this will save a lot of time. But I see no reason this needs to have an interface ...

Profiles ... this idea was already here, and actually this might not be very difficult to do
though i don't understand last sentence: "But I see no reason this needs to have an interface" ... there has to be interface, or there would be no way of changing it, besides directly editing that file in notepad

2 - Savegame Manager

I usually use Windows Explorer to load a save game. Civ is smart enough to figure out which mod (not module) it belongs to and load it before loading up the game. In this case the interface is important, but a file manager can't be that hard to put into the launcher, can it?

... i don't understand, why should i add this one ... you can already open savegame from launcher and in "open file" window you can also delete files, so i don't really see why ...

3 - BreakSave

If I only had one idea to pick out of any of these to be implemented, this would be it. But only because I know the next one couldn't exist without the first two. In FfH, sometimes patches would break saves. Likewise, in RiFE, patches can break saves, but so can modules.

Unfortunately, for modules, their (in)activation might break saves, as well as upgrading to a newer version. This is why you would want to use XML (something the Civ4 modders should know, but that's just a suggestion.) The BreakSave tag would include all versions of RiFE or the module that would not be compatible.

For example, Less Dangerous Animals 1.302 doesn't break saves. But lets say that I release a 1.303 that does. My BreakSave list would include LDA 1.302 but nothing else, meaning any file that uses LDA 1.302 or earlier is not compatible. Compare that to GWS_Experimental, which (I think) breaks saves as well. If I released a version 0.34 it's BreakSave would include RiFE 0.0 and GWS_Experimental 0.33.

i think i don't understand again ...
but i could add support for "[breaksaves]" tag in info.txt, which would notify user, when they enable/disable that module

4 - Module Manager

So here is how to combine them all.

Whenever a save game is created, the BTS version, RiFE version, and all modules that were loaded, as well as that version, is saved as well. When browsing through save games, the launcher will know what modules to activate in what order for each game.

How?

Every .CivBeyondSwordSave file terminates with a specific order of bits. Appending information after the terminator has no effect on loading or gameplay at all. So all the launcher needs to do is to TSR when RiFE is launched and wait until games are saved. When files are changed in the Civ4 save directory, the Module Configuration (see #1) is appended to the file.

i'm not fan of TSR, because .NET framework slows whole PC a little bit, and for second it would require to rewrite whole program, since right now it's dialog-based application, and for TSR i'd need to convert it to win32 application (( due to memory consumption (( resources )), etc )) ... actually, it'd maybe be better, if i'd rewrite it into c++

however i'm not sure when i return to rifelauncher code, because last time i got "access denied" error i ragequitted, because that goddamn windows refused to give me full access to RifE folder even though i'm administrator ... so it might take a while until i go back to this project

Oh damn, I need to check if it's even possible to add/edit stuff to the wiki atm. And other stuff on the wiki. I know I was working on something and it broke things, dunno if I reverted it.

arcticnightwolf, please consider adding a description in your first post on this thread. A download is hiding well down in the Civ4 Utilities list: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9481685

After I DLed and tried that, I found another version (newer? -larger, anyway) in my "Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise from Erebus" folder. Apparently I missed where this was announced in the RiFE download thread.

And here is the official list of modules: http://greyfox.me/rife/wiki/index.php?title=Official_List_of_Modules

Also, JEiK66 mentioned getting a "Could not find part of the path" error. I kept getting one too; I fixed it by putting an empty Modules folder in an empty Assets folder in the directory with the RiFE Launcher I had downloaded. This wasn't necessary with the included version, which was in the right place for your hard-coded directories to work.

So far I've only tried one unincluded mod, and neither version of Saila worked for me. I'll see if I can get Imperial Roads to work. The launcher says it conflicts with MoreEvents at IMPROVEMENT_FOXFORD, but we'll see. And I merged the files with the RiFE files, which meant some of the RiFE files got overwritten, which means I'll have to reinstall everything if it breaks something. I wish mods were more ...modular.
Or am I doing it wrong?

Run PediaReader stops with:
From HAMSTER_CIV4GameText.xml
ERROR
Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 57, position 275.
END

I got a problem with the launcher, it won't update files that need to be updated, like Makera's Order from 1.08 to 1.09 and this MPL, I always get a unhandled execption has occured error.

[...] I'll see if I can get Imperial Roads to work. The launcher says it conflicts with MoreEvents at IMPROVEMENT_FOXFORD, but we'll see. [...]

Don't mind this conflict. MoreEvents and Imperial Roads are 100% compatible.

I got a problem with the launcher, it won't update files that need to be updated, like Makera's Order from 1.08 to 1.09 and this MPL, I always get a unhandled execption has occured error.

The RifE launcher is able to update modules? How does that work? Are you sure?

Top Bottom