Announcing BUFFY

You may have XP/Vista set up to hide file extensions. Civ4 makes a backup of CivilizationIV.ini to CivilizationIV.ini.bak, and if you have extensions hidden you'll see CivilizationIV and CivilizationIV.ini (the backup file). If this is the case, double-click the CivilizationIV one and edit that.

If not . . . I dunno.:confused:

That got it- thanks much!

may be you have to write this in your .ini

Code:
; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = Mods\BUG Mod 4.0

and be sure you change the right .ini , this one for bts

When I run BUFFY, it runs fine for a while, but on occassions, it blows up and kicks me out of CivIVBts. It always happens when I am attacking an opponent city, and have successed (killed last unit). Anyone else experiencing same problem? Do you have a known issue? When should we expect 3.19.002 with fixes?

@assuredgrp - uncheck 'stack attack' - that is a known issue. I can neither confirm nor denign that we are working on v2
Spoiler :
we are :D

Yes, the stack attack bug has been fixed and will make it into the next release. For now you can either uncheck Stack Attack in BTS's Options screen or make sure you always attack with fewer units than defenders. The crash happens when the stack kills the last defender and splits to move those with movement points remaining onto the target square. Make sure that when you kill the last defender, you do so with a single unit selected.

Yes, the stack attack bug has been fixed and will make it into the next release. For now you can either uncheck Stack Attack in BTS's Options screen or make sure you always attack with fewer units than defenders. The crash happens when the stack kills the last defender and splits to move those with movement points remaining onto the target square. Make sure that when you kill the last defender, you do so with a single unit selected.

Thanks for your prompt reply. That was the bug, and it has worked fine since. You seem to be in the know, and perhaps have involvement in the next release. I have a question re Civ 4: In Civ 3, you could use aircraft to destroy roads and railroads. Only seems to make sense since that is what we would do in a real war - take out their bridges to make movement more difficult. Any clue why thye took that feature out, and do you know of any mod available to put that back into Civ4 (bts)? I really would love to have that back. Thanks.

Thanks for your prompt reply. That was the bug, and it has worked fine since. You seem to be in the know, and perhaps have involvement in the next release. I have a question re Civ 4: In Civ 3, you could use aircraft to destroy roads and railroads. Only seems to make sense since that is what we would do in a real war - take out their bridges to make movement more difficult. Any clue why thye took that feature out, and do you know of any mod available to put that back into Civ4 (bts)? I really would love to have that back. Thanks.

I know about BUFFY's coding and release because I work on it. As for why the Civ4 designers made the no-bombing-roads decision, you'd need to ask them. :lol: I agree it would be more realistic, and I'd bet that if you searched the mod forums you'd find one such mod. You could post a question there to get a wider audience as well. I don't know of any mods that do that, but I don't know very much about gameplay-altering mods.

I know about BUFFY's coding and release because I work on it. As for why the Civ4 designers made the no-bombing-roads decision, you'd need to ask them. :lol: I agree it would be more realistic, and I'd bet that if you searched the mod forums you'd find one such mod. You could post a question there to get a wider audience as well. I don't know of any mods that do that, but I don't know very much about gameplay-altering mods.

Thanks again. How would I reach the Civ4 desgners to ask them? I can search the mod's, but even if I find one, it seems to me that you can only load 1 mod for game play, and I very much like the BUFFY mod. Wouldn't it be great if the BUFFY mod had a checkbox in options to allow aircraft to damage roads and railraods? If not, is there a way to laod multiple mods that I am unaware of?

You can have only one mod loaded at a time, but you can with some technical knowledge merge mods. Mods like this would require what's called SDK merging, and that's a fair bit more technical than most interface mods.

As for including this feature in BUFFY, that would be problematic because BUFFY does not alter gameplay, and this would. However, BUFFY does include the Global Warming mod which does alter gameplay slightly, so maybe the HOF/xOTM crew could be convinced to include this mod.

I have no idea how to contact Firaxis, the designers of Civ4. You could post in the BTS forum as I think they sometimes read that. The only time I've seen one of them post was to verify that a bug that the community found was indeed a bug and not intentional.

You can have only one mod loaded at a time, but you can with some technical knowledge merge mods. Mods like this would require what's called SDK merging, and that's a fair bit more technical than most interface mods.

As for including this feature in BUFFY, that would be problematic because BUFFY does not alter gameplay, and this would. However, BUFFY does include the Global Warming mod which does alter gameplay slightly, so maybe the HOF/xOTM crew could be convinced to include this mod.

I have no idea how to contact Firaxis, the designers of Civ4. You could post in the BTS forum as I think they sometimes read that. The only time I've seen one of them post was to verify that a bug that the community found was indeed a bug and not intentional.

If you had any influence with the HOF/xOTM crew, I'd appreciate knowing this request was passed along to them. Thanks again for all your info.

If you had any influence with the HOF/xOTM crew, I'd appreciate knowing this request was passed along to them. Thanks again for all your info.

I think your best bet would be to post this request to the HOF forum to get user support behind it. Global Warming mod is the only game-altering mod they added, and only because nukes and meltdowns were seen to ruin late-game play in the competitions. If you can make a case for it, maybe they'll entertain the idea. I have no pull with them, however.

im not sure if this has been answered yet...

everytime i start a game on BUFFY it says it is not suitable for HOF or something like that and to see settings under the f9 screen. there it tells me i need to uncheck modified assets... ive looked in the buffy menu and have no idea where this is. where is this.
*note, this may not be exact, im not on my civ computer*

When you start a CUSTOM GAME you must check the Lock Modified Assets game option in the bottom-center.

you must have it checked if you want your game to be accepted by the HOF ... if not, don't worry about it.

ok so just to make sure i really only need 2 do that if i wanna submit and i can only do that by playin a custom game so i can check that?

ok so just to make sure i really only need 2 do that if i wanna submit and i can only do that by playin a custom game so i can check that?

Yes and yes. You can safely ignore the HOF warnings if you aren't going to submit HOF/xOTM games. You can even turn them off IIRC in the options screen with CTRL + ALT + O.

Can the download page for BUFFY to be changed to say BUFFY is for HoF/GoTM games, and if you want to use everything in BUFFY, and don't plan on submitting to HoF, that you download BUG instead? Feel we're getting a lot of issues from people who don't really want HoF, but are liking the BUG features and think BUFFY is the only way to get them.

Can the download page for BUFFY to be changed to say BUFFY is for HoF/GoTM games, and if you want to use everything in BUFFY, and don't plan on submitting to HoF, that you download BUG instead? Feel we're getting a lot of issues from people who don't really want HoF, but are liking the BUG features and think BUFFY is the only way to get them.

The only problem with this is that BUFFY and BAT are the only ways currently to get BULL packaged with BUG. Yes, that's my fault, but it is what it is.

Top Bottom