New DLC: Polynesia

The overall point remains:
If you're taking a census, both the Tahitians and Samoans would check off "Polynesian" as their heritage.
Also, the various island kingdoms have a lot more in common with each other than Peru and Brazil do.
Also also, it would be weird to add a "Hawaiian Empire," just for the sake of not making generalizations, especially since we already have an "Indian Empire," even though India didn't exist until the 20th century. Before then it was a conglomeration of kingdoms much like Polynesia.

Totally agree with this. There has been much fighting and animosity between different social and ethnic groups within the chinese empire and we still consider this vast over-arching culture group as 'chinese'.

I remember well my days as a school boy in New Zealand the rivalry that was present between groups such as tongans and samoans. This doesn't change the fact that they think of themselves as polynesian though.

NewZealand is the modern place where people of the various polynesian groups live together in the largest numbers. I think Auckland is the most populous polynesian city on earth, fact check me though. One thing the developers probably aren't aware of is that polynesians (the maori in particular) are extremely sensitive to what they perceive as disrespect towards their culture. Something that would be written off as a harmless jest to most can often invoke accute anger and cries of heinous disrespect. This causes many to tread on eggshells when depicting, discussing or emulating polynesian cultures. There can be deep meaning to seemingly (to outsiders) innocuous elements, so if you get it wrong - look out.

Some people claim, that Egypt was the "inventor" of monotheism. I guess I don't need to mention how we all are effected by this even today ;)

Very few people claim this (as far as I know). If inventing Monotheism is enough to get you in the game then I don't understand why we don't have a Hebrew civ yet.

Very few people claim this (as far as I know). If inventing Monotheism is enough to get you in the game then I don't understand why we don't have a Hebrew civ yet.

if you've been following the polls on the 2k forums, (where the polynesia idea came from), then Israel might be coming soon

The thing I find funny about all this is that people wanted a new seafearing civilization to compete with england badly, and when they get it they complain because it's a civ that hasn't been in the games before.

Now would I have liked to see the vikings or the zulus in before the polynesians? Absolutely! I mean seriously, where the hell is shaka?! But I don't mind a civ that can cut down england's power on archipelago maps significantly.

I've been waiting for Israel since Civ III. It would be great for the middle eastern mods that would be published, especially with what is going on over there now

Totally agree with this. There has been much fighting and animosity between different social and ethnic groups within the chinese empire and we still consider this vast over-arching culture group as 'chinese'.

I remember well my days as a school boy in New Zealand the rivalry that was present between groups such as tongans and samoans. This doesn't change the fact that they think of themselves as polynesian though.

The NewZealand is the modern place where people of the various polynesian groups live together in the largest numbers. I think Auckland is the most populous polynesian city on earth, fact check me though. One thing the developers probably aren't aware of is that polynesians (the maori in particular) are extremely sensitive to what they perceive as disrespect towards their culture. Something that would be written off as a harmless jest to most can often invoke accute anger and cries of heinous disrespect. This causes many to tread on eggshells when depicting, discussing or emulating polynesian cultures. There can be deep meaning to seemingly (to outsiders) innocuous elements, so if you get it wrong - look out.

Thank you for explained what I couldnt.

Theres no "brotherhood of the polynesian", this thinking is prejudice.

Ok, its just a game.

But probably nobody here would like to be, I dont know, a austriac and play together with germany as German civ or an american and play together with england as Anglo Saxon civ.

Another @$%!&$ DLC...and no hotseat.They promised hotseat half a year ago.Where is it?

unlock new cultural wonders like the Moai stone heads of Easter Island
might just be poor wording again, but this doesn't say anything about moai statues being a building to me.
and modern polynesia definitely is impacted by ancient polynesians, just like modern americans are impacted by ancient native americans, etc. they might not be as big as the impacts of the british empire, but they're still there.

Polynesia sounds fine, they have a colorful culture etc. The scenario might be kind of neat too, its like civ with a new set of rules, though they didnt really say much about it aside from its a 4 player pangea.

I wonder how the new techs will work, it sounds to me like they are for everyone, but thats anybodies guess.

Cant complain about free stuff!

"Would have" is the key term... separating achievements from contributions... Everyone learned about european navigation.. from the europeans that spread their culture and population around the Whole globe not a measly 1/3 of it (Pacific Ocean =/= Whole globe)

The thing is, I don't think you can take historical achievement only in compared to today. I think every historical achievement should stand in relation to where others were at the time. Sargon of Akkad paled in comparison to Alexander the Great, but that doesn't mean he wasn't an important conqueror.

But I stand by my point. Without talking about cultural or population expansion, defend England's specific contributions? Or defend France's? If it were just geographic, I'd argue for something like the Aborigines in Australia or the Zulu in South Africa. But the expansion across the Pacific was so damn impressive that I think I can stand above the rest by pointing to that.

...i'm confused...if there was a concept for the "post production" of Civ5, then it's now probably gone.

What would have been logical as DLC concept?

Release what might be interesting that people might want to play as. Why does there have to be some kind of progression? There seems to be a fairly regular schedule for the artists, so they can keep releas

From what I've seen, they are adding the Moai as a unique improvement (Possibly landmark replacement) and a 'Maori Warrior' which is wielding a kickass taiaha

Good point about a unique improvement. Didn't think of that. Quite possible based on the picture. And, yes, the Taiaha was a nice touch. :D

It should be a fun added Civ, though I agree that this is probably the most disjointed one possibly ever to appear. Even in cases where the civilization did not exist in the classic sense of the word, the leader in question certainly did rule over those peoples in tote. Hiawatha did unite the Five Nations and Alexander did take over the entirety of Greece. Kamehameha never ruled most of the Polynesian people. This would be akin to making someone like Nasser the leader of an Arab nation. In both cases, the person in question was an important figure in their culture and looked to unify those peoples, but neither truly ruled the totality of their peoples.

On the flip side, we can look at leaders like Pericles as examples in past Civs of a part representing the whole.

I don't know if Hiawatha literally ruled the Iroquois. Either way, Gandhi certainly did not rule India.

Also, keep in mind in past games, we had leaders like Pericles, who did not rule Greece (the Delian League, at best, ruled maybe 2/3 or so, counting loose alliances too).

Privateer is the main reason why i stopped playing Civ4/BTS.
Cuz, i'm a Strategy buff... not a simulation watcher. Plus;Barbarians & Ruins, OFF.

I still say PRIVATEER! I got used to them in Civ4/BTS.

I liked Privateers. They were mostly useless in the last two games, though, and I doubt much will ever change (short of making them extremely dirt cheap). It was nice for flavor, but it was a flawed execution. That being said, naval diversity might make it easier to add the Dutch, should they choose to do so.

EDIT: What's wrong with Kamehameha? He united Hawaii, which is the largest clearly documented Polynesian Kingdom with a class system and bureaucracy. I hope it isn't because the turtle wave was named after him.

My problem with Privateers is similar to i.e. Musketeers: the time period in which they are useful is so short that by the time you build them and get them to the battlefield they are obsolete.

Top Bottom