Guess the New Civs

I'd guess the other four are Sumeria, Hatti (because they already did some of the work for those two), Ethiopia (they'd fit well in the fall of Rome scenario), and another African civ.

1. Who are the Hatti?

2. How does Ethiopia have anything to do with the fall of Rome?

The Hatti are the Hittites (Hittites -> Hattusa -> Hatti).

anandus speculated at the 2K forums was that the Huns might be included, given Tengriism and the fall or Rome scenario.
One of my many, many speculations ;)
Although somebody said that they could reskin the Mongols as the Huns for the scenario, which actually would make some sense.
Tengriism is Mongolian, not Hunnic. Very little is known about their religious practices
According to Wikipedia it's Monoglian-Turkic, so also the Huns, Xiongnu, Bulgars) and Hungarians [sic]. (Maybe Magyar should be used instead of Hungarians?)

(Although, to be honest, I think they chose Tengriism, not only to cover the steppe peoples, but also native American civs. I don't know the evolution of those religions, but it wouldn't surprise me if one evolved from the other or if they have a common root.)

But there's no proof (or reason to believe) that there's a direct correclation between the civs and the religions, or between the civs and the scenario's.

Although must be said that the Celts and Carthage fit well in a Rome-centered scenario (but as Louis pointed out it'd be a Rise of Rome scenario) and Byzantium would fit in very well with a medieval scenario (one of the other confirmed scenarios).
If there'd be some medieval European civ, it could be something like Hungary, Bulgaria (both coincidentally having ties with Tengriism) or Poland-Lithuania.
Also the Carolingian Empire could be an option (instead of the HRE), because Charlemagne is awesome :p But I doubt it.
Although Austria could also fit here.

Zulu might be one of the civs, just because it wouldn't be complete without ;) , the same goes for the Sioux with Sitting Bull. But maybe they're saving some 'usual civs' for another expansion pack?

And as someone already said Sumer or the Hatti could be in as they're basically half-done already. And they'd fit in as proper civs, imho.

Huns (Would be a nice addition to the Rise of Rome), Zulu (Because hey, it's Shaka!), and Sumeria and Hittite, due to already made code.

It's not who I'd like to see personally - The Sumer, Hatti and Babylonians is a bit much for the fertile crescent (All we need is the Akkadians and we've got the whole bunch), personally I'd like to see a focus on more modern Civs such as Austria-Hungary, Gran Colombia (That's back when Bolivar was in charge, not the present-day Colombia!), or Sweden. I know this is unlikely to happen - but a man can dream!

My guess:
1. Ethiopia
2. Indonesia
3. Poland / Austria
4. Phoenicia

I would love to see Brazil, but I dont think its likely.

I put my money on these three:

1) Huns
2) Hittites
3) Sumer
OR
1) Sioux
2) Kongo
3) Indonesia

and the ones I would love them to be:
1) Finland
2) Israel
3) Vietnam

Lisbon as a city state is a clear indicator for me that they are planning to put out 2-4 DLCs after release. Portugal seems to have a lot of fans and - well - Portuguese who would certainly buy it. Zulu is a fan favourite and they can make a good spearman vs. cavalry scenario with it, so another DLC. Sweden again is a modern state (=buyers) and they could do something fun with a religion&30 years war scenario. And why not have Australia or Canada could also do well. As would maybe Poland or Austria or Hungary (maybe combined Austria-Hungary) or someone else from Eastern Europe. Israel/Hebrews would also be a prime candidate for DLC (less discussion wether they are worthy...).

That said, I would say the other 3 civs are not popular ones because they might have chosen to advertise with them elsewise. An African Civ (Ethiopia or Congo - not the Moors/Morocco since we have Carthage) seems likely. An American Civ as well (Sioux, Apache or - why not as CivV adapts its civs heavily to their environment - the Inuit?). For the last one, either an ancient civ (Hethites, Assyria, Sumeria) or an Eastern European one (see the mentions above). I don't really see an Asian one (maybe Vietnam or Sri Lanka - or they pull off a strange one and put the Moghuls in)

I agree with all the people who say Ethiopia.
Africa is really underrepresented in the game. Right not we have only Songhai. Carthage will be in the espansio, but I view them more as a Mediterranian than African civ. Zulu and/or Ethopia are both likely. Zulu because everyone seems to want them in the game and Ethiopia because they are a nice contrast to the Scary Black Men or the civ franchise. They are also good candidates for a religion focused UA, seeing how they adopted Christianity a a state religion before Rome did, and their kings claimed to be descendants of King Salomon.

I would prefer Menelik II :king:

Zulu
Ethiopian
Hittite
Sumerian

I think Portugal should be in but evidence seems to point the other way - unless it's an early screenshot from before they finalized the new Civs.

What I would absolutely love:-
  • Ethiopia - black Africa is criminally underrepresented in Civ V, and the best choice I would argue is Ethiopia: an incredibly long-lived and distinctive civilisation.
  • Kongo - (or, along the same lines, the Ashanti) a new civ, a mercantile civ, and from a region that hasn't really appeared in civ games before.
  • Sioux - Just to fill out the map: Hiawatha gets an easy ride in TSL :p
  • Indonesia - Given Asia is already pretty well covered in Civ V, this (or Tibet, but seeing Lhasa in a G&K screenshot would seem to refute their being included) would be an interesting direction to take it.

My main motivation is geographical and cultural representation. While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing another European empire like Poland or Austria-Hungary appear, the expansion pack already has three European civs.

What I predict:-
  • Zulu - a Civ staple, I'd be perfectly happy if Shaka were to return. But in the interests of shaking things up, Kongo would get my preference.
  • Ethiopia
  • Sumeria - not disputing the importance of the Sumerians, the middle east is already somewhat crowded with civs.
  • Sioux - or other native american civ.

As far as post-colonial powers like Brazil and Canada go, these I probably have the least interest in. I also happen to think their chances of inclusion are pretty slim. They could be an interesting change from the usual suspects, I guess.

Like the OP, I really wouldn't want to see Mali, the Khmer or the HRE appear, simply due to clashes with pre-existing civs. I'm fairly confident that Songhai, Siam, and the German Landsknechte were always intended as alternatives to these, so I highly doubt they'll be in Gods & Kings

Lisbon as a city state is a clear indicator for me that they are planning to put out 2-4 DLCs after release. Portugal seems to have a lot of fans and - well - Portuguese who would certainly buy it. Zulu is a fan favourite and they can make a good spearman vs. cavalry scenario with it, so another DLC. Sweden again is a modern state (=buyers) and they could do something fun with a religion&30 years war scenario. And why not have Australia or Canada could also do well. As would maybe Poland or Austria or Hungary (maybe combined Austria-Hungary) or someone else from Eastern Europe. Israel/Hebrews would also be a prime candidate for DLC (less discussion wether they are worthy...).

That said, I would say the other 3 civs are not popular ones because they might have chosen to advertise with them elsewise. An African Civ (Ethiopia or Congo - not the Moors/Morocco since we have Carthage) seems likely. An American Civ as well (Sioux, Apache or - why not as CivV adapts its civs heavily to their environment - the Inuit?). For the last one, either an ancient civ (Hethites, Assyria, Sumeria) or an Eastern European one (see the mentions above). I don't really see an Asian one (maybe Vietnam or Sri Lanka - or they pull off a strange one and put the Moghuls in)

I agree with this thought process. An expansion pack is the perfect opportunity to include worthwhile but less popular civs. If they plan on continuing to develop DLC (which I presume they are), civs like Portugal are ideal choices.

With the civs revealed so far, we have three with a European culture (Dutch, Celts, Byzantines), one with a Middle-Eastern/North-African culture (Carthage) and one with a Mesoamerican culture (Mayans). As Firaxis seem to have been trying to have a more balanced selection of civilisations from around the world this time round I'd be surprised if they included any more from Europe with this expansion. In my opinion, I think the most likely possible candidates might be:

Ethiopia: Perhaps the most likely, in my opinion, as Africa is currently seriously under-represented, and could also do with a civ that isn't military-focused. They'd also fit in really well with the re-introduction of religions.

the Zulu: Although they only formed a very short lived state with only local importance, they are a 'classic' civ, having been around since the start of the series. It would be strange not to see them included. Zimbabwe may make an interesting alternative though.

the Khmer: A lot of people have discounted the Khmer already by saying that they're too close/similar to Siam, geographically and culturally. However, really they're as different in culture as, say, France and Germany, and were at one time the dominant superpower in Southeast Asia - I'd personally be really disappointed if they weren't included.

the Sioux: If Firaxis decide to include another 'Native American' civ, the Sioux may be the most likely choice as they're fairly well known, and have already appeared once before in Civ II (Also, Sitting Bull was the leader of the Native Americans in Civ IV). Possible alternatives include: the Apache/Comanche, the Pueblo and the Mississippians.

Sumeria: Another 'classic' civ - having appeared in both Civ III and IV. Could represent the Middle East.

I'd also be amazed if Portugal wasn't released as one of the first DLC after the expansion, perhaps in a double pack with Kongo? Poland, Austria-Hungary, Sweden, Italy, the Hittites, Phoenicia, Israel, the Moors/Morocco, Nubia, the Chola, the Kushan Empire, Vietnam, Tibet and Majapahit are also possibilities.

I apologise for the long post. I really wanted to get that off my chest. :blush:

Out of possible ones to save for DLC, Portugal is an obvious choice. The only choice I can think of is Sumeria. But, if they can find a language expert, Sumeria is an obvious choice to include. Plus, they already took away its scenario, making DLC more difficult.

People should stop calling Carthage African already! They were a colony of Phoenicia, which is in the Middle East.
For an African Civ, I would quite like a Berber one like Morocco or maybe someone down south (Just not the Zulu again).
In Asia Majapahit seems like a good choice.
I would also expect another medieval or early modern European nation (Poland!)
The last one will be a wild card hopefully (Bulgaria anyone?)

They're geographically African and will likely have a Berber UU. I view it the same way as America falling under American civs (culturally European, but geographically American).

In addition, the Civ series has traditionally considered Africa and the Middle East as one unit.

Dang near brings a tear to my eye. There's only two things that I haven't seen yet announced that would be awesome to hear:

Rebalance/rework Diplomacy AI (but I expect with the religion intro there will be something).
Legacy mode to improve performance on lower-end computers.

Anyway, to the guessing!

1) Zulu -- England + Dutch + Zule = Boer War Scenario, Shaka is a staple, Sub-saharan Africa is grossly underrepresented, readily known language. If they had included Portugal I would have guessed Kongo, but Dutch leads me to think Zulu.

2) Sioux -- Geographic Balance, prior civ inclusion, readily spoken language. Wonderful addition to TSL games and great potential units/improvements.

3) Khazars -- Geographic Balance (Central Asia), powerful civ, foe of Byzantium (scenario of Byzantium, Arabs, Khazars and Celts would be quite feasible), inclusion of Judaism in the new expansion.

EDIT -- I originally put Parthia, but Now I'm going to guess a middle-eastern civ either Assyria or Hittite on further reflection.

1- Zulu
2- Ethiopia
3- Sumeria
4- As a Brazilian, I would love to see Brazil as a playable Civ. What a great cultural/religious Civ we would be!

Top Bottom