Specific Techs for specific civs?

marioflag

History Addict
I wonder if it would be a good idea to make some of the civs even more specific by granting them specific techs that no other civ get and restricting a bit more their tech choices?
For example Infernal could get some new techs which are not available to any other civ, while some techs like Way of the Wise which is a tech linked with good alignment couldn't be researched.Basium could have some restrictions to Way of the Wicked and Necromancy for example but get a celestial tech.
Svartalfar could get some tech linked with recon units,while Malakim could get some new techs which are linked with desert for example.
I don't know if it would be doable but making some changes to tech tree for every civ yoy play could make every civ even more unique.

I dont think that it would be good to restrict them in their choices.
Also Hyborem gets every tech his summoner has researched when he gets summoned.
The same is true for Basium since he is allied with his summoner and gets all the techs he researched.
So its possible to bypass these restrictions (even for everyone else if they make an alliance).
However one or two specific techs for only a few civilisations might be good.

IMO some techs don't make sense particularly for Basium and Infernals just because one represent angels fighting demons and another represents simply the devil, way of wicked for example is clearly an evil aligned tech it shouldn't be available to Basium and Elohim for example.In Basium civilopedia entry there is even a narration where Basium killed 2 of his followers because they summoned a Balor.Some restrictions to tech tree for some specific civs would have a small effect on gameplay while making really a difference for flavour.

I agree that it makes sense flavor wise but as I said its to easy to bypass these restrictions.
But normally I see it that way:
Know your enemy. Learn to think like they do, to defeat them.

The thing is; it's my impression that the team wants to keep all the civs as open to player choice as possible. In other words; if you want Basium to become a demon-worshiping fanatic, turn Cardith Lorda into a slave of the Overlords or want to play the Calabim as a bunch of pious defenders of all that is good and true, then you are more than welcome to do so.

That said; adding in a few unique techs would be all fine and dandy, but I'm not so much for taking away choices.

More than any other aspect of the Fall from Heaven mod, I think it is the uniqueness of the civilations in it that makes the game so great.

For that reason, I completely understand the desire to limit tech choices for certain civilizations. Personally, I think the creation of personalized tech trees for each civilization would make the game even more fun.

Neutral civilization could be given the advantage of more diverse tech options, while the good and evil civilations could be granted more specialized but slightly more powerful choices.

Top Bottom