Marathon

I want the build time from the Normal speed but the tech time from Epic speed.

I've thought this would be good. I find that very few buildings and early wonders get built in the era they are researched, and for immersion I'd rather launch the spaceship in 2020 not 1920.

A few people online have talked about editing this file: Assets/Gameplay/XML/Gameinfo/Civ5GameSpeeds.xml

But I've tried and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the game. Has anyone done this?

That path will only modify the vanilla game files. For BNW, you would want the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML

I nearly always play Marathon.

Yeah its a long slog sometimes but its just better this way. You get a chance to use all the units for starters. I played Epic one time I think and that wasn't bad but I still went back to Marathon.

Standard?! No way.

Since I only play a few hours at night after work, I can't imagine playing Marathon. After all, a game on Epic takes me a week or so to complete. Which is difficult because when I play the game the next night, I have to familiarize myself with what transpired the night before.

So Marathon game would probably last a couple of weeks.

Even my turn 300 marathon domination win was longer than 24 hours. Even with no sleep, doing nothing but play civ, I could never have completed it in a day. I would have to pick a non-deity, small map--which for marathon I find unthinkable, except for testing purposes.

Word. Amiga civ was great. I played #1 on a DR DOS machine. That's right folks, digital research disk operating system. I was the shizzle.

Ive been on leave for the past two weeks and can maybe throw down a game a day on marathon if I play like that episode of south park and WOW. Punching out one a day, even if you are retired seems a bit crazy. Unless your resigning as soon as your on the victory lap or something.

I tend to prefer Marathon over most other speeds as well. I started as an Epic player in Civ IV, and was one in Civ V until a friend really wanted to start a co-op game in marathon instead. I ended up preferring how long units were relevant, and how long it took to build wonders in earlier eras. It felt like there was far more of an investment in them. It also makes exploration simpler, sending that scout off on a huge map, on marathon speed seems to reveal a lot more than it would on standard speed.

If a marathon game lasts say 650 turns (pretty reasonable for a dominance victory on huge map with around 8-10 AI players I said I average 700 turns but that's generally the max not the average) and you average 2 minutes per turn (I have a fast computer) than that's 1300 minutes for a game which is 20 hours which is less than 24 hours. And yes as I said sometimes I quit when it's obvious I'm going to win and I don't care about getting revenge on the other players (I tend to take out the top two players and then decide if I'm in the mood to go after everyone else). That's pretty much a worst case as in marathon your time between turns is generally pretty fast on a good computer. The first 200-300 turns go quite fast, one down side of marathon is there can be a fair amount of clicking on next turn in the early game. Also my pattern is more like play Civ for 4 or 5 days in a row then do other things on the other days, I didn't make that clear so we are talking 4-6 games a week for well...I got Civ5 just as the first expansion was coming out (but didn't probably start doing marathon for a month or two after that), so being conservative say 25 months x 4 x 4=400 games. Or let's see I've got 4391 hours clocked on steam if my average is say 16 hours per game that's still close to 300 games (but that's not a good metric sometimes I play off line --thanks ISP---sometimes I accidently leave Civ running and I have no real idea what my average game time is I'd have to say I probably quit early maybe 50% of the time or say around turn 400). It's as you see entirely possible, I don't recommend it and it helps being unable to do much else (and going days without sleep or an hour or two is normal for me). And I have a bad tendency when something goes wrong in real life to look for an earlier save file.

I do sometimes think of doing epic, but marathon just beckons me. But of late other things are interesting also (like relearning calculus just for fun). The first game I ever played on a computer was an Ancient Egypt text based 'guide your civilization' game in the 70's...you might say I got hooked then and Civ5 finally gives me my fill of that type of game (though more complex than I ever dreamed of back then).

If someone mods marathon to balance science and a few other things better please let it be known, I'd love to test it. The thing I'd really like is double or triple huge maps as exploration is often my favorite part of the game....though I expect BE to take up a lot of time soon as SciFi is my favorite genre.

One of the best things about Civ5 is how many different ways there are to play it, my big dread is it will somehow be converted to a console and many options will disappear like marathon.

If you like early eras over the latter eras and you're a warmonger, then marathon is the speed to play at.

I play almost exclusively marathon diety, only build one city with the original settler and go beat everybody up as soon as I have 4 archers and 2 spearmen. Usually win around turn 400 or so.

I find this much more enjoyable than hitting enter over and over again as a builder on any speed.

YMMV.

Top Bottom