Fulano's MoO2Civ Minimod

Yes, you are 100% correct. I'm currently looking into the terrainimpassible tag to see if it works.
I've already fixed a handful of other bugs, I want to make sure this version is very well tested.

EDIT: Looks like it worked, ground troops now "cannot enter space"

I've made it to turn 36 so far is all in the last hour fixing bugs. :)

1.5b should be a better version of the game. I played for a while testing it but didn't really get to test how balanced things are. I squished a lot of bugs that were in the last version, thanks for pointing them out to me.

You're welcome. I noticed you just put up v. 1.5, so I'll have a look. :)

Some initial comment based on the changelog:

"-Added rank promotions (Regular, Veteran, Elite, Ultra-Elite)
-Ultra-Elite requires Mrrshan promotion
-Ship specific tactics requires Regular
-Advanced Bridge requires Elete
-Advanced repair requires regular
-Other changes too, check the Civilopedia
-Make promotions more diverse and useful.
-Added immune to first strikes to Phase Cloak
-Changed ground troop promotion to strength instead of city attack & defense (so they are useful in space, troop pods)
-Added strength bonus and space defense to computer promotion
-Made transporters available to ships, added 5% city attack (transporting bombs)
"

The rank promotions look interesting. Perhaps the Elerians should start with Veteran units?

I'm not sure having ground troops fighting in space makes much sense; they're supposed to defend/attack enemy ground troops, no?

Transporters (i.e Combat Transporters) are intended to transport troops, aren't they?

Did the Elarians get an experience bonus? If they do, sure, they can start with a higher experience promotion. They don't do much now, basically they work like vanilla Civ4 where you give them combat 1, 2, 3, etc to enable other promotions.

I noticed if you give a ship the troop pods promotion they can get the ground troop promotions which help then capture ships more, but it does you no good if the promotion does +5% city attack when you're trying to capture a ship in space. The change does not make the infantry stronger or weaker, just able to be used when you board and capture a ship in space.

In MoO2 transporters were used to transport bombs onto a planet surface as well, allowing you to bomb a planet from much farther away.

I'm curious, how come you wanted to start Elarian ships at veteran?

What do you think of giving ships the "Regular" promotion when they are built if the player has a space academy? The original space academy used to give two levels of experience.

Actually, I like that. It's more useful than a 50% unit production bonus IMO.

I was thinking it might be useful to represent the Elerians' special ability - as far map reveal, I have no idea how to give the Elerians an automatic map reveal bonus on game start.

The change does not make the infantry stronger or weaker, just able to be used when you board and capture a ship in space.

So it soesn't apply to Armor/Robo-Warriors then (as they can't be used to capture another ship)?

I plan to make the next few releases of this mod only bugfix and balance tweaks so your comments on the subject are very welcome!

Actually, I like that. It's more useful than a 50% unit production bonus IMO.
I meant the space academy that gives +2 experience, not the military acadamey, though I do like the idea of the military academy giving a free promotion too. It would make it more valuable.
What do you think of this:
-Space academy gives regular promotion.
-Military academy gives veteran promotion. (I wish it could give both, but only one free promotion per building)

I was thinking it might be useful to represent the Elerians' special ability - as far map reveal, I have no idea how to give the Elerians an automatic map reveal bonus on game start.
The Elarians are an aggressive race and it would make sense to me for them to have well trained soldiers. I think it would fit to give them the regular and veteran promotion (or maybe just veteran) to start with. It would allow them to get the better promotions a little sooner. I like the idea, if you still like it I will change it.

So it soesn't apply to Armor/Robo-Warriors then (as they can't be used to capture another ship)?
It actually only applies to the promotions usually given to ground troops.

Here's the full explanation:
Spoiler :
In Civ4 the combat is calculated as a percent chance using the two fighting unit's strength (like a strength 1 vs a strength 1 has a 50% chance of winning). I'm sure you know this.
Terrain attack bonuses, city attack, city defense, etc. only apply when the unit is attacking or defending. So when a Mrrshan ship that has +50 space attack defends he doesn't get the 50% bonus. But, if the Mrrshan ship had a +50% strength bonus he would get the bonus defending and attacking.

The ground troop promotions were +5% city attack and defense. This would only benefit a unit in a city or one attacking a city. If you give a ship the troop pod promotion you can then get the ground troop promotions because you are equipping your ship with troops that can have their weapons upgraded. When that ship attacks it is trying to board and capture the other ship, that's where the ground troop promotions are useful for ships (mostly because each one has +4% to capture, the strength bonus isn't as useful.)
I didn't do this part, I just changed the promotion bonus to strength so it always applies instead of only city attack and defense. Hope that helps explain what I did.

One BtS tech (uuh...rocketry maybe, don't remember) reveals the whole map... -> starting tech.

Yes! I forgot that there is an option in the techinfos to reveal the whole map (bMapVisible). Satellites was the one that did it in BTS.

How do I give the Elerians a tech that nobody else can get? I know it can be put in the leaderheadinfos file, but can the tech be made invisible? bDisable turns the tech red so you can't click on it, or does bDisable hide the tech if it has no links to other techs? I'll have to test that one.

Please do. And I think we're in agreement as regards your previous post, so go right ahead!

And thanks to The_J for pointing that out. :thumbsup:

(Some more gameplay feedback I forgot to post: )

Although it again takes some getting used to, I like what you did with the promotions/buttons. Also I get the impression that the AI catches up nicely: there are more functional wars going on (as opposed to an AI across the galaxy declaring war, nothing happens and after x turns they agree to peace again) and up til now the AI was ahead in getting Battleships (and Destroyer IIs) well before I did.*

Did notice one thing: if you have an Invasion Ship at a sytem and you produce an Armor, it automatically loads onto it (so you need to unload it to have it actually defend there). Not sure why this is happening. (It doesn't happen with Marines, and I haven't gotten to Battleoids yet, so I don't know if it occurs/doesn't occur there.)

* In my last testgame I focused on Battleships before Battleoids instead, and now they are ahead in that, so that probably explains it.

If you set the cost of a tech to -1 and the cost to research it to -1 and disable it from being selected in Advanced Start, then you should have a completely ungainable technology.

The computer almost always gets values and bigger ships before I do. A few games ago the humans got Doomstars just after I was getting titans... They must focus way ahead in the tech tree, which is what I wanted them to do!

As with the promotion icons, CyberChrist said he was going to use actual pictures for ship part icons, which I think would be a great setup.

I did notice the ground troops get put in the transport right away as well. It is because the ground troops are not supposed to be able to be in space so the game defaults them to the transport. That's very bad if you're trying to build troops to defend yourself when an enemy fleet is knocking at your door because they won't defend the star, they just die with the troop transport. I'm going to make a post in the general modding forum for advice because I'm not sure what else to do about it.

I also think ground troops can move on asteroids. I haven't confirmed this but I know the AI captured one of my armors and a few turns later I found it sitting on an asteroid several squares away from my star. Maybe the AI just transported it there and left it to heal? Or they were marooned for mutiny? :)

Thanks, Arakhor! ;)

So I guess the AI is doing quite well then. (Personally I focus on Knowledge before Colony Ships and that usually works out.) From what I've seen (never got to Doomstars yet) they're way ahead scorewise until my systems start growing (which is what I focus on once I have 7 systems).

You may be right about the ground forces on Asteroids; I noticed they can't move in Space squares. As for defending, I don't think it's useful to have Invasion Ships around a system then, unless they're type II/III/IV and if you have any other ships there, the 'issue' doesn't occur. So as is I think this is the best way yet - barring a 'solution'.

BTW, good news from CyberChrist - I like that! :thumbsup:

The troops are fixed! When I changed them to Domain_Immoble I forgot to set the transports to be able to pick up Domain_Immoble units.

I'll get around to adding the Elarian omniscience then now that we know we can do it. Thanks for the tip Arakhor.

CyberChrist's plans do seem pretty darn awesome! I can't wait for them to be done.

Do you need any icons? I don't have time to work on mods but I can draw still :p.
That's cool to know! I actually don't want to change the icons more at the moment but I might in the near future, depending on if CyberChrist likes the promotions setup enough to keep them for his ship design system. If he does I'll try to figure out what to change them too and we will probably need some new icons.

Okay, changes made so far for version 1.5.1b:
-Added free "regular" promotion to the space adadamey
-Added free "veteran" promotion to the military acadamey
-Finally fixed the ground troops! They are DOMAIN_IMMOBILE again and they can be transported.
-Added "Elerian Omniscience" starting tech to the Elerian civilization.
-Balanced <iPower> some so the AI uses stronger units more (like doomstar and battloid)

Any other changes you guys suggest or should I upload it so it can get tested by you guys?

Good progress. ;)

Actually I think the barbs/Antarans ideally should stick with spaceships only, not ground troops. (In MoO the Antarans only destroy, not capture colonies.)

Upload when ready.*

And good to hear again from you, Deon! :)

* Actually I think you (or I) should make the minimod an official upload. I think it makes an invaluable contribution not just for v. 5.0 and on, but possibly for earlier versions. (I noticed the download count is like 1 now - being me.) At any rate it should increase feedback. But if you don't want that (for whatever reason) that's cool too.

Top Bottom