The City States of Greece

ooc: hmm poems and epics in to my glory and honour..,,, Well if multiple people were willing to do that I may deign it fit to grant a minor gift when the best poet emerges into the game....

I may give a small reward to a person who provides a suitable poem or hagiography expounding the glory of House Megakyrios or the reigning Archon :p I like hagiography as much as the next monarch and so for that I would be willing to give some reward. Although it would be much less than a fight to the death due to the loss of the amusement factor.

RP:

At last! Today there is excited murmering among the impoverished, sun scarred masses of the dry and dusty fields of Athens. The mighty Archon is willing to be entertained by poems and writings in his honor. It is rumored that any peasant may earn the favor, and possibly some Drachma, if their words are pleasing to the ruler.

Peasant 1: "I wonder, if I write a Haiku, how much is that worth?"
Peasant 2: "What if I make up an epic ballad, to rival even the timeless Aaronyssey, how much would that be worth?"
Peasant 3: "The Archon says he likes 'hagiography'. Maybe I will write something that relates the Archon to the Gods."

OOC:
to rival even the timeless Aaronyssey, how much would that be worth?"

Hmm... It may just be me, but I thought that stuff like knowing this was reserved for the nobility who can actually read it, since I doubt that the peasants are able to read?

OOC:

Hmm... It may just be me, but I thought that stuff like knowing this was reserved for the nobility who can actually read it, since I doubt that the peasants are able to read?

OOC: Another good point. Pretend it is being orated in the best traditions of ancient greece, much as the Odyssey once was.... before it was transcribed.

OOC: Good question. To be clear, I am talking about Drachma, the RP gold. The in game CiV gold will be spent to try to Advance the Greek Civilization.... I hope.

I just want to clarify that 5 drachmas is the same as 1 "CiV gold." Drachma taken out of the city's treasury will remove gold from the actual game. However Drachma coming from private sources would have no effect on the in game gold.

Sorry guys SAT this weekend so probably no update. This week though is the official end to Drama so I will actually be able to update more, and will probably update next week.

No problem. More time for the proles to write reverential poetry extolling the limitless virtues of House Megakyrios and my greatness :p For the record I have high poetic standards, some random mush that is completely arrhythmic and discordant, or some simplistic rhyme reminiscent of something a four year old would write simply will not do for the reward. Also Haiku's are completely unnaceptable for they are the products of Japan, and to use it would be to imply that Japanese culture is somehow superior to that of Athens.

OOC: Sorry for not posting in a while. I have been up to my neck with homework and projects. Here is the start of a new story.

:popcorn:One More Adventure:popcorn:
Spoiler :
Sunset after sunsets, ruler after ruler, The State of Greece will never change. Marios Mickzter Agisilaos stays at home every day hoping that he will be able to go on one last adventure. One last time to smell the fresh air and feel the soft, green leaves. To sit upon a hill and look outwards towards the vista. A feeling he had not felt in a while.

In his small little house, with a medium sized door and open windows, lay the bored Marios. At the age of 17, he still had a whole life to live. But after each day that passes, he starts growing old and starts to get agitated. This cannot be the rest of my life, he thought to himself. But each passing day that thought was become a reality.

A man was walking on the road. He was quite tall, buff but not to buff like bodybuilders but more like a man who could defend himself. He wore old sandals and a relatively new robe. He was a good-looking man, especially for his age. 38 was his age, but he did not show signs of weakness that any ageing man would. His hair was short on the sides and medium on top. He was clean shaven and had no pimples. The road he walked down was a dirt road, stones everywhere and the odd branch. On the sides were dried up bushes, dying in the heat of the sun. He walked down the road and came to a four way crossing. He looked at the sign. It was wooden but was starting to rot. The name was in-graved and painted black. He looked at the sign and it read the name of the place where he’d be going. Athens. He looked at it for a while and thought whether he had chosen the right man. A couple seconds later he turned right on his way to Athens.

“Anyone home…Hello…Anyone home?” a voice cried outside of Marios’ home. The man stood there, waiting for a reply. He knocked, twice. Still no reply. He sighed, looked down and turned around to leave. “Yes, what do you want?” a deep, irritable voice was heard behind the man.

“Marios! My long lost friend!” the man replied.

“Zantheus! It’s been a long time. Please come in” Marios smiled for the first time in a while.

The two talked for an hour, chatting about their lives and catching up on recent events. Zantheus was Marios’ friend in Ersos. They were like father and son. They did everything together, hiking, sword-fighting and much more. Ever since Marios left, they did not see each other.

“Marios, I need you to do me a very big favour.” Zantheus asked.

“Yes, anything my friend.”

“I need you to come with me. I am on mission; I need to retrieve a lost artefact. I cannot tell a lot about it but this artefact could bring riches and joys to Ersos. And when the people of Ersos see you with this artefact, they will welcome you back with open arms. You and I can live together and rule Ersos. What do you say?” Zantheus said. He was hoping for a scram of joy but Marios remained silent.

“As much as I would love to go back to Ersos, my heart is in Athens. This is my home now. I can’t go back. Especially after what had happened when I left. I must stay. I cannot go back.” Marios replied. He was dying to go an adventure but he could not return to Ersos.

“Fine, don’t go back to Ersos, but still come with me. I cannot do this alone. Please Marios, like the old times.” Zantheus was begging him now and Marios had no choice. “Ok I will go but I will not go to Ersos. Understood?” Marios replied, excited about going. “Thank you Marios, you won’t regret it. Now go and pack your things, quickly.”

The two set off for the adventure and walked down the dirt road. They carried everything they might need. They walked down and Marios smiled. He finally was going on an adventure. But little did he know that the rattling of the bushes was not an animal. They were being watched. And this person was not Greek. He had sharp eyes and a red circle on his shirt. He spoke fast, very fast. And he was in for the kill.

Athens was happy, and their Archon held strong public approval. He recently rose Phillipos Noctus Demandros to the position of Noble. The news of this spread quickly, and though the people celebrated the Archon for this there wasn't a noble to be found amongst the jubilation. It seems that they were less then enthusiastic about his rise. In other news, the Archon visited Athens 4 where he gave medals of honor to the veterans of the Battle of Troy. It is said that some of the battle hardened veterans were brought to tears from such an honor, and they made a great toast to their Archon. Finally Gennadios Magnive Plousios was ordered on a mission to Seoul, and is currently preparing for the trip.

Updated Property Map:
Spoiler :

Note: I'm going to start changing Orating skill to Rhetorical Skill.

Public Speech

-

I have concluded my investigations into the proposals for popular representation. My inquiry has found that this proposal comes from a small but vocal group from amongst the populace rather than being the consensus "of the people" or a majority view. As such I see little reason why I should act upon the revisionist views of a minority and impose such a thing on the entirety of the people. Radical change never ends well, for when a house has been built, yes it may have some problems and need repair every one and a while, but it is the height of folly to cast it down only to find you have no plans to build a new house from the ashes of the old, which was perfectly fine to begin with. Furthermore I will not be the instrument of the imposition of a certain ideological view on the whole of the people. A rulers job is to rule and to be a guardian of right virtue in the implementation of the divine law, not to partake in the culture wars that may emerge in society or impose arbitrary positions on the people.

Now I understand that individuals such as one Alexius of the hills district may feel they desire regional popular representation due to the feeling of disenfranchisement perhaps due to the circumstances of their habitation. But I would tell them that they should be rest assured in the certain knowledge that their father Archon is not blind to their needs, indeed the hills district is privy to the first development in all Athens precisely due to a promise to ensure that this districts people would not be left behind. Be faithful in your Archon and loyal to his reign and you shall prosper and be glad, and be the recipients of his fatherly benevolence, those who would burn the house down should do well to remember this, as should nobles who may hold to certain erroneous opinions about the Archons reward of nobility to those who serve Athens as great exemplars either with good words or good deeds.

Either way, I will not be changing the current system to the proposed popular representation when for the most part, and save in the minds of a minority, there is no problem.

In response to the Archon's call for great literary works, Philipos Demandros stands outside the palace to recite the greatest work of Greek poetry ever composed.
Spoiler The Megakyriad :
In the great palace of brave Athens’s city sits Agamemnon Megakyrios, noble of brow and keen of glance.
Lonely his regency has been, ruling in the stead of the sharp minded Prota as the founder journeys to the distant lands of the lacquer-armoured Japanese.
Wide are flung the doors as sly Ainos, son of sharp minded Prota, makes his entrance.
“Hail to you, o son of our founder” says noble browed Agamemnon
“And hail to you, regent for my father,” replies sly Ainos
“What brings you before me?” asks noble browed Agamemnon
“Wise has been your rule, o regent, but as I have come of age it is time for you to step aside so
I may assume rule of brave Athena’s city,” answers sly Ainos
“O son of sharp minded Prota, the regency of brave Athena’s city was entrusted to me. The founder has not given orders for you to assume the mantle and burden of the regent. Until such word comes I must continue to do my duty.” responds noble browed Agamemnon
“Word shall come. I shall rule brave Athena’s city.” retorts sly Ainos as he leaves noble browed Agamemnon’s presence.

Twice comes rosy fingered Dawn and once more the doors are flung wide as sly Ainos enters into the presence of noble browed Agamemnon.
“O noble browed Agamemnon, my father writes. He orders you to step aside and pass to me the duties of regency.” says sly Ainos
“Very well, o son of sharp minded Prota, will you allow me to read the letter?” requests noble browed Agamemnon
Sly Ainos passes the letter of sharp minded Prota to noble browed Agamemnon.
“Sly Ainos, I find the timing of this letter most suspicious but for the benefit of brave Athena’s city I will accede power to you and trust brave Athena to see that you do not abuse it.” responds noble browed Agamemnon.

Summers heat fades and news come to brave Athena’s city. Sharp minded Prota has passed over the Styx and into cold Hades’ realm. Noble browed Agamemnon speaks before the great palace.
“Children of brave Athena. Our lord and founder, shard minded Prota, has passed into cold Hades’ realm. I charge his unruly child, sly Ainos, to accede the lordship of brave Athena’s city unto me. Sly Ainos lacks the capacity to rule, resorting to forging his own fathers name to acquire the regency. Should sly Ainos dispute my capacity I call on him to answer my challenge with arms before the monument of brave Athena so She may judge who is to rule Her city.”
Craven in his cowardice, sly Ainos declines to answer the challenge.

Rosy fingered Dawn comes. A proclamation is made before the great palace.
“The regent recognises that an oversight exists in the Syntagma. The regent calls on all citizens of brave Athena’s city to submit succession methods for the rulership of brave Athena’s city.”
“Sly Ainos still displays his cowardice and refuses to join in single combat before brave Athena’s monument. He shows he is unfit to rule.” responds noble browed Agamemnon.

Thrice comes rosy fingered Dawn. A change in the air disturbs great-hearted Pericles during his ablutions. He turns, keen edged dagger in hand, prepared to defend his home. Before him stands brave Athena, wreathed in Olympian light. The keen edged dagger slips from great-herted Pericles’ fingers and bounces on the cool stones of the floor.
“Son of noble browed Agamemnon, heed my words. On this day when the sun stands at its’ highest point you must attend your father at the megalis. Remain with him ‘til the grey grasp of Dusk embraces the sun.” speaks brave Athena
“O brave Athena, I do not understand. It is my duty to watch my fathers house and protect our women, why do you ask me to shirk it?” asks great-hearted Pericles
“If you do as I ask great glory will come to your house and my city. Do otherwise and you risk both falling into ignominy and being buried beneath the deserts shifting sands.” responds brave Athena.
“O brave Athena, I shall do as you ask.” responds great-hearted Pericles
Brave Athena nods, takes the keen edged dagger from the cool stones and returns to Olympus.

The fierce noon sun bakes brave Athena’s city and great-hearted Pericles makes haste to the chamber of the Megalis to attend his father. At their home his mother, brother and sister prepare for their midday repast.

The grey grasp of Dusk embraces the sun. Great-hearted Pericles and noble browed Agamemnon return to their home, thoughts of family and food filling their minds. In the central courtyard the table is prepared. Around it motherly Elektra, fair Athena and strong Athantos recline as if already satiated.
“Mother, sister, brother, are we so tardy that you have already begun?” asks great-hearted Pericles
“Why do you not respond?” enquires great-hearted Pericles
Noble browed Agamemnon approaches the table, no sign of life he sees. From his pouch he takes six oboloi, silently covering the eyes of his fallen family.
“O brave Athena, how cruel you are. Why would you ask me to leave my family on the day they pass to cold Hades’ realm?” laments great-hearted Pericles
Noble browed Agamemnon bows his head.
“O son of mine, though I grieve the loss of our family I rejoice that brave Athena has allowed you to be spared. I smell poison on their lips, had you not attended me you too would have passed to cold Hades’ realm and the Megakyrioi would soon become but a memory.” speaks noble browed Agamemnon.

Rosy fingered Dawn comes. News spreads through brave Athena’s city. The regent has been slain during the night by a keen edged dagger. All agree that noble browed Agamemnon is the Prinkipas. The Prinkipas introduces a new syntagma, naming himself Archon. The Archon banishes the son of sly Ainos, foolish Homer.

Four times the cool of winter comes and passes. The rule of noble browed Agamemnon has been wise and fair. The Archon is held in honour by the people of brave Athena’s city.
A proclamation is read outside the great palace. “The Archon, noble browed Agamemnon, has passed into cold Hades’ realm. Great-hearted Pericles is now Archon.”

Rosy fingered Dawn comes. A stranger comes to the city.
“People of brave Athena’s city. With the passing of the usurper I return to claim the title of Prinkipas as last held by my grandfather, sharp minded Prota.” announces foolish Homer
Foolish Homer is taken by the city guards and brought before the Archon.
“My fathers judgement was not repealed, o last of the Fotismenoi, why have you returned? Did you think noble browed Agamemnon was the only survivor of your fathers craven assassination?” enquires great-hearted Pericles
“O Archon, I believed with your noble fathers passing I might be shown clemency and permitted to reside once more in brave Athena’s city.” answers foolish Homer
“So you begin by claiming rulership of that same city. No, foolish Homer, you have writ your own doom. My fathers judgement stands, to the gallows with you. Soon you shall see dark Charon’s lamp.” responds great-hearted Pericles
Craven in his cowardice, foolish Homer falls to his knees and begs for his life. Great-hearted Pericles turns away, knowing the law cannot waver at the whim of man.

Rosy fingered Dawn comes. Foolish Homer passes into cold Hades’ realm. The people rejoice that the cursed children of sharp minded Prota will no longer trouble brave Athena’s city. Songs are sang in honour of great-hearted Pericles who shall rule brave Athena’s city for many summers.

Hmm this is a fitting poem and well worthy of a reward. However for the sake of competition and so that none may accuse us of favouritism we must await new works of poetry extolling the virtues of the gods, and the glory of the Megakyrioi in days to come.

may your excellence in the literary arts spur others to do the same. For a reward remains open to those who seek it. I shalt leave the competition open to the next sitting of the areopagus, all may make their poetic offerings before that time to be considered for the reward of 50 drachma.

Welcome to CSOG I hope you have a good game :goodjob:, you may also bow down in my general direction as the whim takes you :p

Public Speech

-

After discussions with the military I have concluded that the organisation of the army needs an overhaul from its current form. As such I have developed a governing protocol in regards to teh internal organisation of individual divisions in the army.

-

DIVISION STRUCTURE

:Each Division is to be run by a commander who is in charge of overall command of the troops in the division. Under him is to be 10 Brigades, each under their own Colonel who is in charge of maintaining order in the ranks and the training of their particular brigade. He is also responsible for the minutiae of tactical command on the field of battle for their brigade in accord with the overall command of the Commander over the total division. The Colonels are to appoint 10 captains each who will be responsible for individual companies within the Batallion which shall serve as groupings for smaller scale missions, and which shall likewise serve to advance the cause of fraternity and comraderie amonst the ranks by establishing bonds of brotherhood and friendly competition amongst the division providing the means for cohesiveness within the whole, and conditions that encourage good warriors.

[ooc: So we have the overall division which is divided into 10 batallions which in turn are divided into 10 companies each level being run by a Commander, Colonels and Captains respectively]

Commanders of a division are to be chosen by the Archon based on the advice of the outgoing commander and the colonels, or should one be absent due to death in battle he is to be chosen on the advice of the colonels. Colonels are to be chosen from the captains of the companies within the individual batallion lacking a colonel by the Commander upon the advice of the standing colonels. Captains are chosen by the Colonel of the relevant division.

To implement this change, I charge the current Commanders (I am not changing commanders) of each division to appoint as colonels those from amongst their mens number who are most versed at strategy, and who are known as leaders of men. This should be done irrespective of their social rank and ne based solely on the mens own merits. These men shall then be charged then to appoint captains as they desire.

[ooc: I choose commanders, commander choses colonels, captains chosen by colonel. As of now Commanders shall remain, they are charged to appoint colonels based on merit, who can then choose whoever they want as captains {preferably on merit}]

-

Overall army command shall remain the province of the Archon as Supreme Commander of Athens. However in the future once our army is expanded beyond counting it may come to pass that the Archon appoints a Strategos or even multiple Strategoi to manage several divisions of the army in a co-ordinated way.

However as of now this is not in effect, and the changes shall solely be to establish an organised hierarchical structure within each individual division to ensure the discipline of the troops, and to establish order in the hope that those who command must have the ability to do so to have a chance to ascend to a higher position.

Filli_Noctus gains 12 prestige for his stories!
Aaronius gains 14 prestige for his stories!
Mickzter gains 5 prestige for his stories!
Tambien gains 5 Prestige for his stories!

With the rising of the Demandros house there are now five noble houses in Athens. The lines between these houses grows more blurry as they continue to inter-marry, and this recent year has seen many marriages between them. In other news, the Archon refused entrance to the Areopagus to the commoners. Though it was supposedly proposed by ‘the people’, this event passed by with little notice by them. Finally, following the Reorganization of the Army, it is said that many minor nobles are opting to join the military. And yet another day has passed in Athens.

Welcome Ben!

Nobles:
Spoiler :

Here is the link to the family tree: http://www.familyecho.com/?p=U9L45&c=uobsx3mfks&f=241926774677476467
To use it go to the bottom of the window and select the drop-down box next to "Show:" and choose one of the following depending on the info you want:
  • Age - Choose "Telephone"
  • Occupation - Choose "Profession"
  • Property - Choose "Company"
  • Traits - Choose "Interests"
The information will show up under the name of each person. It should always start with the Family Tree of the Current Leader of Athens.

Updates:
I have updated the game with a system of traits for the male NPCs. There are 17 good traits, 17 bad, and 11 neutral traits. I will not go into detail on what exactly each trait does (though most of them are self-explanatory). This system will help me better to role-play from the standpoint of NPC nobles, and will help bring flavor to the game.

Here is a list of traits I have come up with:
Spoiler :
Good: Just, Fertile, Energetic, Pious, Honest, Chivalrous, Loyal, Eloquent, Frugal, Rational, Brave, Intelligent, Natural Leader, Industrious, Hearty, Zealous.

Bad: Hothead, Slothful, Xenophobic, Deceitful, Impious, Incompetent, Paranoid, Gambler, Cowardly, Crewel, Drunkard, Gluttonous, Prideful, Uncouth, Irrational, Sickly, Unchivalrous.

Neutral: Moderate, Liberal, Conservative, Country Bumpkin, City-Slicker, Adventurous, Bold, Cautious, Extravagant, Plain, Ambitious.
If you can think of any to add please PM me, along with a short description of how the trait might influence behavior. I’d like to keep an even number of good and bad, so if you come up with a trait try to come up with its anti-trait.

In Addition, I have updated the way I present NPCs in the SG. Information about each NPC can now be found on Family Echo. This new format more easily conveys the current situation, and is convenient when trying to remember general information about the NPC Nobles. I will also add player family trees if they somehow connect to that of the general noble gene pool. I will add this link to every session update so everyone can easily access it, it can also be found in the SG in the “Hellenic Families” Topic. I will start a new tree for each new city.

Note: Prestige Awards to be added.

~Troublesome Neighbors~

Turn Report:
Spoiler :

T79- Met the Russians!

T82- Discovered Bronzeworking! Discovered Mecca.

T89- Completed Archer! Work Started on Settler! Settler Production sped to 20 turns!

Approached by Japanese!

• Standard of Living - Average
  • Literacy Rate - Average
  • Culture Strength - High

Over the years Athenians gained a new respect for their culture. Long since the founding of Athens many stories have been told and created at the campfires. The myths of ancients, the Aaronyssey, the Epics of Mickzter and Tambien, were all celebrated for their contribution to Greek culture. This new wave of cultural awareness was brought about by Philipos Demandros, who more recently created his own work. The people hailed him as a patron of the Arts, and found a new respect for him and his family.

News in Athens travelled quickly; the Emperor Sejong of Korea is coming to Athens! When the people heard they prepared for his arrival. What would this new people teach us? How would the Archon receive the first foreign royalty to come to Athens? It was said that Lord Agapetos Kosta would be organizing a tournament for War-Ball, and that the other Nobles would be following suit with banquets, festivals, and works of poetry. Athens was abuzz with rumors about this new people.The delegation arrived one bright afternoon. It was large. The emperor sat atop a throne carried on the shoulders of four hulking Koreans. Behind them there was a large entourage of scholars, entertainers, calligraphers and warriors. They made their way slowly and steadily through the city until they reached the palace. The Emperor then had himself lowed to the ground and he arose and himself walked into the palace.

Upon completion of the Archer unit in Athens the Archon commanded that a group of citizens start gathering the supplies need to create another Greek settlement. When the people heard this they grew excited. For generations the Greek world had been confined to one city and the people were ready to expand. With a new city came new opportunity: new lands, new resources, and new wealth. The populace of Athens grew industrious at the thought of this prospect. They increased production upon this unit so much so that they cut its production time in half from 40 turns to 20 turns. (And the wise and caring Dot80 was celebrated for taking mercy on those on the waiting list)

Finally, News of the Japanese settler to the north spread quickly through Athens. The Japanese were meaning to settle on the river to the north. Apparently under orders from the Archon, the Greek unit to the North refused to let them pass. Many said that the shogun himself road out to the meeting to talk with the commander. In addition, reports from the east say the Japanese are now allied with the Polish of Warsaw. The people weren’t sure how to take this. Why was the Archon, in all his wisdom, blocking the Japanese from settling in a far off land? Shouldn’t he be more worried about what is happening in Athens? Will the polish pose a threat to Athens in the case of war? No word from the Warrior unit has been received.

Issues:
  • What are we going to do about the Japanese?
  • What are we going to do about the Koreans?
  • Who is going to get control of the new wheat tile?
  • What are the orders for the new Archer Unit?
  • What are the new orders for the scouts?

Athens City Screen:
Spoiler :

Strategic Map:
Spoiler :

Property Map:
Spoiler :

Nobles:
Spoiler :

Here is the link to the family tree: http://www.familyecho.com/?p=U9L45&c=uobsx3mfks&f=241926774677476467
To use it go to the bottom of the window and select the drop-down box next to "Show:" and choose one of the following depending on the info you want:
  • Age - Choose "Telephone"
  • Occupation - Choose "Profession"
  • Property - Choose "Company"
  • Traits - Choose "Interests"
The information will show up under the name of each person. It should always start with the Family Tree of the Current Leader of Athens.

Tech Tree:
Spoiler :

Ethnic Groups:
Spoiler :
The Athenians
The Athenian people are said to be the blessed descendants of the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena. According to the ancient legends, Athena gave the people the name of Athens, and the symbol they still use, the Owl of Wisdom. The Athenian language is still ancient Greek, with a few new words thrown in. The Athenian religion is what is considered pagan, but Athena is still the major figure in the Athenian religion. The average city dweller makes an adequate income, while spending most of his days working. Oral tradition is strong in Athens, and many stories are passed from generation to generation over the campfire. Athenian women, starting at the age of 10, are taught domestic chores they will be expected to perform for the rest of their lives. The food of Athens is the best in the known world, and it focuses on wheat and the fish that can be found in deeper waters. Athenian chefs have managed to find a variety of "spices," some even coming from the desert to the west of the city. One of the favorite dishes of the people is Palla, a cooked fish with desert cinnamon and much salt put on top. It is inexpensive and very good. Recently the Athenians created a game by the name of War-Ball. War-Ball is a game where players take a woven grass ball and try to run it to the other end of the field. The only rules are that players cannot go out of bounds, and that they cannot destroy the ball. The game is very brutal and players regularly die from intense internal bleeding, and snapped necks, nevertheless the people love it. There are only two major teams, the Giants (who represent the city) and the Patriots (who represent the country). With the implementation of the tradition social policy the Athenians started to mark and celebrate annual national holidays. Prota Festival celebrates the founding of Athens and the almost Mythical founder who lead the people to civilization.

The Japanese
The Japanese are an honor oriented, sea fairing folk. They devote their lives to their craft and are highly skilled in whatever they do. At the top of their social hierarchy is their Shogun, leader of the army; then the Emperor, a spiritual leader; then the Daimyos, the lords and captains of units; and finally the peasants. In Japan the warriors are well respected, and hold a high place of honor. The local cuisine is mostly casseroles made from berries and herbs found in the wild and fish, the staple food of the empire. The Japanese speak a fast language, and it is still true to the Japanese of ancient times. The Japanese have little time for hobbies, but their most enjoyed past time is creating balls of polished mud, Dodorangos. After the Adoption of the Warrior-Code Social Policy the power-structure grew more decentralized. Each Daimyos holds more power over his lands than the shogun or the Emperor.

Polish
The people of Warsaw are an off mixture of Japanese and Greek. Though closely allied with the Shogunate of Japan, their culture much more resembles that of the Greek city of Athens.

Indians
The only knowledge of them is that they live in a far off land, dominated by social and economic castes, and great and powerful deities. Recent visits from Indian Units reveal that in their culture Warriors held a high place in society.

The Spanish
Little is known about these people, accept that they hail from the south. Their brief visit in Athens didn't reveal much, only that they though themselves better then other races. They also had a fierce devotion to their pagan gods.

Egyptians
Reports from the scouts tell of a strange land to the West. It is ruled by an all powerful god-king Pharaoh, and beneath him are the priests, and beneath them the peasant. Though there is a small class of merchants and artisans, the majority of Egyptians live as slave-peasants. The local cuisine of Egypt is nothing remarkable. They have little in the way of recreation, but they do create a monument in tribute to the founder of each city.

Belgians
Little is known about the Belgians. They currently only inhabit the city-state of Brussels. Reports say they are religious and they worship their ancestors as the Paragons. They are very hospitable to outsiders, and in general are very musically inclined.

Russians
Little is known about the Russians. Their nation is located in the south in a hard land, abundant with game.

Koreans
The Koreans are located in the lands east of Athens. They are an inquisitive group of people, and rumor is that they even have a system of symbols they use to impart, record, and communicate their thoughts with others. Finally, in their local culture Elephant is a delicacy and is traditionally made into a dish called Kokkili

Holy crap. I can't do but wait for Collective Rule ... :(

I wish to be informed as to what can be purchased with our gold reserves. ;)

-

in other news that great general makes the situation rather untenable, the archer division is to go forth with all haste to support them in the scenario that worst comes to worst and we must go to war with Japan for the future of our people. In the meantime I shall send an emissary (messenger) to negotiate with the Shogun in an attempt to find a pacific solution to this problem deciding what to do with our warriors who are guarding the way on the basis of those negotiations.

ON SETTLERS AND TAXES

OOC: Do not count the turns to your upliftance until they have passed ;).

I see fit in light of Japanese aggressions to raise a 10% special tax in addition to the 10% security tax already in place. It pains me to add a burden to our people, but in light of the situation and in light of the increasing development of our lands, it is my hope that the burden shall turn out to be minimised by improvement. Furthermore the archonate shall be finding a use for that trojan gold it appropriated, those who are prepared to begin a new life outside of Athenian governance would do well to begin their preparations.

-

oh, and I will deal with everything else that needs to be dealt with later.

Top Bottom