SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

nice 1 anyhow ill sleep this eve and play the turns and post b4 uni tomoz so i wont keep any1 waiting, my thanks for yer understanding and patience.

mr Tweed said:
. nice job with the turns so far tallanas ( btw u do know that caesers first name was gaius , im afraid im ignorant to a tallanas)

Off-topic for a sec :)

Yep, I know all about Caesar. In fact, I know about many of the Caesars (I have a Master's in Ancient History ;) )

Just to explain - Tallanas is a character from a novel, and my board name of choice, and the quote in my sig is a parody of Caesar's supposed "Veni, vidi, vici" comment. So don't worry, there wasn't really a Tallanas Caesar, just a silly remark in a board sig!

As for the dotmaps - how about we get one that just shows all the RCP5 city sites - I think it looks fairly good, and the land mass seems large enough to get a full ring in. Maybe another at 9 and we are looking good. No, not good - excellent :)

Tal

I think this is right for RCP5... what do you all think?

Attachments

• ScoutRCP5.JPG
    ScoutRCP5.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 189
@ Tal- You beat me posting the exact same ring diagram by two minutes! All my sorry Photoshop work down the drain ;)

I agree that's all the RCP 5 sites not on mountains. I think if we went with RCP 5 and 9 we would have a powerhouse later. Hopefully we can get there before the other civs try to get us.

@Tal: most of those look like RCP5 sites... the one 2N of the gold hill looks off, but without the gridlines it's a little hard for me to tell.

I'll post one this evening at RCP4 for the team to compare. I'm not dogmatic about RCP4, but a tighter inner ring might be easier to get everything connected, and allow us to use more of our terrain earlier.

Oh yea, almost forgot......... Those mood badges can be found here. Those only work for Civ/PTW though.

Tallanas: My apologies, I guess I misread your post. I thought you roaded the game before irrigating it.

Gengis Khan said:
Oh yea, almost forgot......... Those mood badges can be found here. Those only work for Civ/PTW though.

Tallanas: My apologies, I guess I misread your post. I thought you roaded the game before irrigating it.

Thanks for the link - makes things a little easier to spot - no more rioting, I hope!

And don't worry about the misunderstanding - reading turn logs without playing along with them is confusing as hell :confused:

Now I'm looking forward to seeing what Mr Tweed can come up with...

Tal

Attachments

• ScoutRCP5+4.JPG
    ScoutRCP5+4.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 175
@Tal: Nice dotmap :thumbsup:

Since I already prepared mine, I'm going to post it, with these questions:

1) How many luxuries are claimed with the 7 cities I've laid out?
2) How many of these 7 cities will require aqueducts to grow?
3) How many of these cities have at least 1 non-jungle tile to work while our workers hack away at the jungle?

Note that I'm focusing on nine-tile city radii, because we pay full price for temples; our first cultural improvements in these cities will likely be libraries, and it will be a while before we build those...

Attachments

• scout_SGOTM2_scouts_RCP4.jpg
    scout_SGOTM2_scouts_RCP4.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 206
1) Initially one ivory, one spices, but two ivory eventually after the NW city grows to 21 tiles...

2) Only 3 out of 7 will need aqueducts...

3) Here's the problem - 3 of those city sites are initially terrible. The bottom two: on the left, there is one BG, then jungle and mountain; on the right, there is just spices *in* jungle... And the one East of berlin has only got the game overlap as a decent square, but I see Berlin using that all the time... Anyway, in answer to your question, all bar two. Well, arguably, all bar one :)

By the way, is it ok to have both RCP4 and RCP4.5 cities?

Another question - how do you shrink down images before posting them? I would rather my monster images were a little easier on the formatting of this thread :)

Tal

Hehe, this is damn confusing! At least it illustrates why dotmaps are a good idea for an RCP plan :crazyeye:

*edit* Hmm, my text did not come out that well... save the image, then use the zoom within paint to see it more clearly... But to spell it out even more, the red units are diagonal, therefore costing 1.5 each, and the green units are orthogonal, therefore costing one each...

Attachments

• scouts_RCP4taledit.JPG
    scouts_RCP4taledit.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 153
Double post, again... Anyway, one final dotmap, then I'm hanging up my MSPaintbrush :)

Yellow dots are RCP5, red dots are RCP4.

What's frustrating about this map is that what's best in one direction is not so hot in others :help:

For instance, to the NW, towards the ivory, the two yellow sites are very powerful, and easily linked - both have fresh water, and they waste little land through overlap. Having said that, the single red site there by the ivory would be a powerhouse once expanded to 21 tiles.

But to the NE, and the wheat by the river, the yellow dot is best - it's on the river for a start, and can use the wheat square immediately. Once expanded, the BG and hills make a nice rounded city. In comparison, the two red sites are weaker.

But the 3 yellow sites south of Berlin stink, pretty much. Surrounded by jungle and mountains, only one of the 3 is on a river... further away from Berlin, so more work to do to improve them... Bah!

Ok, over to you guys, I'm going to let you guys get your thoughts in now :)

Attachments

• scouts_RCP4vs5zoom.JPG
    scouts_RCP4vs5zoom.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 188
10 turns from tweed.
turn 0 2550 bc, micromanage reserach for extra gold.
turn 1- 2510 bc, 1st settler built, horseback riding started at min research, got the wheel no horses nearby, made contact with the tzaress of russia and i traded wheel for ceremonial burial +14 gold, stated to build 2nd settler in berlin.
turn 2-2470 bc, moved settler+warrior nw towards ivory, micromanaged shield/food to reduce settler build time while optimizing growth.
turn 3-2430 bc, move warriors.
turn 4-2390 bc, worker finishes wheat irrigation and start wheat road, mm shields to get the settler 1 extra turn.berlin grows to size 4 use lux slider tp prevent anarchy.
turn 5-2350 bc, move units.
turn 6-2310 bc, Leipzig founded, set up queue to produce a temple,woker,barracks,archers. 2nd settler made, heading north.move worker s/e.
turn 7-2270 bc, woker builds road on bonus grassland nxt to berlin.
turn 8-2230 bc, hamburg founded,set to build temple, barbarian hordes attack leipzig our warrior nearly dies but gets promoted instead hussar!
turn 9-2190 bc, belin builds warrior send him east along montain ridge to scout out stuff.
turn 10-2150 bc, move units. berlin to size 4 nxt turn 3rd settler in 4 turns, 3 cityies sofar.
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm2/scout_SG002_BC2150_01.SAV
link to nxt sav.

By the way, is it ok to have both RCP4 and RCP4.5 cities?
RCP x.5 is rounded down. An RCP "4.5" is a 4, a 5.5 is a 5, etc.
Another question - how do you shrink down images before posting them? I would rather my monster images were a little easier on the formatting of this thread :)
That utility that Mad-Bax pointed out is a new one on me. I have been using the "Z" zoom feature in the game to simply zoom out before taking a screencap...
Double post, again... Anyway, one final dotmap, then I'm hanging up my MSPaintbrush :)Hmmm... back to this in a bit...
What's frustrating about this map is that what's best in one direction is not so hot in others :help:This is a tricky map to analyze, and harnessing the power of the terrain will be tough with a non-industrious civ. We need a worker factory...
But to the NE, and the wheat by the river, the yellow dot is best - it's on the river for a start, and can use the wheat square immediately. Once expanded, the BG and hills make a nice rounded city. In comparison, the two red sites are weaker.

@ Tal - if you have time - would you mind doing a dotmap with the gridlines at RCP5? Gengis PMd me yesterday, and I know for a fact that he wants us to consider RCP5...

If you can, do the little 9 tile squares around the potential city sites. I find that helps visualize how many cities you can get in a ring and what terrain those cities will have immediately...

scoutsout said:
This is a tricky map to analyze, and harnessing the power of the terrain will be tough with a non-industrious civ. We need a worker factory...

@ Tal - if you have time - would you mind doing a dotmap with the gridlines at RCP5? Gengis PMd me yesterday, and I know for a fact that he wants us to consider RCP5...

If you can, do the little 9 tile squares around the potential city sites. I find that helps visualize how many cities you can get in a ring and what terrain those cities will have immediately...

Ok, will do this later this afternoon, and yes, I agree about the worker factory - it's goig to be vital...

Tal

@mrTweed: we must have cross-posted when you posted your turnlog. Could you please post a screenshot so the rest of us can see what our world looks like?

hey i know its a noob question but i aint got a clue about how to get a screenshot whilst in game, also all of my resource icons r a little screwy, ive got ivory coming out as uranium and spices as aluminium, only the icons are changed so when i say build a road to the ivory it registers as ivory but looks like uranium. nevermind bout the icons anyhow, just a little help on screenshot taking would be appreciated.

Assuming you're in Windows, you can hit the <Print Screen> button to do a screen capture. You can then open up an image editor and hit <Edit> <Paste> and it will paste the screenshot into the image editor. The image editor that Mad-Bax provided a link to is freeware, if you need an image editor. (Or you can use MS Paint...)

Edit: Cross-posted with Tal

Hit Print screen, then paste into Paint or some other editor...

Tal

Attachments

• Scoutcurrent.JPG
    Scoutcurrent.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 154
Top Bottom