More RAM or new video card?

Dan4GS

Chieftain
I don't necessarily have any bugs/problems with Civ 5, it's just that it takes forever to load (~2 minutes before main menu loads) and the time in between turns is approximately 15-20 seconds. Also, there's a lag of 3-4 seconds after I move units before it auto selects the next unit for orders, although I've found if I move a unit and hit "W" it'll go to the next unit much quicker.

So the question is, does it sound more like I need more RAM or a new video card? I've got a Dell 4600 with 4 GB of RAM...no idea what my video card is. All graphics are currently at lowest settings and the leader scenes are just pictures, non movement.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Probably neither ;)

Sounds like either your CPU isn't up to CiV, or a messed up system.

Full systems specs would be helpful for more detailed advice.

Thanks for the reply! As it stands, I seem to have messed up my computer while running the windows error tester and interrupting the process... now windows won't start. -sigh-

Once I get that problem resolved I'll try to post specs. Thanks for feedback!

One other note: The above mentioned delay is happening on standard sized maps and below with 8 civs and 10 CS's...I don't dare try to add more civs than that.

Civ V will use every core on your CPU, benefit greatly from overclocks on Intels I5 / I7, benefit from hyper threading, use more than 4 Gb ram, more than 1 Gb Vram, make good use of the highest end GPU available ...

And still run attrociously bad towards the end game :lol:.

The game uses A LOT of the cpu, your video card/ram mostly just helps when you are panning your screen and how far you can zoom out before it gets really choppy.

load times/computer turns focus mostly on the cpu as far as i can tell.

in my opinion, to play the game on anything larger than a standard map(without getting a headache)you will need a half decent quad core cpu with decent pci express video card. I think 4gigs of ram would still hold up.

Thanks for the replies! Right now I've got an intel core 2 duo 7400 @ 2.8Ghz...and 4 gigs ram. I think my graphics card was a standard model with the Dell 4600 I have...so probably not great. Sounds like I'll have to just get a new computer if I want it working really well. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the replies! Right now I've got an intel core 2 duo 7400 @ 2.8Ghz...and 4 gigs ram. I think my graphics card was a standard model with the Dell 4600 I have...so probably not great. Sounds like I'll have to just get a new computer if I want it working really well. Thanks for the help!

If thats the case, upgrading your vidcard might help a lot.

My brother had a standard 64bit i7 pre-built computer with the standard onboard video card, It ran Civ V like crap.

I gave him my old Geforce 8800GT and now the game runs amazing. Make sure your mother board has at least a x8 pci express slot for this though. x16 would be better.

If you tried that and it still sucked, at least you can still use that video card in your new comp.

*edit newer video cards require a *newer* power supply which you might not have. The power supply requires a special type of power connector for these cards.

I had to give my brother my old power supply as well.. I think Dells use their own power supplies, I'm not sure... so maybe you're just better off upgrading the comp all together. sorry for getting complicated!

Hey, thanks for the tip! I think it'd be a bit simpler and in the long term, cheaper, just to get a new comp. Took some extra hours at the job to start saving for it... just get a nice one and have it last a while. Thanks again!

Top Bottom